Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times

Advertisements

I have to laugh when I look at jobs posted online. How on earth can ANYBODY survive on $10-$12 hr in today's world?

And how can certain employers think it's ok to offer that kind of pay for a skilled trade like carpentry or plumbing? Ok, McDonalds or Walmart, yea, but a technical trade?

What gives here? Who is taking these jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM

57 posts, read 153,745 times
That is so wrong. I can only see totally desperate people willing to take such a low salary for a technical trade job.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
When I was 18 years old 15 bucks an hours was considered passable. That was decades ago. Anyone who will work for 10 bucks an hour is a thrawl. I know of young people who are willing to work and have developed a skill who work for 20 dollars an hour and they barely get by.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,233 times
new york city minimum wage is $7.25 or so. not more than $7.50. nyc is more expensive than colorado. they survive by becoming sugar babies, or selling drugs, or living with 10 people in a studio apartment dropping rent to $100 a month or less. some live in their car. some live at shelters. non-orphans become basement kiddies. some are homeless and travel back and forth from warm to warm state based on the climate and month.

who is taking these jobs? illegal immigrants in the construction and fruit store industries (from what i have seen). they will undercut legal labor by a half. yes there are skilled laborers from this pool and if the employer or contractor sees value, he will offer a low wage. what will the laborer do? say no? money is money. they are illegal and cannot get a job legally so they will take what comes to them. there are supposedly 8 million illegal immigrants in the US. think of how many american born teenagers and young adults have no work because of this. i am not even talking about outsourcing labor such as IT. just hands-on be-there-in-real-life-labor.

Last edited by guest4; 04-11-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Step 1 in any trip through the critical thinking methodology is to "challenge that assumption."

The assumption is: Why do people in this town think that $10hr is "good money"?

My challenge is that IMO there aren't too many people here who think $10/hr is good money, but if you know any such people, wow, are they ever mistaken, for whatever reason(s) they may have.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
No we don't think it is good money, but if that is all we can find for a job, it is better than nothing at all or sitting on the dole. If employers aren't willing to offer better pay and no one is willing to "make" them do so, then we're left with little choice.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Jesus, you know, I've never been one to want to live off of Uncle Sam, but honestly, If I were to get laid off today, my UNEMPLOYMENT wages would be more than $10 hr. What would give me incentive to want to go bust my ass for less money than I could make sitting at home?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Seems to me the minimum wage should be a lot higher. However, that would set off a firestorm of the usual arguments from the right.

A better solution is to develop a skill that is in low supply but high demand. For example, most engineers who I know are gainfully employed at good wages.

The truth is that businesses pay as little as possible.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Jesus, you know, I've never been one to want to live off of Uncle Sam, but honestly, If I were to get laid off today, my UNEMPLOYMENT wages would be more than $10 hr. What would give me incentive to want to go bust my ass for less money than I could make sitting at home?
just be glad you have a great job~ not everyone does...And contrary to some peoples opinion its not just illegals that must take those jobs~ if your not working its better than nothing...and if you won't work for that there is always someone to tell you that you should get off your a** and get one of those jobs. And the same people who think that are the same ones that want to do away with minimum wage.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
A big reason is the illegal immigrants driving down the wages. Carpenters, plumbers, HVAC, roofers, landscapers, etc. I know a few who had to move because they can't compete with an illegal who works for half of what others charge. When I moved here I had to have my landscaping done in the back yard...got several bids, one of which was almost half of the others. Care to guess why that was?

An no, I didn't hire the lowest bidder...I hired a local company who's been in business for 40+ years, using legal residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs