Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 AM

146 posts, read 266,432 times

Advertisements

Any denomonation of course!

Churches that you walk into and feel filled.

I've seen pictures of the church at the Air Force Academy, and that must feel amazing walking into. I don't know what denomination it is.

I for one enjoy visiting churches that are special in architecture or feeling.

So can you help me gather a don't miss list of churches in the Colorado Springs area?

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
When I walk into a church and see grand sculptures that speak of amassed wealth, my breath is taken away. Not in awe of the beauty, but in awe of the hypocrisy. An organization that claims to follow the bible should be focusing on helping those in need. Organize soup kitchens, create recovery programs, and try to be more like Jesus.

I love great architecture, but it saddens me to see churches spending the money they raised on opulence rather than outreach.

--This entire post is on topic because it responds to the second line in the original post about "Churches you walk into and feel filled."

Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ View Post

I've seen pictures of the church at the Air Force Academy, and that must feel amazing walking into. I don't know what denomination it is.
It has very impressive architecture but that's about all. Because it's all denominational and all religions it's homogenised nothingness. You can't pray in Jesus's name in a military chapel.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
When I walk into a church and see grand sculptures that speak of amassed wealth, my breath is taken away. Not in awe of the beauty, but in awe of the hypocrisy. An organization that claims to follow the bible should be focusing on helping those in need. Organize soup kitchens, create recovery programs, and try to be more like Jesus.

I love great architecture, but it saddens me to see churches spending the money they raised on opulence rather than outreach.

--This entire post is on topic because it responds to the second line in the original post about "Churches you walk into and feel filled."

Bingo. Nail on the head. Winner winner chicken dinner.

I walked into the cathedral at the academy and instantly walked out feeling sick.

Don't get me started on the popes funny hats and gold chairs.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I think most of the old churches downtown are pretty amazing inside.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:29 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think most of the old churches downtown are pretty amazing inside.
Shove Chapel, on the Colorado College campus, is especially amazing. Used to go to a local church (IAC) that met there weekly, but CC politely asked them to move on several years ago. I think Shove is just used for various non-religious college/community gatherings at this point (concerts, etc.) but the architecture remains amazing despite the fact the college has done away with the whole "faith" purpose for which it was originally built. I don't get the sense modern secular college students and their professors much appreciate having actual real church services occuring in their little bastions of "enlightened" athiesm, at least not the students/professors I happen to know. Still, everyone can at least appreciate the amazing architecture, even if all that money for stones/labor should have just been handed over to the poor of 150 years ago instead of building such gorgeous buildings.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Since my faith has nothing whatever to do with any church or religion, I have no particular spiritual investment in judging the grandeur of churches. I'm free to appreciate them simply on their asthetic merits alone. And as an artist...I can't help it.

But I haven't actually visited any here in the Springs. I did go to an event at a place in Denver actually called "The Church" which was at one point a church, but is now a nightclub. It was pretty cool.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ View Post
The upper floor houses the Protestant Chapel. Soaring upward, there's a giant cross over the altar that completely fills the space, 150 feet high. At the back, an enormous pipe organ. Smoked glass between the 17 spires, with stained glass panels between them. Gorgeous.

Beneath all that sits the Catholic Chapel, a Jewish Chapel, and a Muslim Prayer Room. The Catholic Chapel includes a somewhat modern-looking Stations of the Cross. The Jewish Chapel is surrounded by stone flooring shipped from Jerusalem, a gift from the Israeli Air Force.

The Chapel is generally open to the public. There are frequent weddings on Saturdays, so you might want to check first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1
It has very impressive architecture but that's about all. Because it's all denominational and all religions it's homogenised nothingness.
I strongly disagree. There are separate facilities within for Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish services, so no one facility is "all religions." Homogenized nothingness? That's like saying St Patrick's Cathedral is just a bunch of old rocks. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you're in the minority. The Cadet Chapel has been among Colorado's leading tourist attractions since it was built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1
You can't pray in Jesus's name in a military chapel.
That's not remotely close to the truth. Right now, there's a strong push to avoid prayer "in Jesus' name" at staff meetings and military briefings, out of deference to people with other beliefs. But Chapel services are not a part of that push. The purpose of Chapels, and the Chaplaincy, is to see to the spiritual needs of the military members. They most certainly pray in Jesus' name in both the Protestant Chapel and the Catholic Chapel each and every Sunday.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:05 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Shove Chapel is very nice. And it IS used for any number of Christian gatherings. There are some great programs put on there - especially at Christmas time. The faculty and students do NOT hold it in some sort of contempt as one poster implies. They used to allow a Buddhist group to meet there once a week for meditation sessions. Don't know if they still do, but there's nothing wrong with that. I went to several Buddhist meetings there (in addition to the various Christian ones), and they were always very spiritual and respectful. A local classical guitarist used to practice sometimes at Shove on week day afternoons. He played pieces like "The Cathedral" and "Prayer for the love of God." Very beautiful.

I grew up attending the First Christian Church in downtown Colorado Springs, so I have a soft spot for it. Very beautiful older church where religous concerts (and other) are offered from time to time due to the good acoustics there. The First Christian Church is involved in a number of charities, BTW - especially the food pantry downtown and the soup kitchen. Oh, and the "aetheists" at Shove also run a very generous soup kitchen on Sundays when most others are closed.

Finally, as the daughter of a 30 year career military officer, I can tell you that prayer and worship most certainly do belong in the military. "Ecumenical" does not equate with "souless devil worshipper." I prayed for my Dad's safe return (and that of ALL our troops) every day of the two tours he served in Vietnam, just as family members of active duty military pray for the safety of their loved ones today.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 06-15-2013 at 12:34 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Some church donors donate specifically for the church structure itself, when a new one's being built. They're proud of their church and they want it to be beautiful and inspiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs