Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,489 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am considering moving to CO Springs from my tiny midwest town. I would be interested in attending the university as well. I don't like giant cities so I figured CO Springs would be better. But I still would like a fun time! How is the dating scene?? I am not very concerned with nightclubs because that type of nightlife really isn't for me anyways. I love nature and being outside. How would a young female fit in moving to CO Springs alone? Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,597 posts, read 57,556,690 times
CS is and Excellent choice of locales for a single 20yo gal.

Get engaged in community classes / teams / events and join a hiking / camera / ski club.

Consider taking classes at Jr College in prep for U.
Summer classes at each typically do not have out-of-state tuition.

Get engaged in a good church or similar (there are plenty).

Consider this a great adventure.

Head out Tomorrow! (I sent my S-I-L's out to various worldwide destinations and they each rented rooms at homes of seniors, usually they had the whole basement / apartment / side of the house to themselves. Many times they were 'hosted' for free until they got jobs and found apartments. Very EZ to do through a church or similar, even a garden / art club)

Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 AM

50,225 posts, read 23,853,725 times
Personally, if I were you I would do Denver, but live in one of the smaller communities in the area...like Littleton, or somewhere like that.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 AM

6,802 posts, read 10,438,490 times
I went to Denver when I was about that age and it was way too big for me even not living in Denver proper, but in Aurora. It still felt like one giant overwhelming metropolis with crazily intimidating traffic and size. And the outdoor activities were a lot farther away than in Colorado Springs - or so it seemed to me.

I concur with the suggestion to get involved in clubs/activities to meet people - you would meet people through university as long as you got involved while you are there. Since you are new to the area I would recommend living on campus or as near to it as possible and really immersing yourself in the school experience.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Thank you! I'm from a really small town so I wasn't raised with city life so I like smaller cities better. I was just hoping there was enough young people in the CO Springs community!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,353,042 times
I'm not saying that you should do this, but most young people move to Boulder or Ft Collins for school (not just CU) or work. So the college scene is much more lively up there, but it's also much bigger and more expensive. There are many young people in COS too though... mostly military near the bases and college kids near the colleges... for the most part.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 AM

I am looking at Co Springs for college because they have a nursing school which Fort Collins and Boulder do not I believe. Plus I enjoy the small town/city atmosphere.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM

26,127 posts, read 48,754,600 times
COLO SPGS will be a good place to go to nursing school.

I'm sure Denver has some given all the hospitals in that metro area.

Major universities in Boulder and Fort Collins "should" have nursing schools, but I've not checked for sure.

Use our search tool to find threads on this topic, we've had them before. Advanced search is best. Go to the main COLO FORUM, Select Advanced search, put nursing in the search box, select TITLES ONLY, select SHOW THREADS

Here's a key thread on the topic.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-06-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,597 posts, read 57,556,690 times
There are plenty of great young people on Co Springs and elsewhere. As a transplant, I would avoid the 'school-age' / college scene at all costs. I personally find little value in the time I spend in age segregated activities. I like mixed age activites and social circles. You will quickly and successfully expand your level of friends and knowledge of adventures in the area by engaging in 'non-school-specific' community service and activites.

Make like a resident, rather than a transient student, and your move will be a far more valuable learning experience.

Each day prepares us for the future, a big move is a great step for growing up and taking the responsibility to leave a legacy for others and your future family. It will help with future decisions. Becoming confident in the ability to cope with change is a very helpful trait, and valuable to future career / life challenges.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Head out Tomorrow! (I sent my S-I-L's out to various worldwide destinations and they each rented rooms at homes of seniors, usually they had the whole basement / apartment / side of the house to themselves. Many times they were 'hosted' for free until they got jobs and found apartments. Very EZ to do through a church or similar, even a garden / art club)
I too am a 20 year old single female planning to move to COS. I would much rather live in an apartment off a house or a basement than in an apartment complex. What is the best way to approach this? I want to move this summer. Also,what are S-I-Ls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs