Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:11 PM

610 posts, read 695,982 times

Advertisements

Okay,

So, back in January... I was under the mistaken impression that I was moving to the denver metro. after some helpful soul on this forum linked me to the unbelievably helpful website called PadMapper, and my girlfriend found out that her company has a branch in Co. Springs, it looks like there, rather than denver, will be the move.

Anyway... couple questions...
i'd like to live in the most urban feeling parts of colorado. it seems the intersection (and surrounding area) of chelten & fountain are FULL of multi-unit apartment complexes. to me, thats desireable. i love being around lots of people from lots of backgrounds, and feel mostly comfortable in a working-class environment (that's where i grew up). we don't have any kids (and don't plan to any time soon), and are strictly relocating to Co. Springs for better employment opportunities and lower housing costs so that we can focus on paying off our debts. anyway, where is the most "urban-feeling" area of colorado springs? something that is closest (relatively speaking) to how it feels in chicago?

also, i'm not particularly concerned about your "high-crime" areas in colorado springs. i understand fully those of you who do not prefer to live in such areas, but i grew up around much of that in Chicago and i don't feel like Co. Springs will compare. so let me ask, as well, is there a particularly ethnic area of co. springs? i'd love to live around a lot of mexican/central/south american and/or black folks. adds the color and soul to your neighborhood if you ask me. where could i find that?

and third... and this may be the wrong forum to ask... is there a particular area of town that medical dispenaries are confined to? i've suffered from episodic cluster headaches since i was 12 (google that if you want to know how awful they are) and the prospect of living in a state where you are free to use marijuana (the only thing that's EVER eased the pain) as medicine is enticing to me. no more feeling like my neighbors will call the cops or i'll do 30 days for a tiny bag.

anyways, let me know. thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:47 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,818,667 times
Just so long that you're aware the area around Chelton and Fountain is about the least desirable area.

Use padmapper.com to the max, might be something a good deal better for not much more money.

MMJ outlets are found all over. Check the local Independent paper for listings and a special issue.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,124,133 times
Being Chelton and fountain is the least desirable area ( and here I thought I was in the worst area~ Bejiou and Murray) you will be in about the lowest cost area. K now of several mmj shops close. You can find them by the green crosses. Besides the minorities you mentioned the are quite a few Asians around, a lot of Korean churches in the area. I keep hearing about how white the springs is but I see quite a few minorities. Wish you luck in your pursuits.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 PM

6,807 posts, read 10,454,887 times
There are MMJs all over town - quite a few on the West side in particular.

The south parts of town are more diverse than up north, imho. Where you mention would be fine given your awareness that you mentioned, as would areas around Fort Carson, Widefield, Fountain, Security, anything along Academy Blvd, areas around Prospect Lake/Memorial park maybe also.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:10 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,354,132 times
Why would anyone live near chelton/fountain? You might save, what,$100 a month in rent?

Not worth it.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,077,890 times
To the OP. I can understand wanting diversity. I can't understand being perfectly fine or even wanting a high crime area. My neighborhood is black and white. Pretty much everyone is friendly. Desiring to live in an area where you or your girlfriend might be shot for a gang initiation, someone might vandalize your car without a good reason, or you may find your security deposit stolen because you are renting from slum lords is beyond me. If you are looking for a poor area with high crime, you have found it. It is beyond me why you desire it.

There are other areas that also have racial mixing that are not dangerous. If you are a mixed race couple and are concerned about perception, don't be. There are tons of mixed race couples in the Springs. I can't tell you how many, because I don't notice it anymore. In Iowa, if you saw one in a two month period, that was pretty high.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM

^ to the dude above... i'm not indicating a desire to live somewhere "high-crime"... just a lack of concern for it. the city where i spent much of my time growing up was portrayed by the local media as a veritable warzone all throughout the late 90's and early 00's... but neither i nor my family members ever perceived much danger beyond the necessity of being smart and aware. i only picked that intersection because a quick google maps search of "apartments colorado springs" denotes a dense cluster of options concentrated around that intersection, and padmapper indicates that area has the lowest median rent. i know NOTHING of the city other than what google maps tells me. you don't have to berate me for over it.. that doesn't really give me any constructive information.

the whole reason i asked is just to understand what the best options were. i want the lowest cost, and would like color and density. it doesn't have to be the same criteria YOU'D use to pick a new residence, but just some answers about the best places in the city to fulfill those is all i'm looking for.

this was a good answer:
Quote:
The south parts of town are more diverse than up north, imho. Where you mention would be fine given your awareness that you mentioned, as would areas around Fort Carson, Widefield, Fountain, Security, anything along Academy Blvd, areas around Prospect Lake/Memorial park maybe also.
anybody got anything else to provide? thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,077,890 times
The difference between berating and education is the desire to learn. I'm sorry you feel that way, and I hope you are safe in your decision.

The area you have selected does have the factors of low rent and density. Your tools were correct. If you search hard enough, you can find some apartments available for under 400/month.

For the record, I don't consider children that are the victims of gang initiations to be "stupid or unaware", which would be the opposite of not having danger beyond the necessity of being "smart and aware". I hope you did not mean to imply such things.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:34 PM

a year later, and I have lived in the exact area you said I might get shot in a gang initiation for 11 months. and this whole town is soft ahahahah .... people are SO friendly here. i think you should probably step outside of your comfort zone once in a while if you think the south Springs is any kind of dangerous. I have met the nicest people in my life here. the exact neighborhood I live in would be like.... easily high-end working-class, just fine to raise a family back home in IL. there is ALMOST no danger here. that whole thing about getting shot in a gang initiation, I think, was a little too much hyperbole. just found this post and thought I'd share the experience.

that said, I have heard gunshots a couple times. but this stuff is always confined to people who are involved with each other on some criminal level. and hearing gunshots back home was all too regular. i feel like i can finally BREATHE in this neighborhood

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM

20,270 posts, read 14,502,944 times
I'm glad that you have found somewhere you can happily call home. I've lived in much rougher places, too. Cincinnati, OH has a real ghetto called Over the Rhine and I spent quite a lot of time living on the fringe of it, or walking or riding public transit through there. I've experienced the worst of other cities, too. Even Des Moines, IA has worse areas in my opinion than this town does...and that is saying something. You don't get a lot more white-bread than Des Moines, IA!!

For some of us...we figure that if we can afford to live someplace that we will probably never hear a gunshot, that's best. But there are of course no guarantees! Random bad stuff happens even in the snootiest and trendiest of neighborhoods. You know what I really hoped to avoid by not considering that area, personally? Noisy neighbors. People that make drama in the middle of the night in the parking lot, yelling and screaming at each other. I find that annoying, and a lot more likely than being shot at. As far as the shooting thing...well. It does seem to happen a little more often in that part of town. A bar called YOLO got shot up this weekend. There was a shooting near Platte and Circle not long ago and another right in the street in broad daylight on Galley by the mall. Seems pretty random to me, but still it's not as bad as in almost any other city. DEFINITELY not like what I've heard about Chicago!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs