Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,543 times

Advertisements

[quote=JustJamie;5625336]There's no Trader Joes?!
Can you order from their site?

No and No.

The closest one is in Santa Fe, NM. It's because they have no distribution center to cover this area, if we ever get one, then we will likely get several stores in the region. Sometimes my wife and I like to take a weekend getaway to Santa Fe and we go to TJ's while we're there to get our 'fix'.

I'm pretty sure I could start a successful side business by taking a bunch of orders from people on this site, then driving a van down there and bringing stuff back. It all depends on how much folks would be willing to pay for their Vanilla Bean Joe-Joes and Two-Buck Chuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,795 times
Are these stores located all through the Springs area,ie. how many walmarts,etc? I mean like a Walmart in sprinkled throughout as well as grocery stores , or just a walmart or g. store. I don't want to look for a neighborhood for son to got to school and there not be a walmart and grocery store, etc

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenan View Post
Are these stores located all through the Springs area,ie. how many walmarts,etc? I mean like a Walmart in sprinkled throughout as well as grocery stores , or just a walmart or g. store. I don't want to look for a neighborhood for son to got to school and there not be a walmart and grocery store, etc
Go to the wal-mart website, or google "supermarkets in colorado springs" and you'll get your answers immediately.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,856,519 times
I'd like to put a plug in for Sunflower Market, a co-op type market that has really great deals on produce and bulk food items. Their olive oil is a good deal, too. They overlap their sales days, so that on Wednesdays, you get two weeks worth of specials. If I'm going to be on that side of town, I make a point to stop there (hoping someday they open one closer to the westside).

I honestly do not know why Whole Foods is mentioned so much. Their prices are insane. Even if I could afford to, I wouldn't shop there - for the most part, you can find the same stuff a lot cheaper elsewhere.

By the way - I love King Soopers, too. They're the best supermarket chain here.

Last edited by mtngigi; 02-08-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I honestly do not know why Whole Foods is mentioned so much. Their prices are insane. Even if I could afford to, I wouldn't shop there - for the most part, you can find the same stuff a lot cheaper elsewhere.
When I go, I work the perimeter of Whole Foods. Seafood, Meat, Cheese, Deli, Bakery. Each has top quality stuff that you CAN'T find at Albertson's or King Soopers. Prices tend high, but not insanely so. I don't even look at the stuff on the shelves. That's where the ridiculous prices are, because it's all organic, small quantity merchandise. The blueberry breakfast sausage alone makes the occassional trip to Whole Foods worth every nickel.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM

50,758 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I'd like to put a plug in for Sunflower Market, a co-op type market that has really great deals on produce and bulk food items. Their olive oil is a good deal, too. They overlap their sales days, so that on Wednesdays, you get two weeks worth of specials. If I'm going to be on that side of town, I make a point to stop there (hoping someday they open one closer to the westside).

By the way - I love King Soopers, too. They're the best supermarket chain here.
I think that one of the reasons Whole Foods is mentioned so often -- or at least the reason I'm glad they're here -- is that COS is not exactly rich in ethnic food stores. Some of the ingredients for my Thai cooking I would have to order online or drive to Denver to get...but Whole Foods has it.

I agree, King Soopers is one of the better supermarkets I've seen, though nothing beat Wegmans from back East.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 PM

812 posts, read 1,469,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Some of the ingredients for my Thai cooking I would have to order online or drive to Denver to get...but Whole Foods has it.
Have you been to the large asain-food market on East Platte (several miles east of Academy)? I believe its called "Asian Pacific" market. I thought I'd lost access to fresh Thai ingredients (galanga, etc.) until I discovered this place a few years ago. Great prices too.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,856,519 times
Default I hear you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
When I go, I work the perimeter of Whole Foods. Seafood, Meat, Cheese, Deli, Bakery. Each has top quality stuff that you CAN'T find at Albertson's or King Soopers. Prices tend high, but not insanely so. I don't even look at the stuff on the shelves. That's where the ridiculous prices are, because it's all organic, small quantity merchandise. The blueberry breakfast sausage alone makes the occassional trip to Whole Foods worth every nickel.
I understand what you're saying and of course the shelf stuff is priced crazy. But the only thing I'll give them is the seafood and bakery, you're right about that. My Soopers has had a large gourmet cheese section for a long time, with a decent selection of cheeses, and I have no complaints with their meats. Their deli is also pretty good, because they offer higher-end brands as well as their store brand stuff.

I shopped at WF a few times when they first opened and I was working on that side of town. But when I came out of the store, I felt cheated. And I really don't shop the aisles all that much, because I don't use prepared, packaged stuff. Meat, cheese, bakery, a little produce - I'd walk out of WF with a little tiny bag and a very empty wallet.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 PM

50,758 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Have you been to the large asain-food market on East Platte (several miles east of Academy)? I believe its called "Asian Pacific" market. I thought I'd lost access to fresh Thai ingredients (galanga, etc.) until I discovered this place a few years ago. Great prices too.
Yes, I find them about 50-50.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times
When I'm in Divide, I shop the Safeway in Woodland Park; very rarely City Market (dark and dingy). Yet, if I'm in the Springs, I head straight for King Soopers (a City Market sister) which is large, bright and airy. But, here in Tucson, we have Fry's which is also a sister store to City Market and King Soopers, and it's awful (horrible produce, never much meat in the meat dept), and they're replacing National brands of coffee, rice, pastas, etc with Kroger and Fry's brands. How can three different Kroger stores be so completely opposite?

I shop Albertson's or Trader Joe's when I'm here, and interestingly, the Safeway near me is set up exactly like the Safeway in Woodland Park. We also have Basha's, Sunflower, Whole Foods, Super Walmart, Super Target, Wal-Mart Neighborhood, and more. And as a bonus, Basha's, Fry's, Safeway and Albertson's all have full service liquor stores in them, open 7 days a week. The others sell beer and wines. One stop shopping!

Last edited by Marcy1210; 02-09-2012 at 11:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs