Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,166 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently moved from Charlotte, NC. We are really disappointed so far in the Chinese and Asian restaurants we've tried so far. It seems as if every Chinese restaurant is owned by the same people. They all make the food exactly the same way, and unfortunately it's different from our preferences.

We also notice there are no (that we can find) quick hibachi restaurants in town. In Charlotte, NC there are a plethora of quick service hibachi restaurants where you can get Hibachi Chicken (Zuchini, Onions, Chicken, Fried Rice and shrimp sauce). I haven't even found a restaurant where I can get these as a to go order, as we have small kids we wouldn't consider taking to a traditional hibachi restaurant.

Please tell me I just haven't looked hard enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 PM

409 posts, read 704,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspeer View Post
, as we have small kids we wouldn't consider taking to a traditional hibachi restaurant.
Can't help you with the restaurant, but have you tried? From a very young age, my kids have thought the "fire restaurant" was the BEST EVER.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Unfortunately, Colorado Springs is not known for its tasty independent restaurants. Haven't heard of a "hibachi place."
You might want to check this out though: http://thailily.comcastbiz.net/

Old 09-20-2013, 04:56 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
There's this place...
Kura Japanese Restaurant which has always been pretty good for Sashimi although I haven't tried their Hibachi selection since that part of the restaurant opened.
And then there's Fuji Mt in Monument (off Jackson Creek) which I've heard good things about but never tried. I much prefer the raw stuff, but don't do it too often now that I'm in CO. I'm not sure what North Carolina Hibachi is like or what you consider 'quick hibachi' though so I can't really say how it compares.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
Jun on Centennial (between Fillmore and Garden of the Gods) near the King Soopers. I was impressed with them. Especially lunch.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM

44 posts, read 46,455 times
I know the feeling. The food here is not quite what it is in different places around the country. Especially Atlanta. However, my wife and I did find a very good sushi place: Kohnami Sushi at the corner of Union and Briargate Blvd. They don't do Hibachi but thought I'd throw this in for good measure. For Hibachi, I give a thumbs up for captain_hugg9 on Jun.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:37 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspeer View Post
They all make the food exactly the same way, and unfortunately it's different from our preferences.
I'm curious ... how is it different?

Is there a Chinatown in Charlotte that would account for access to "true" Chinese food? If I compare what I've had in the Springs to Chinatowns in San Fran or NY city ... there's no comparison.

That said, there are some that do a pretty good job of it, IMHO. Keep looking.

By the way, if you like the cuisine, there are many great Thai and Vietnamese places here.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,166 times
I'm not saying Charlotte has authentic chinese.

In Charlotte, for example, the General Tso's is normally a very light breading or not breaded at all. Here in the Springs, everywhere we have tried (into probably a dozen) bread it thick and fry it to an inch of it's life where it is crunchy as hell. In Charlotte, many mom and pop chinese restaurants were better than PF Changs. Here, PF Changs has them all beat, from what we've experienced.

In Charlotte, there are a plethora of "quick" hibachi places. You don't sit around the table for a show, you place the order, they hibachi it, and you're on your way. About $7-8 for hibachi chicken. I can't find a single place here in the Springs that does it.

In Charlotte, almost all of the Chinese places also do quick hibachi and sushi. So I can get hibachi chicken, house lo mein, and sushi all from the same place. I know that's not authentic, but it certainly is nice. I started this post because we were new at the time and thought maybe I just hadn't found our spot.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times
Closest thing I can think of, to what you have in mind, is Hu-Hot, Mongolian BBQ. There's one off the South end of Powers, and one up North Academy. I know it's Mongolian, vs. Chinese, but I'm Denver would have something (off Colfax), ifn' you happen to be up there. That's where I would look.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,791 times
Try Hu Hot on N Academy. Pretty cool and quick. You pick your food and seasonings so if you don't like it, it's your fault. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs