Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,415 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of expanding my job search to COS. I'm currently in Denver. I love Denver, but the district I work for is just plain awful. We have about a 50% turnover rate. I've been applying like crazy to every district in Denver and have gotten a lot of interviews, but keep getting told that I was the "2nd candidate" or "just missed it." I previously taught in the Vail valley area and my school was great but I hated living there (not a huge skier and there is nothing else to do). I don't know much about COS so I would have to do some more research, but I do know that I would have to live in a more metro/populated area if I were to move. I have 3 years of experience, two in mild/moderate sped and one in regular ed elementary. Are their specific school districts I should apply to or ones I should avoid? Any that might be near a decent place for a single 25 year old to live? Also, I noticed that the salaries are significantly lower than the Denver area ( would be a $6,000-$8,000 cut for me). Is the cost of living significantly lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
All districts here are good, though most say D2 is the least best.

Districts with excellent reps are 38, 20, 12, 11 (main city), 8 and out east there is D49 which some claim is fine but all agree their board has had problems in years past.

Look in the index of key threads for good threads on teaching and schools.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I don't think cost of living is too much lower here, and yes, we are paid less. I would second the advice to stay out of Harrison District 2.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the advice- I applied to the districts listed above and avoided district 2. We had a couple of teachers in Vail who came from district 2 and I remember them not having very positive things to say. What about the Widefield school district? Is that not really within the city area? I remember when I was first looking they seemed pretty desperate to employ people. They called me and left a message saying I should call back if I was interested in an interview. I didn't because I'd just accepted the position in Vail. They proceeded to call me 5-6 times after that before I finally got a hold of them and was able to say I'd already accepted another position. If they're giving credit for steps, the salary would be more comparable to what I'm getting in Denver.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:46 PM

D3 is a good district to work in. It's not in the city, but not far from it.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM

34 posts, read 63,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
I am thinking of expanding my job search to COS. I'm currently in Denver. I love Denver, but the district I work for is just plain awful. We have about a 50% turnover rate. I've been applying like crazy to every district in Denver and have gotten a lot of interviews, but keep getting told that I was the "2nd candidate" or "just missed it." I previously taught in the Vail valley area and my school was great but I hated living there (not a huge skier and there is nothing else to do). I don't know much about COS so I would have to do some more research, but I do know that I would have to live in a more metro/populated area if I were to move. I have 3 years of experience, two in mild/moderate sped and one in regular ed elementary. Are their specific school districts I should apply to or ones I should avoid? Any that might be near a decent place for a single 25 year old to live? Also, I noticed that the salaries are significantly lower than the Denver area ( would be a $6,000-$8,000 cut for me). Is the cost of living significantly lower?

Why on earth would there be a $6000 + cut in salary... if it is the same BOE (CO) and the responsibilities would essentially be the same. WHAT would justify that amount of loss in COS??

Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times
Property taxes and the resistance of many people in town to raise property taxes to help schools. I almost see no point in attempting to get a bond or a tax raise for the schools in our area because chances are high they will be voted down.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM

Salaries are not set by the state. They are dependent on local taxes. Therefore COS teachers get less money even though the cost of living may be comparable to Denver - generally speaking.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Default Got a job offer...not sure about CO Springs

I was just offered a job in the Fountain-Fort Carson district as an elementary classroom teacher. I also have a job offer in Denver and need to decide soon. The Denver school is a lower-performing school (although I am used to that) and is also in sped, which isn't my first choice. I think the job in COS is probably better, but I am afraid that it would be a mistake to move there. I lived in Vail when I first moved to CO (only job I could find) and the job was great but I HATED living there. It was extremely isolated and all anyone cared about was skiing/boarding. I am not really outdoorsy at all- I don't mind doing that stuff every once in awhile, but it's certainly not a favorite hobby of mine. I was thrilled when I moved to Denver to see that people had a lot more diverse interests an there are plenty of people here who aren't obsessed with the outdoors either. It also seems that people say COS is not really great for young professionals. I'm single, female, and 25 years old. I like that there are always things to do in Denver and a lot of other young professionals too. I did a search, and the few threads that mention young professionals basically seem to be giving the advice of moving to Denver instead. Is that pretty much true?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
I have several friends that teach in Fountain-Fort Carson and LOVE it!!! They say it is a terrific district and supported well due to being a military district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs