Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 42,247 times

Advertisements

Our credit tanked living in our current state (long story) - So this leaves me asking this question - Does anyone know of any apartments that consider you even with bad credit? We have clean backgrounds, decent income (aka don't qualify for the income restricted apts), and we're really just good people in a bad spot. They have to be pet friendly as we have a fully trained dog under 30lbs who will be tagging along! I've been searching and just have a hard time. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated as we're now on a deadline !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,349,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrc10 View Post
Our credit tanked living in our current state (long story) - So this leaves me asking this question - Does anyone know of any apartments that consider you even with bad credit? We have clean backgrounds, decent income (aka don't qualify for the income restricted apts), and we're really just good people in a bad spot. They have to be pet friendly as we have a fully trained dog under 30lbs who will be tagging along! I've been searching and just have a hard time. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated as we're now on a deadline !
Any legitimate property manager will want to run a credit check before renting to you. But if you're up front with them about your situation, can show that your income is sufficient and stable now and that your past track record as renters is good, then a reasonable landlord may accept you if there's not a long line of other applicants ahead of you. Income you can prove with paystubs & employer info. Is there any way you can get some kind of letter of recommendation from a previous landlord?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,186,333 times
I will pm u a # ask Mark if he has anything I think he may have a cottage for $750,
Plus other things...but don't say someone on a forum gave you his #....be vaque...a friend of a friend thought he might have something...maybe in a group of friends can't remember which one...see, u are in a group of friends right here.
See if he will do it...he is flexible and a good guy.
Oh, and they are pet friendly...he could even have work for u anything from painting to carpentry...maybe, he has a crew, but still.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM

177 posts, read 420,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrc10 View Post
Tons of people have damaged credit. In fact there's a good chance that the people renting to you and/or checking your credit have damaged credit.

One option is to rent from private individuals who are leasing their condo/townhome/house. They are far less likely to run a credit check, tho' many will.

Regardless of who the landlord is, get them on the phone or go see the place, ask some questions about the unit and rental process, then ask if your credit has to be perfect. 99% will answer "no" and ask what kind of damage the credit has. Explain the damage and why. You have a good reason and that's all most will need to know.

The negative background items most landlords care about include:
-Evictions,
-Being sued by a landlord,
-Large tax liens that may jeopardize ability to pay rent,
-Felonies (criminal not credit),
-Fraud (criminal).

Most landlords do not care about:
-Bankruptsy, esp if you've paid bills on time since then,
-A couple of late bill payments if there's a good explanation.

One thing I've done that has helped immensely when I find a place I'm interested in is to get a recent credit report (get a free one every year from annualcreditreport.com, though it doesn't give score just details). Show the credit report to the prospective landlord and explain each potentially negative item. Then ask them to think about whether or not their comfortable renting to you given what they'll find when they run the credit report. Emphasize that you expect them to run the official credit report if they decide to proceed. Showing them the advance/unofficial credit report is simply intended to save you the application fee if the landlord opts not to rent to you. In other words do not spend money on application fees unless you know that the landlord will rent to you if the official credit report shows only the info you've already discussed.

Ultimately most landlords only want to know that you can afford the place. They care about income, and weeding out ax murderers. Convicted ax murderers.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more specific credit items and don't want to post it here.

Don't worry. Again, zillions of people have damaged credit and most people evaluating credit understand this.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,009 times
Myrab,

That is a great post.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 PM

177 posts, read 420,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Myrab,

That is a great post.
Thanks lurtsman.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
I know for a fact that garden terrace apartments on Rusina will rent to anyone with bad credit. Just as long as you're not a violent felon, and have proof of income, you're in.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,007 times
I need an apartment or house as soon as possible. I have horrible credit but have a good rental history. any help would be appreciated

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 PM

810 posts, read 843,786 times
some great info. We have been in our current place for 10 years, and I was surprised we could rent it at the time because of bad credit. But since then my credit has vastly improved and how can you beat 10 years at one place and NEVER a late payment, plus never been evicted or given notice or any of that. Take a long time to get the credit back once it tanks, i think landlords know this and see you making the effort to improve will help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs