Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,888,435 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Springs during the 50's and 60's - no Jurassic Park jokes, please. Then I graduated from Colorado Springs High and began my ramblin' ways - up to Denver, then to Boulder. Then the Springs again before hitting the road to New Mexico. I loved the freedom of western highways, but I always came back to my home town, and neighboring Manitou became my base of operations. I would be in Manitou still except that Ft Lewis College in Durango offered me a job. As soon as I hit the Four Corners Region, I fell madly in love with the area. Colorado Springs and Manitou were in my bones, however and I continued to go back and forth over Wolf Creek Pass every few years.

Finally in the summer of 2006, I returned out here, determined to stay in the Four Corners until the end of time. I haven't been back to the Front Range since. A friend has persuaded me to join him on a trip to the Springs on June 13th. I imagine all sorts of things have changed in 7 years - especially with last year's fires and all.

Can you folks who currently reside in my home town give me some ideas of what to expect? Has Manitou finally turned into Aspen? Is the Ancient Mariner still there? What about South Side Johnny's down town? Are the guys in Martini Shot still playing somewhere around town? What about that Mexican drive thru right off 24 near the corner where Van Briggle Pottery used to be? What's new and what's not? What old haunts should I now avoid, and what new places are worth checking out?

Thanks guys, and don't forget to save a few miller moths for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,139,998 times
Manitou is still weird and proud of it! I am not familiar with the bars but I am sure someone else will chime in. The damage to the mountain from the fire will be visible for many years to come, and driving through Mountain Shadows is really strange because it looks much different now.

And you can have all the miller moths you want - we will all start a collection for you! (Have not seen any yet this year...)

Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 PM

598 posts, read 1,540,536 times
Southside Johnnies is still there...great place!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:14 PM

812 posts, read 1,463,676 times
Well, for one, the Manitou Spa building was being restored about the time you left. It's done, which is better than it being torn down. Adam's Mountain Cafe moved in, and the huevos rancheros have not suffered at all. Manitou is not Aspen, thank goodness. The ski-balls still roll in the penny arcade.

I wish, really wish, I could recommend you go to the Mexican drive-thru on 21st just south of Highway 24, only problem I have with the place is the terrible stench of sewage (and/or ammonia, which may be an attempt to mask the sewage smell) whenever I've walked in the place in the last five years (three different times). I'd gently steer you to get some Hawai'ian tacos with mango salsa at Laau's in the alley behind the building at Cache La Poudre and Tejon across from CC. That place went in a few years ago and I'm still not tired of it. Try the horchata, or a PBR for a buck.

Overall, I find the vibe of CS has improved in the last seven years. Most things still pretty much the same. Some of the biggest fundamentalist organizations up north have experienced ... ahem ... leadership changes, which has been a bit of a relief for many of us tired of all the national showboating/grandstanding. Things are less extreme on that front, quieter.

Hopefully others will share more. Great to have a native son (son?) back for a few days. Great to hear you still feel the place in your bones.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:12 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,888,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Well, for one, the Manitou Spa building was being restored about the time you left. It's done, which is better than it being torn down. Adam's Mountain Cafe moved in, and the huevos rancheros have not suffered at all. Manitou is not Aspen, thank goodness. The ski-balls still roll in the penny arcade.

I wish, really wish, I could recommend you go to the Mexican drive-thru on 21st just south of Highway 24, only problem I have with the place is the terrible stench of sewage (and/or ammonia, which may be an attempt to mask the sewage smell) whenever I've walked in the place in the last five years (three different times). I'd gently steer you to get some Hawai'ian tacos with mango salsa at Laau's in the alley behind the building at Cache La Poudre and Tejon across from CC. That place went in a few years ago and I'm still not tired of it. Try the horchata, or a PBR for a buck.

Overall, I find the vibe of CS has improved in the last seven years. Most things still pretty much the same. Some of the biggest fundamentalist organizations up north have experienced ... ahem ... leadership changes, which has been a bit of a relief for many of us tired of all the national showboating/grandstanding. Things are less extreme on that front, quieter.

Hopefully others will share more. Great to have a native son (son?) back for a few days. Great to hear you still feel the place in your bones.
Thanks for the info! And thanks to everyone else who replied. I'm so glad the penny arcade is still there in Manitou. Maybe there's hope after all!

I want to take my friend down to Pikes Perk for a good cup of coffee. Is it still there downtown? Have any new places come in that have great coffee and tea and maybe a few munchies plus a laid back atmosphere?

I worked at the Broadmoor Hotel for a while, and I used to take friends there for a stroll around the grounds. Can a person who isn't a guest still do that? Does anyone know?

Old 05-25-2013, 05:25 PM

812 posts, read 1,463,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thanks for the info! And thanks to everyone else who replied. I'm so glad the penny arcade is still there in Manitou. Maybe there's hope after all!

I want to take my friend down to Pikes Perk for a good cup of coffee. Is it still there downtown? Have any new places come in that have great coffee and tea and maybe a few munchies plus a laid back atmosphere?

I worked at the Broadmoor Hotel for a while, and I used to take friends there for a stroll around the grounds. Can a person who isn't a guest still do that? Does anyone know?
Pikes Perk is still there but its called something else. You can still walk around the Broadmoor w/o renting a hotel room. There's a cool coffee/tea place in Cheyenne Canyon about a mile or so west of Cresta on Cheyenne Rd called Sacred Grounds or something like that. Very chill and laid back local place. If you've not been to Cy's Burgers (if you eat meat) on 19th and Uintah, you should check it out. Been there with the exact same booths and decor since the 1950's. I think they may have served dinosaur back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs