Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

Whoa, now waitaminnit! I'm not calling anyone names! Cross my heart! You have some really interesting numbers and good points, and so does smdensbcs! I'm just talking from a place of anecdotal observation, from talking to people at work and at the bars when we shoot pool, wherever stuff comes up. I feel...ideologically comfortable here. That's the best way to put it.

And I know a bunch of folks who voted Libertarian, and a bunch who fought to get Ron Paul his fair share of attention during the nomination and that sort of thing. The fact is...the guy should have had a chance running Libertarian 'cause he sure as heck never should have run as a Republican. But whaddyagonnado? And I'm way too new here to have a good grasp on state and local politics at this point but I'm learning.

The point I was trying to make earlier was that people say all kinds of things, trying to label each other, and often we aren't really right...sometimes not even when we're trying to stick labels on our own jackets! It took me a really long time to figure out that there is in fact a political name for what I believe in.

Personally I think that the lack of viable third party alternatives, especially in the major elections, is manipulation of the system by big money interests, that big government and big business are basically bloated limbs on the same beast, and that they won't "let" any horse win the race if they're not backing it. And yes I absolutely believe that goes all the way to actual tampering with the actual process itself if need be. I'm pretty cynical about the whole thing, honestly.

Lurtsman I think we do have a lot of common ground. We seem to have agreed on a number of things here, if memory serves. And we both used to live in IOWA...we should have like...a butter-cow secret handshake or something...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
..we should have like...a butter-cow secret handshake or something...lol.
There are some things I just prefer not to know...

Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
probably one of the last few bastions where this video is still relevent. ---your welcome..tube]
Devo - Beautiful World - YouTube

Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Butter cow eh? That sounds like a pretty heavy handshake and might involve quite a bit more "moo" noises than most secret handshakes

Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Butter cow eh? That sounds like a pretty heavy handshake and might involve quite a bit more "moo" noises than most secret handshakes
Yeah I dunno. It was either that or the "cornfield special" and I just didn't want to go there...

lol

Iowa.

You know...I wonder, how the votes would be influenced if all the military guys and their military families actually participated in the local voting and voted as Colorado citizens in national elections. Because, you know, lots of active duty soldiers and their spouses don't even change over to become official voting residents of this state when they (we) are stationed here.

At least not at first. I know many wind up putting down roots or retiring here, it's a pretty popular spot for former military to stay.

Everyone assumes military dudes are all conservative, as conceptually/traditionally liberals are in theory "anti-war"...but when most politicians don't even act like whatever party they're supposed to be representing anymore, and bearing in mind that many soldiers are just young fellas who had nothing better to do with a few years of their lives...you might be surprised, and I certainly wouldn't make assumptions about the lay of that land.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM

66 posts, read 180,126 times
I'm sort of middle of the road, politically, but if I had to choose between ultra-liberal cities and ultra-conservative cities, I'll pick the ultra-conservative cities anyday.

Ive lived in San Francisco. I've lived in Berkeley. Ive lived in Los Angeles. I've lived in Chicago, and Washington DC. What do they all have in common? Theyre all s**tholes.

given the choice between Salt Lake City and Detroit, I guess Im just going to have to "suffer" through boys with shirts and ties knocking on my door, and nowhere to buy booze on Sundays, and lots of jello, as opposed to the broke, crime-infested, politically stupid alternatives that most ultra-liberal cities have to offer.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelgents View Post
given the choice between Salt Lake City and Detroit, I guess Im just going to have to "suffer" through boys with shirts and ties knocking on my door, and nowhere to buy booze on Sundays, and lots of jello, as opposed to the broke, crime-infested, politically stupid alternatives that most ultra-liberal cities have to offer.
That's so funny and refreshing, because the standard crack on "ultra-liberal" cities I've always heard is that they're uber-rich university towns, like Boulder and Santa Barbara, or just plain rich faux-artsy places like Beverly Hills or Santa Fe, populated by "limousine liberals" who wring their hands over the plight of the "poor" (not that they know any) whilst drinking chardonnay. I've never heard "ultra-liberal" and broke/crime-infested city in the same sentence, but I suppose such places probably lean blue, for perfectly natural reasons - though I doubt more than 1 person in 10 living in such places bothers voting much. I probably wouldn't if I was surrounded by urban blight, endless cycles of gun violence, rampant drug abuse, etc, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs