Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 AM

409 posts, read 703,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Good luck with your move. Let me know if you need any help, etc.

I love the snow...the more, the better! Not much snow the last few years here in Colorado Springs. Plus, it melts rather fast here when you do get it.

What part of Wisconsin are you guys originally from? Lots of Wisconsinites here in Colorado Springs. Heck, we even have our own Wisconsin-themed bar in town.
I'm from Central Wisconsin, and my husband is from the Southeast part of the state. Wisconsin-themed bar? We can wear our Cheeseheads?

Here's a snow question... Is Colorado Springs prepared for it? Do they have good removal equipment, plows, and training? Are people ok driving in it?

Here in MD we get a little snow every year, and it's a big fat mess where nobody can plow correctly, they cancel schools if there's a 1/2 inch in the forecast, and nobody can drive. We actually don't venture out when it snows, because we live on a BIG (and I mean BIG) hill that doesn't get plowed. And then the power goes out for 2 days.

I'm curious how the people who live in the hilly areas do when it snows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
OK. I have choiced to give up on trying to save the English language. Itz 2 L8...
Datz so kewl.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I gave up on that when "troop" started referring to a single soldier.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 PM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
Schools shut down for (it seems, for me, in District 49) about three inches. Takes more for District 11 and 12 to close school. Part of it is out in Academy 20 and D49 you get these ground blizzards since you're more fully out of the foothills and into the plains.

Takes probably 6+ inches to start affecting city services.

Snow plowing is pretty poor, imo. Why am I being so diplomatic? It SUCKS. If you live on any street beyond I-25, Academy, Powers, and other randomly selected streets, you won't have any snow plows. But no matter, the sun melts it off unless you're in a shadow. I can't respond to the hill question, as I live downtown where it is very flat. Driving to work though is scary, especially around Carefree circle. (There was a video a few years ago that was... interesting, but I drove by a multi car accident driving to work a couple months ago after a snowfall)

Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
I'm from Central Wisconsin, and my husband is from the Southeast part of the state. Wisconsin-themed bar? We can wear our Cheeseheads?

Here's a snow question... Is Colorado Springs prepared for it? Do they have good removal equipment, plows, and training? Are people ok driving in it?

Here in MD we get a little snow every year, and it's a big fat mess where nobody can plow correctly, they cancel schools if there's a 1/2 inch in the forecast, and nobody can drive. We actually don't venture out when it snows, because we live on a BIG (and I mean BIG) hill that doesn't get plowed. And then the power goes out for 2 days.

I'm curious how the people who live in the hilly areas do when it snows.
Just south of La Crosse for me. Yes, Cheeseheads are welcome at the local Wisco pub!

Snow removal definitely isn't the same as Wisconsin. It's not horrible, but it can be challenging when you get a fair amount of snow. Main roads are ok, but side streets are a challenge. No biggie for me...I just plan ahead, leave earlier and drive slower. Quite a few people here who just don't know how to drive in bad conditions.

Here's a link to a video taken a couple of years ago. (pardon the language)
20 Car Pile up on South Carefree and Powers Colorado Springs (Benny Hill Version) - YouTube

Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 AM

29 posts, read 49,808 times
Snowfalls vary greatly, generally getting more accumulation the further north and east you go.
Here's the link to the city's site regarding snow removal and routes.
City of Colorado Springs - Snow and Ice Response

Of course, that doesn't include summer storms. Today's the anniversary of last years hail storm on the east side.
News coverage:
Hail storm June 6, 2012 | koaa.com | Colorado Springs | Pueblo |

BTW, loved your reference on the English language. Hillarious! Had to write that one down.

Jill

Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I gave up on that when "troop" started referring to a single soldier.
They are called War Fighters now...

Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,707 times
Anyone have info or opinions on the Catholic schools in Col Springs? My wife and I both went to Catholic schools for both primary and secondary (University of Dayton) in Ohio. Our kids are currently in Catholic grade school in Ohio and we all love it and believe in it very much!

Any help would be appreciated. Been looking at homes for quite a while in Black Forest area (maybe God does not want us there?). Lol. Feel so bad for all of those folks. Absolutely frightening!

Any help on St Mary's and other feeder schools would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
As far as I can tell they're all pretty good parochial schools around here. I've tutored some kids from Pauline Memorial and they seemed to have very good academics. I had friends who went to St. Mary's and it seemed to be like any other high school in town except for mass and religious studies stuff.

Be aware, however, that unlike some places back East, out here private schools are not really better educationally than the local public schools - most of the local public schools are good.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,707 times
Thanks so much for the input. I would love to hear from anyone who currently has kids in the Catholic school system or recently had their kids there. My mother in law is a 47 year retired teacher from our Catholic grade school and my wife will be difficult on this choice. I prefer to fight the battles that I can actually control!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs