Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM

17 posts, read 49,698 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide a rough estimate of a commute time form Manitou Springs to the new Costco being built in Colorado Springs? Also, what is the traffic like in Colorado springs. I'm moving from California and am sick of constant traffic.....The state has had almost my entire city torn up for the last 3 years, it's a gridlock from 6am-11pm. Any suggestions on smaller towns or neighborhoods on the outskirts of Colorado Springs, preferably on the western side of town.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,919,595 times
Given what I know about Costco (going up around the Barnes and Powers Blvd area) it will take a minimum of 30 minutes from Manitou.

The problem that hampers that, of course depends on the route you take, any road construction in the area and whether or not you are driving in rush hour.

If you follow the MapQuest idea, they don't take into account that the Cimmaron bridge (near downtown) is not in or severely restricted in use...I would have to verify that.

Then, if you take the next route that would go from around the Garden of the Gods Park to Garden of the Gods road, where Garden of the Gods and Union intersect, major, major road construction.

Other east/west routes are just as tangled because of school zones (Fillmore to Circle to points east and other possibilities) and such, not be gnarled in traffic and if you have to work at Costco, I would suggest looking at better alternatives although more homogeneous nieghborhoods like Norwood or Briargate.

A drive for me from my Briargate location to Barns and Powers takes all of 10 minutes. In time and gas, that's far worth it to live a bit more suburban.

Not sure if that's what you were seeking but just some thoughts from a lifetimer.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM

45 posts, read 275,793 times
Last I heard several months ago, I thought there was suppose to be another Costco going in on North Nevada near I-25. But I don't believe that any construction has started at that location yet. Others on here may have more information on this.

Kelly

Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Given what I know about Costco (going up around the Barnes and Powers Blvd area) it will take a minimum of 30 minutes from Manitou.

The problem that hampers that, of course depends on the route you take, any road construction in the area and whether or not you are driving in rush hour.

If you follow the MapQuest idea, they don't take into account that the Cimmaron bridge (near downtown) is not in or severely restricted in use...I would have to verify that.

Then, if you take the next route that would go from around the Garden of the Gods Park to Garden of the Gods road, where Garden of the Gods and Union intersect, major, major road construction.

Other east/west routes are just as tangled because of school zones (Fillmore to Circle to points east and other possibilities) and such, not be gnarled in traffic and if you have to work at Costco, I would suggest looking at better alternatives although more homogeneous nieghborhoods like Norwood or Briargate.

A drive for me from my Briargate location to Barns and Powers takes all of 10 minutes. In time and gas, that's far worth it to live a bit more suburban.

Not sure if that's what you were seeking but just some thoughts from a lifetimer.
Thank you, that was all very helpful. I really liked everything I've read about Manitou Springs but I don't want that long of a commute. What kind of an area is the Costco in? Is it really suburbanized or sort of towards the outskirts of town?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMINE13 View Post
Last I heard several months ago, I thought there was suppose to be another Costco going in on North Nevada near I-25. But I don't believe that any construction has started at that location yet. Others on here may have more information on this.

Kelly
I have heard of this too and the reason I remember this is because it seems odd to build two Costcos so close to each other in an east-west orientation. COS is sort of oriented north south.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:22 PM

648 posts, read 2,941,688 times
Well right around the Cotsco, that is going up on Powers, you do primarily have cookie cutter homes. However... there are older homes aswell. On the west side of Powers you have the homes that are probably 30-50 years old. They will have the bigger lots and established neighborhoods. Alot will depend on the price range you are in. You also would have Falcon/Peyton area. It does not have all the trees and mountains, but you can find acreage lots out there for a decent price. Can you tell us what you are looking for in rent/buy... How many bedrooms/baths/garage/lot size? bashep

Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
Well right around the Cotsco, that is going up on Powers, you do primarily have cookie cutter homes. However... there are older homes aswell. On the west side of Powers you have the homes that are probably 30-50 years old. They will have the bigger lots and established neighborhoods. Alot will depend on the price range you are in. You also would have Falcon/Peyton area. It does not have all the trees and mountains, but you can find acreage lots out there for a decent price. Can you tell us what you are looking for in rent/buy... How many bedrooms/baths/garage/lot size? bashep
For now I am looking to rent, I don't have the money to purchase, maybe in a couple years when I get an inherritance. For now, my range is around 500, depending on if utilities are included. if utilities are included 650ish. I only need one room but cats and snakes need to be allowed. Roommate is not necessary but probably a good idea since I don't know anyone in CO. Garage is preferable, but not necessary. I would like to be somewhat on the outskirts of town closer to the mountains, I'm trying to get away from the city a little. preferably an older neighborhood, only because I've worked on the cookie cutter houses and repaired them when they fail, I can do with that though. I don't need to be near a school, or anything of that sort. If there is a roommate no more than one though, I don't want the hassle of multiple roommates.

I hope that helps. Thank you for your effort in supplying information.

Andrew

Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 PM

648 posts, read 2,941,688 times
Hey Andrew-

Ok, that information helps alot. I am thinking you would get a kick out of the downtown area. Or the Palmer Park area. Older homes, but lots of trees and if you like hiking or mountain biking you would like the Palmer Park Area. I just did a quick search on the MLS and found some for you. When are you moving here? bashep

Old 11-21-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
Hey Andrew-

Ok, that information helps alot. I am thinking you would get a kick out of the downtown area. Or the Palmer Park area. Older homes, but lots of trees and if you like hiking or mountain biking you would like the Palmer Park Area. I just did a quick search on the MLS and found some for you. When are you moving here? bashep
Thank you very much for your help. As of now, I plan on moving on May 12th but i'm not sure yet. I'll be coming out there in Early January to look at some places and just get a feel for Colorado Springs along with some other palces I've been looking at. i.e Superior and Broomfield, but most likely I'll end up in Colorado Springs. I love mountain biking, I spend way too much money that......

Andrew

Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 PM

28 posts, read 123,996 times
Default 25 to 30

I do the drive often. 25 to 30 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs