Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 PM

114 posts, read 125,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
An 8 year old kid was gunned down 2 blocks from my house while walking home from school, for a Suerño gang initiation. That's when I had enough, the cheap rent wasn't worth it anymore.
See my first comment in this tread, "you get what you pay for". Sometimes it doesn't pay to save! Whether it is rent, maintenance, lower price, lower taxes.

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory."
--- Aldo Gucci
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
See my first comment in this tread, "you get what you pay for". Sometimes it doesn't pay to save! Whether it is rent, maintenance, lower price, lower taxes.

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory."
--- Aldo Gucci
Well, I moved up north, problem solved.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
An 8 year old kid was gunned down 2 blocks from my house while walking home from school, for a Suerño gang initiation. That's when I had enough, the cheap rent wasn't worth it anymore.
My wife and I were actually considering some nice but fairly inexpensive town-homes in that area. Then I checked the crime report, saw the child's death, and we crossed that area off our list. The gang issue needs to be handled.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Crime down in Colorado Springs and very high rate of catching the bad guy compared to national average: Violent crime is down in Colorado Springs, believe it or not

Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Crime down in Colorado Springs and very high rate of catching the bad guy compared to national average: Violent crime is down in Colorado Springs, believe it or not
Excellent!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Great news. Love to see the criminals put away so the rest can live safely.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 PM

651 posts, read 862,940 times
I would like to keep the taxes low. I do not think more police officers will automatically make things safe.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM

114 posts, read 125,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I would like to keep the taxes low. I do not think more police officers will automatically make things safe.
On the flip side, decreasing police officers does not necessarily save you money.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,853 times
I don't think it's a law enforcement issue or a tax issue.

To somewhat echo Sonic's post, I think it has more to do with our collective values and how we no longer have them.

Everyone sneers at each other everywhere you go. The guy in traffic gives you a dirty look as he blows your doors off to pass while driving completely too fast, completely ignoring the law....neighbors don't know each other or even look at each other in some cases.

No one has courtesy or humility about themselves. Instead everyone seems to have an over inflated sense of ego and self-importance. We have cell phones glued to our heads and walk around every place as if we own it. We're so full of ourselves.

I lived in Japan for many years and it's night and day different there from a cultural perspective. Does crime happen there, sure, but nothing like we have here in the US.

After the Tsunami disaster in 2011, where entire regions were completely destroyed, were there riots? No Looting? No. Were people vandalizing and robbing the vacated homes? No.

Shop keepers regularly display their merchandise outside their stores so people walking by can shop, while they take a nap inside. No one steals any of it.

Young kids, 5 and 6 yrs old take trains to school by themselves and no one harms them.

On top of that, their population is 128Million to our 316 Million, but all crammed into a country about the size of California.

Over there, if you find yourself in a confrontation with someone, getting jumped, or someone broke into your car, chances are, it was a couple of drunk Americans.
Case in point, Okinawa always has trouble from our military members commiting rapes and other crimes, most of the time because the servicemen are drunk and looking for trouble.

Japan has widely ranging levels of income as well. They have very wealthy and very poor. Poverty or wealth doesn't seem to matter there, as it relates to crime.

Their culture is more focused on the collective good, with a sense of service and humilty, rather than the self. It is like that good ol' fashioned Vulcan notion that Spock used to teach..."the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few." Seriously...but we're the opposite.

I'm all for being an individual, but we've created a society of "It's all about Me." I'm going to do what I want, when I want. What's right, what's wrong....irrelevant.

Until we change that mindset, it won't matter how much money we throw at it, or how many police officers are out there.

Last edited by Terytee; 07-10-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM

In Japan, the head of a major airline makes slightly more than the thousands of people who work under him, instead of two hundred times as much as the regular employee. I don't think we can fix the issue of greed unless it is from the top down. Too many people today with middle class jobs that think nothing of offering someone else a job they wouldn't want to touch with a stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs