Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 AM

409 posts, read 704,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Most of my family is in realty, and even they feel this way. There's quite a few non HOA neighborhoods around, if you look. They may have covenants, but those are different entirely.
Well gosh, I'm glad you know our exact criteria and needs. Should I send you a list and you can tell me about all of these fabulous properties that would work for us and still come in under our budget, even after building the additional outbuilding that we need?

It's one thing to make some suggestion on what might work, like most of the other helpful people on this board. But to just come out and call me unethical because I'm willing to look at all options? Please spare me.

Last edited by CharlotteRJ; 07-24-2013 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 AM

409 posts, read 704,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
There are legitimate arguments for either buying or building, but the "low" inventory is caused by foreclosures being kept off of the market to keep prices propped up. They are slowly dribbling these into the market now, and that may accelerate.
There may be a variety of reasons for it, but the end result is that for us, it's not the smorgasbord of properties (that work for us) that we were hoping for.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
@ Charlotte: Building a new home is no less ethical than buying an existing one. How did that existing one get there anyways? Just do what makes sense for you. If the decision is to build, you don't need to go around advertising that (not that you were), but you also don't need to worry if people get annoyed by it. People get annoyed by almost anything that isn't something they themselves have done.

I personally took the existing home path because it was a lot less headache, saved me a lot of money, and has been fun making improvements myself. But that doesn't mean than I sneer at anyone who has the desire and the means to build their custom dream home on vacant property. People who have a problem with that really have two choices: 1) buy up all that vacant property for themselves to keep vacant, or 2) move to someplace where there is a lot of vacancy and no growth.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM

114 posts, read 125,582 times
Quote:
Most of my family is in realty, and even they feel this way. There's quite a few non HOA neighborhoods around, if you look. They may have covenants, but those are different entirely.
So most of your family profited from the real estate boom that lead to the gluttony of homes now available, and that qualifies you to judge others on their decision to build vs buy?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
So most of your family profited from the real estate boom that lead to the gluttony of homes now available, and that qualifies you to judge others on their decision to build vs buy?
Whatever you say noob troll. Realtors make money no matter what happens, or what gets sold regardless. I'm just trying to save the OP some money, and also, the last thing Colorado Springs needs is any more development, the entire east side is a giant sea of cookie cutter suburbia, and there's no sign of stopping.

For the record though, most of the agents I know are realistic, and honest. They hardly "got rich" off of selling homes, new, or used.

OP, if you wanna build, go for it, but to answer your question, you're gonna have to go WAY out east, or south to midway, if you wish to avoid any HOA nazis or restrictive covenants.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
I'm not sure about your preferences, but there are wooded lots in the area north of North Gate along both sides of Roller Coaster Rd all the way east to 83. No HOA's and a bit hilly. It's also quick to get into town.
I'm interested in home builders being swamped due to the 2 fires. Have you run into any problems in that area?

Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 PM

114 posts, read 125,582 times
Quote:
Whatever you say noob troll. Realtors make money no matter what happens, or what gets sold regardless. I'm just trying to save the OP some money, and also, the last thing Colorado Springs needs is any more development, the entire east side is a giant sea of cookie cutter suburbia, and there's no sign of stopping.

For the record though, most of the agents I know are realistic, and honest. They hardly "got rich" off of selling homes, new, or used.

OP, if you wanna build, go for it, but to answer your question, you're gonna have to go WAY out east, or south to midway, if you wish to avoid any HOA nazis or restrictive covenants.
This is usually a civilized, respectful, and helpful forum. Telling someone they are "remarkably unethical and just plain wrong" is an interesting way to help them save money. You can't defend your original statement, or your name calling, but now you want to play it off as being helpful?

If you want to criticize and call people names, maybe you should go to Craigslist Rants & Raves. As the self proclaimed "Resident Colorado Springs Antagonist", I would think you could take it as well as you dish it out, but I guess not!

Just my opinion though...

Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 PM

29 posts, read 49,842 times
...meanwhile, back at the ranch.

CharlotteRJ, my husband mentioned this in another thread, but I wonder whether there may be some opportunities in BF that have been hit by the fire. It may be some time while those properties are re-assessed, but at least you'd know what you're getting into. Clear the land, re-plant, and make it a good long-term proposition. As elsewhere, if you're going to build, make SURE you know what water rights you have if you're on a well. It's not uncommon on newer lots to be restricted to household use only.

Jill

Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 AM

42 posts, read 58,826 times
What I am seeing is there are a lot of homes for sale but they are packed together. I don't want to swing open my door open and knock the siding off the neighbors house. My preference is for a little space. So when I look for space I find homes 15 miles out of town, which then my wife doesn't like. So I too am having issues finding anything that works for me under 300k. I don't want HOA's either at all. So what's the deal with water rights?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
It sounds like you need to look for older, established neighborhoods rather than newer ones (i.e. houses built from the 90's on) to meet both your space and price requirements. There are plenty of homes meeting those conditions but most of them but newer homes are more likely to be closer together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs