Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM

21 posts, read 28,170 times

Advertisements

Going to be vacationing there soon. Looking for great craft beer and food combo locations. Also great steak location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladsheismyex View Post
Going to be vacationing there soon. Looking for great craft beer and food combo locations. Also great steak location.
Lots of options here. For the craft beer/food combo, I think the Blue Star (food) / Bristol (beer) combo is about as good as it gets. They are adjoining businesses south of I-25 on Tejon. I'm not the best authority on steak, but I've heard the Famous and MacKenzies (both on Tejon downtown) are excellent options. You didn't ask about breakfasts, but since I'm dispensing my personal version of local wisdom, if I could choose only one food experience in Colorado Springs, it would be the huevos rancheros at Adam's Mountain Cafe in Manitou Springs. Never get tired of that.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
Default Great food and beer selection...

Denver has plenty of craft beers and the food is great! Forget the Springs for variety!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 AM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times
For steak: The Famous, Mackenzie's Chop House, Texas Roadhouse, Pepper Tree.

Craft Beer/Food: Phantom Canyon, Trinity Brewing, Colorado Mountain Brewery, B.J.'s, Bristol Brewery.

The Famous and Pepper Tree are upscale, expensive and worth it. MacKenzie's is a bit more casual. Texas Roadhouse is definitely casual and less expensive (good for families). The Famous and MacKenzie's are located in the heart of downtown on Tejon. Texas Roadhouse has a couple of locations (that I know of), one on Academy near Union, the other is on the West Side on Centennial near Garden of the Gods road. Pepper Tree is near downtown and has a nice view of, well, downtown (and Kansas).

Phantom Canyon is a local institution; one of its founders was our current Governor; location downtown on Cascade. BJ's is a chain, but a popular one, with decent food and good beer, located on N. Nevada in the University Village Shopping Center about 3 miles north of downtown near UCCS. Trinity Brewing is on Garden of the Gods Road. Colorado Mt. Brewery has two locations, one in the Roundhouse (historic building) on 21st St in the Old Colorado City area, the other is north of town on Interquest Parkway at I-25, near the Air Force Academy.

This is just a start. Others will weigh in. Hope you enjoy your vacation here.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiJG123 View Post
Denver has plenty of craft beers and the food is great! Forget the Springs for variety!
Actually, Denver does not have a single craft brewery (to my knowledge) that is as locally important and nationally known as Bristol Brewery. The only other Colorado craft brewery as locally-connected, sustainable, etc. as Bristol is probably New Belgium up in Ft. Collins. I do like the Breckenridge Brewery Oatmeal Stout though. The food in Denver is OK, not great, but pretty good and probably improving despite the overwhelming abundance of bland national chain restaurants.

Most importantly, the original poster (OP) will be vacationing in Colorado Springs, not Denver. Having lived in Denver for roughly four years and experienced its endless traffic congestion trying to get from any Point A to any Point B, I can't in good conscience suggest the OP change his plans and visit Denver instead. Gotta love a little unsolicited Denver on Colorado Springs trash talk though!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Texas Roadhouse is definitely casual and less expensive (good for families). The Famous and MacKenzie's are located in the heart of downtown on Tejon. Texas Roadhouse has a couple of locations (that I know of), one on Academy near Union, the other is on the West Side on Centennial near Garden of the Gods road.
I think Academy and Union is a Texas T-Bone, not Roadhouse. There are two Roadhouses, one on 8th ST and the other on Powers. I love TR's steaks, they come out prepared just right every time. Yes it is noisy, but, I go for a good steak.

I haven't been to the other locations mentioned but have heard wonderful things about them. I've heard wonderful things about Phantom Canyon.

I also like Rocky Mountain Brewery, it is smaller, they have wonderful ciders. There is a great food truck, BZ's BBQ, on the property. Their cheese curds are wonderful!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:23 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times
Captain - You're right. I'm always getting 'em mixed up. Texas t-bone is also the name of the one I mentioned on Centennial. thanks for the correction.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM

55 posts, read 87,424 times
Probably the best craft beer(s) I've had in a long time was from BierWerks in Woodland Park, unfortunately just Dutch lunch for food. The Famous definitely for steaks - bring a wad of cash. How 'bout that new Brazilian joint Tucanos or something? Haven't been, but heard it was good. Agree, Bristols, Phantom, CO Mtn, plenty of good choices. Most bars around town have at least one Colorado beer on tap (besides Coors).

Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurManby View Post
Probably the best craft beer(s) I've had in a long time was from BierWerks in Woodland Park, unfortunately just Dutch lunch for food. The Famous definitely for steaks - bring a wad of cash. How 'bout that new Brazilian joint Tucanos or something? Haven't been, but heard it was good. Agree, Bristols, Phantom, CO Mtn, plenty of good choices. Most bars around town have at least one Colorado beer on tap (besides Coors).
ArthurManby I like your style. Great natural hot-springs down in New Mexico Territory by the way you had there back in the 1890's, hard to get to, but worth the effort. Lotsa new-agey types down there these days. No one ever did make any money off of 'em, but sure a cool semi-secret spot!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Trinity is awesome, best beer in the Springs, period. They have food as well. Owner of Trinity was a brewer for Bristol for like 12 years or something, so they know a thing or 2 about beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs