Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM

18 posts, read 21,272 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I both in our late twenties with no kids and are considering a move to either Denver or Colorado Springs. After doing a lot of research I absolutely fell in love with CS. It seems so gorgeous, great weather, low cost of living, small town feel and a friendly atmosphere. We live in NY currently but were in Texas when my husband was in the army. I miss the nicer weather and have friends in Colorado and everyone says it's amazing. Plus, we just need a change. My husband can transfer his job to Wheat Ridge, Limon, or Commerce City which I know is all over an hour from CS. So I have some questions. Thank you all in advance for the help!

1. How hard is it to find a job in CS compared to Denver? My husband is a diesel mechanic with mostly military experience under his belt and looking to go to school for diesel mechanics in either CS or Denver depending on where we move.
2. Are there any good extended stay hotels (like Townplace Suites or Residence inn) that are affordable (Under $1200 a month)? We want to stay in one for about a month while we look for a place.
3. What other types of jobs are out there as far as retail or child care?
4. What are housing prices like? How is the cost of living compared to other parts of the country?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,271 times
Look on Craigslist, as a matter of fact, woodland park high school is hiring a bus mechanic right now. Diesel is where it's at.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,406 times
There is a TownePlace Suite, Extended Stay America, Hyatt Place, Residence Inn, etc. I don't know the prices but i think you can find them online.

Various sites for job searches. Try the Colorado Workforce site: Colorado Workforce

Retail will soon be hiring for the holiday season, and may result in a permanent position.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Denver may be easier for diesel dudes since it's a major crossroads of two main routes (I-70 east/west and I-25 north/south) plus I-76 off to the N.E.

Not to mention that Denver Metro Area has about 3M people, and is the ONLY major metropolis for 500 miles.

Not much in Limon except it's where I-70 heads N.W. to Denver and Hwy 24 heads S.W. to COLO SPGS.

Cost of living is well lower in COLO SPGS and there is some trucking here.

Commerce City takes in a good sized area and should be fairly affordable, especially if living north and east of there.

I'd say forget Limon unless you like being out in the boonies; the other places are good, but under no circumstances would any of us on here suggest living in COLO SPGS and commuting to any of those 3 sites.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Would it be possible for him to commute temporarily to either Wheat Ridge, Commerce City, or Limon until he found a new job in the Springs? We wouldn't want to move without him having something. Would it be better to live closer to his job locations while he job searched in the springs and then moved? Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 AM

641 posts, read 2,275,925 times
It would be a heckuva' drive to those locations from COS, and would only get harder when the winter hits.
I would not want that drive out to Limon especially. It's a good drive across very windy prairie land would get pretty nasty in a winter storm.

Keep in mind, Ft. Carson is a huge Army post here in COS, and along with a mechanized infantry division, I'm sure there's a ton of diesel vehicles there. I realize finding a job on the post is probably easier said than done, but I would think there would be work here as well.

Denver, Wheatridge, Commerce City would be doable from the Springs, but it would still be a heckuva commute everyday. Wheatridge is on the Northern side of Denver and the traffic would be a bear. I would try to find locally in COS before moving.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:19 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
It would be a heckuva' drive to those locations from COS, and would only get harder when the winter hits.
I would not want that drive out to Limon especially. It's a good drive across very windy prairie land would get pretty nasty in a winter storm.

Keep in mind, Ft. Carson is a huge Army post here in COS, and along with a mechanized infantry division, I'm sure there's a ton of diesel vehicles there. I realize finding a job on the post is probably easier said than done, but I would think there would be work here as well.

Denver, Wheatridge, Commerce City would be doable from the Springs, but it would still be a heckuva commute everyday. Wheatridge is on the Northern side of Denver and the traffic would be a bear. I would try to find locally in COS before moving.
As a former diesel mechanic at fort Carson, it's not that difficult, if the. jobs exist in the first place. If you have the credentials, the DOL at Carson will look at hiring you, if they're hiring lol. Right now, not so much with the sequestration.

There are PLENTY of heavy equipment mechanic positions here, I see them posted every day. However, you could make more only in Denver, but you'd sure as heck want to live there too. No way in hell would I commute from springs to Denver every day.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:03 AM

641 posts, read 2,275,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
As a former diesel mechanic at fort Carson, it's not that difficult, if the. jobs exist in the first place. If you have the credentials, the DOL at Carson will look at hiring you, if they're hiring lol. Right now, not so much with the sequestration.

There are PLENTY of heavy equipment mechanic positions here, I see them posted every day. However, you could make more only in Denver, but you'd sure as heck want to live there too. No way in hell would I commute from springs to Denver every day.
Totally agree. Great input!

Old 08-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Would it be possible to find a 1-2 bedroom apartment in a safe area for $800-1000/month? Denver just seems so expensive as far as rentals and we are leaning towards the lower cost of living in Colorado Springs. Plus, I don't want to live in a busy area with lots of traffic. He would go to school in Aurora and work in Commerce City if we lived near Denver and it seems that those areas aren't the most desirable. Coming from NY I'm ready to get away from all of the hustle and bustle.

Last edited by lauralala1013; 08-23-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,508,707 times
Yes, you can definitely get an apartment in that price range and size in a safe area. As for Aurora - parts of it are very nice. Commerce City is a lot more sketchy I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs