Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times

Advertisements

I would opt for a garage, although less for the snow and ice (of course, we haven't gotten a whopper storm lately) than for the extreme wind we often get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 10:48 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,981 times
Bullitt - Very cool.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM

665 posts, read 1,294,981 times
We have a small garage that we haven't used yet because it's full of boxes and tools and whatnot from recently moving in. But I'm not sure I actually care about using it for one of our cars. I've lived in the midwest most of my life and have never had a garage. I know all about the pain of dealing with the elements. It doesn't really bother me. Now having said that, my commute to work for the last nine years has literally been a few hundred feet. Now that I have a short commute and will have to drive, I might change my mind. But for now my plans are to make it into a little work shop and a place to keep our bikes, which we plan on using more than our cars in nicer weather.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
One aspect to consider about using a garage is that it reduces the environmental damage to your cars from both UV exposure and temperature swings. I'm an engineer. When we want to do a life time test to a product, we purposely subject it to severe temperature fluctuations. In my insulated garage, the temp never drops below 40 degrees nor climbs much above 80 during the summer. Outside fluctuations are more severe.

I live in a neighborhood where all houses have a 2 car garage and many have a 3 car. I'm amazed at how many of my neighbors leave there cars outside. Only in America do people park their expensive cars outside because their garage is full of worthless junk!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Bullitt - Very cool.
Thanks Carrera...the garage is the perfect place for a mancave. I spend more time there in the summer/fall than in the house. LOL It's now a neighborhood hangout.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Thanks Carrera...the garage is the perfect place for a mancave. I spend more time there in the summer/fall than in the house. LOL It's now a neighborhood hangout.
All it needs is a liquor license and some beer taps.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
All it needs is a liquor license and some beer taps.....
Roger that...and with all the food served here, I'll probably need a food license as well.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
I don't know how accurate this is, but when I was at the tire store the other day, another customer was being shown dry rot on all 4 of his tires, and the tire guy was saying being out in drastically changing day-night temperatures was a significant factor.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidsandDogs View Post
We'll be moving to Colorado Springs this summer and are wondering what's "necessary" in this region. Does a two car garage make life a lot easier or would we get by just fine with a carport? Are basements bonus living space or do they tend to feel damp most of the time?

What do you wish you had known when you first searched for a house in Colorado Springs? We do intend to rent for a year before we buy, but would like to make the most educated rental decision we can.
I have 2 Harleys, yes, for me a garage is a must, no way I'd leave my bikes sitting out in the open

Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 AM

193 posts, read 356,280 times
When we first moved here we lived in an apartment with no vehicle cover. We lived there through 110 degrees through to almost 0 degrees and did not *need* a garage. However, i would highly recommend one if you are able to afford it. The ability to avoid inclement weather is such a welcome luxury. Our new home with 2 car garage is so much more comfortable. I generally feel that my possessions, including my vehicle are more secure (I did not worry very much about break-ins, but scratches, etc are less of a concern with a garage). Even just the act of carrying in groceries is 10x easier. If your price range allows it (really anything about $1000/month, and some options below that), I would say: 100% go for the garage! Also resale has been mentioned...there are enough 2 car garages here that they are almost expected, with the edge being given to 3 car. I would not have looked at buying a home without one personally, so that would cut out a lot of potential interest.

A/C we don't have yet...hoping to get by without it. We will cave quickly if the weather is anything like it was summer of 2012. We got a quote in February for $4200, which hurt a bit. I was expecting closer to $2500 seeing as the winter months are less busy for AC folk. An existing unit would be an absolute plus. As would a basement. we didn't look for homes without basements either, but that is purely personal having grown up with them and understanding their value for my lifestyle, which involves liking my husband's crap to be out of eyesight. Also a nice cool retreat for the exercise equipment.

We have a south facing driveway and I second Bullitt's comment recommending that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs