Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,313 times

Advertisements

My husband and his partner have a new business and we are looking to relocate, basically because we can actually afford it now. We are in our early 30's and have three kids, and two dogs. Not that the dogs really matter in this instance because they don't go to school. However, I have been researching Colorado Springs and have read some good and bad things. The thing about Pueblo I have noticed is the price of living is lower. We will be renting a house for the first year before we decide to buy.

We don't really go out that much, but occasionally I like to go sing karaoke and have a couple of drinks. I don't want to have to drive an hour or more to do so, because I'm not looking to party, just relax a bit. The thing that is most intriguing is all of the outdoor activities and locations available. My boys and I LOVE the outdoors, and that is one reason we are relocating.

Basically it is up to me where we live, everyone else is down for wherever, but I want to make sure I make the right decision. I've seen a lot of rental homes online for decent pricing, especially for the size I need (4 bedrooms, 2 bath, preferably split level). I need opinions from people in these towns, or cities. We are really laid back people. I once lived in Boise and I LOVE the whole hippie vibe, even though I am not one. I want somewhere people are friendly and have festivals, and people like to walk places instead of taking their cars half a block to the grocery store. Is that too much to ask? haha

Please share your opinions with me, I need help. We are coming up this weekend and staying in Colorado Springs just to get general feeling for the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
If outdoors is your thing, unless that means boating, Colorado Springs is a better option. You can split the difference and live in Fountain/Security/Widefield where you are close to both, so that you can explore both options before you settle. Pueblo and Colorado Springs may be pretty close to each other, but they feel quite different in many ways - weather, politics, people, night life, culture - they're all different.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,248 times
Manitou Springs, maybe?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I live in COLO SPGS and am a way big fan of this area for many reasons compared to Pueblo.

To see what's available in the way of SFHs of a 4/2 in a great school district look at ppar.com then:
- Click on the FOR RENT icon
- Under "Property Category" click on Single Family Home
- Under the bedroom category click on 4+
- Under the bathroom category click on 2+
- Under the school district category click on "20-Academy"
- Click the radio button for "Pets" and then click on "dog"
- Optional boxes you could use are for size of home and rental amount
You will get 25 very nice places to choose from in a low crime area; 45 choices w/out the pets.

Here are links to two homes that allow pets, in a sweet spot of sorts, where you can walk to many things save maybe karaoke.
- Full Listing Detail
- Full Listing Detail
Found these using the map based search feature.

Works the same for home purchases.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM

Talking Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I live in COLO SPGS and am a way big fan of this area for many reasons compared to Pueblo.

To see what's available in the way of SFHs of a 4/2 in a great school district look at ppar.com then:
- Click on the FOR RENT icon
- Under "Property Category" click on Single Family Home
- Under the bedroom category click on 4+
- Under the bathroom category click on 2+
- Under the school district category click on "20-Academy"
- Click the radio button for "Pets" and then click on "dog"
- Optional boxes you could use are for size of home and rental amount
You will get 25 very nice places to choose from in a low crime area; 45 choices w/out the pets.

Here are links to two homes that allow pets, in a sweet spot of sorts, where you can walk to many things save maybe karaoke.
- Full Listing Detail
- Full Listing Detail
Found these using the map based search feature.

Works the same for home purchases.

What? No walking to karaoke? I am completely outraged! Kidding, but seriously thanks for the help. When we come up this weekend do you have any suggestion for places to look around for houses to rent? I realize that not all homes are going to be listed, so maybe we could drive around and look as well?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
If connecting to the outdoors is a big priority, this isn't even a contest. Colorado Springs is a much better city for outdoors enthusiasts. The Garden of the Gods and Helen Hunt Falls give you some great day hike options within the city limits.

I think the schools in Colorado Springs are in better shape as well. If you like the hippie vibe, Manitou Springs just west of the city is a good place for you to visit.

What kind of business are you bringing to town? What kind of market do you need? Who are your consumers? This may factor into your decision as well.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
That "sweet spot" I referred to is around the intersection of Research and Union Blvds in the Briargate area; lots of stuff walkable from there.

That whole area is good, including nearby developments like Cordera (Powers Blvd and Briargate Pkwy) and Wolf Ranch (Powers Blvd and Research Pkwy).

There is karaoke nearby, at Back East Bar and Grill at Briargate Pkwy and Pine Village Way, also a few miles north in the All American Sports Cafe at Voyager Pkwy and Middle Creek Way.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 PM

It's an online business for indoor/outdoor gardening. They provide soil, nutrients, planters, tools, you name it. The site is not completed but the business is running. They have contracts with some pretty big distributors so it should be great. How are the farmer's markets there? I have heard some really great things about them. We really want to reach out to those becoming more self sufficient as far as growing your own food. It always tastes better when you grow it yourself. I come from a large gardening background and cannot imagine a life without fresh veggies straight from the garden.

As far as the marketing base, I am the marketing manager for the company. We really have a generalized consumer base, but want to reach people who just might want to grow herbs for their cooking, flowers for the yard, or vegetables in a greenhouse to last through the winter. Sometimes when people start small they really see their own potential and go from there.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I think our Farmer's Markets are okay. I don't think they compare to, say, California - but that has a lot to do with the basic differences between growing things in Colorado and growing them there.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM

Ah another important question, how are the little league and high school baseball teams in the area? I have all boys and they all play baseball. My two oldest go to a magnet school here in Tulsa, and the school team is okay, we prefer competitive, but it is something we are all really into. I also hope it's okay we are Royals fans. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs