Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Why do u hate colo springs? Because it took pueblo's spot in the limelight?
Good question and I will do my best to answer this as honest as I can.

There are a few reasons why I dislike the Springs so much. None of them are taking away Pueblo's spot light because even today Pueblo is refereed to as the largest metro area in southern Colorado (I am referring to the latest bill to bring back Amtrak to Pueblo) and our political clought is just as strong as it always has been. That is because of Pueblo's location versus that of Colorado Springs. That makes the Pueblo trade region 20 counties in 2 states and over 400,000 people while the Colorado Springs trade region is the same as the MSA (El Paso and Teller counties). Although I would be lying if I said I did not like the fact the Springs is larger then Pueblo. There are other reasons though that trump this. I will list them:

1) Back in the 1980's when Pueblo had its economic melt down I was growing up thus influential and back when Pueblo needed help the most all I remember is people from the Springs making fun of the city and using the fact they were growing because of the military bases while we were not because of the closer of our 3 largest companies and using that against us. This really had a big impact on me and to be honest its most likely the number 1 reason why I hate the Springs so much.

2) How far right the city is. Perhaps this is because I am gay but I have seen so many anti gay talk come from the Springs that it has turned me off. In my opinion the Springs is as far right as Boulder is Left and and I think being to far extreme is bad for any city and it shows.

3) How the Springs has grown. I am all for some sprawl but the sprawl the Springs has is jut out of control in my opinion. Even if/when Pueblo annexes Pueblo Springs we will be 1/2 the land area of Colorado Springs yet will be able to hold just as many people as the Springs currently has. When I drive to Denver and see how small your downtown is and how spread out the north side is it just turns me off. It has given me a good example that just because a city is larger does not mean its better because if you take all my other issues and set them aside I would not want to live there simply because of this one issue and I honestly think the excessive sprawl has ruined the Springs. Honestly because of this I have always viewed Springs as a overgrown suburb between Pueblo and Denver much like Aurora is to Denver and Riverside is to LA.

I hope this gives you some insight as to why I personally do not like the Springs. I know these are all just personal opinions and someone else could and would view it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Josseppie - I like your enthusiasm about Pueblo! Many times it makes me want to take a drive down there and get to know it better.

Obviously, there is no city that everyone will like and be happy in. What is desirable to one person may have the opposite effect for another. You have to find the place that makes you feel like you have found 'home'.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Josseppie - I like your enthusiasm about Pueblo! Many times it makes me want to take a drive down there and get to know it better.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Obviously, there is no city that everyone will like and be happy in. What is desirable to one person may have the opposite effect for another. You have to find the place that makes you feel like you have found 'home'.
Agreed. I tell people this all the time.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM

11 posts, read 31,690 times
Just got back in the other day, didn't get to spend as much time in Colorado as I liked, got to explore Colorado Springs and Pueblo/Pueblo West. Everyone was outstandingly nice in COS and Pueblo, and to be honest it would be hard to pick which area I prefer. I hope to move soon enough, and I'm going to keep researching, and hope to maybe return again, though I'm not going to road trip, I'll fly in next time. Those of you who live in Pueblo and COS, be proud of yourselves, you represented yourselves well.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:32 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip and thank you!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
You road tripped from VA? Yikes! Definitely fly next time!

Glad you enjoyed your visit. I think you'll find people very friendly, especially compared to many parts of the east coast. I really do think that casual friendliness is more of a thing further west, at least that's been my experience. People I used to know in VA found the casual polite friendly attitude to be "fake." Well. I've learned that I prefer fake smiles and "have a nice day!" to real scowls and silence, or rudeness. I know there are nice people in VA, just referring to a lot of what you see in various public places sometimes, and of course my upbringing was also further north...

But anyhow. Also glad you got back safe, I know there's been some weather in various parts of the country lately...not the best time of year for a long road trip!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Good question and I will do my best to answer this as honest as I can.

There are a few reasons why I dislike the Springs so much. None of them are taking away Pueblo's spot light because even today Pueblo is refereed to as the largest metro area in southern Colorado (I am referring to the latest bill to bring back Amtrak to Pueblo) and our political clought is just as strong as it always has been. That is because of Pueblo's location versus that of Colorado Springs. That makes the Pueblo trade region 20 counties in 2 states and over 400,000 people while the Colorado Springs trade region is the same as the MSA (El Paso and Teller counties). Although I would be lying if I said I did not like the fact the Springs is larger then Pueblo. There are other reasons though that trump this. I will list them:

1) Back in the 1980's when Pueblo had its economic melt down I was growing up thus influential and back when Pueblo needed help the most all I remember is people from the Springs making fun of the city and using the fact they were growing because of the military bases while we were not because of the closer of our 3 largest companies and using that against us. This really had a big impact on me and to be honest its most likely the number 1 reason why I hate the Springs so much.

2) How far right the city is. Perhaps this is because I am gay but I have seen so many anti gay talk come from the Springs that it has turned me off. In my opinion the Springs is as far right as Boulder is Left and and I think being to far extreme is bad for any city and it shows.

3) How the Springs has grown. I am all for some sprawl but the sprawl the Springs has is jut out of control in my opinion. Even if/when Pueblo annexes Pueblo Springs we will be 1/2 the land area of Colorado Springs yet will be able to hold just as many people as the Springs currently has. When I drive to Denver and see how small your downtown is and how spread out the north side is it just turns me off. It has given me a good example that just because a city is larger does not mean its better because if you take all my other issues and set them aside I would not want to live there simply because of this one issue and I honestly think the excessive sprawl has ruined the Springs. Honestly because of this I have always viewed Springs as a overgrown suburb between Pueblo and Denver much like Aurora is to Denver and Riverside is to LA. I hope this gives you some insight as to why I personally do not like the Springs. I know these are all just personal opinions and someone else could and would view it differently.
That's understandable. Colorado Springs does feel like an overgrown suburb moreso than an actual city. Matter fact, the only part that feels like the "city" is downtown and the immediate areas south of downtown. Although, Pueblo doesn't feel any more "city" than Colorado Springs, C/S should be running circles around Pueblo in terms of entertainment and feel in which it doesn't.

Colorado Springs is much bigger than Pueblo and its pretty pathetic when a city 1/2 its size can almost hold a candle to it. There are still alot of hidden gems in the Springs, mainly on the westside. But i have to agree with you that excessive sprawl has somewhat ruined the springs.

It seems that Pueblo has realized it has long been surpassed by the Springs in terms of population and size, so its begun focusing its growth on feeling like a more mature city with a special gems in its historic downtown such as the revitalization efforts of the river walk.

I hope this gives you some insight as to why I personally do not like the Springs. I know these are all just personal opinions and someone else could and would view it differently.[/quote]

Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
^^^OOps ignore the last sentence in my above post. That was a pasted quote from joseppies comment.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdove72 View Post
Thank you for the quick replies. Looks like we are going to change speed and look for living arrangements up in Colorado Springs or the nearby area. Looking at Google Earth it looks like Colorado Springs seems like a bunch of separate little communities hooked together. Is that what its like, or is there a real sense of community there???? My wife has really fallen in love with it just by doing searches on the internet.
My experience is that community in Colorado Springs (and probably any city/town anywhere) is local. My wife and I feel part of a small community in the three block radius around our house, another small community at our larger downtown church, another slightly larger community of parents at our kids' elementary school. She has various little communities based on her unique interests (music, art, etc.) and I have various little communities of friends based on mine (several niche outdoor activities). A sense of community doesn't go looking for you and hand itself to you, it takes time and relationships. Do I feel part of a "larger Colorado Springs community" after living here 12+ years? Sort of, but not really. I feel part of 6-8 smaller more local "communities" that exist within Colorado Springs. It's like high-school ... you are part of the entire school but your best times and memories are made within little pockets of friends or other people with similar interests (yearbook, school paper, math team, tennis team, etc.). At some level, it doesn't really matter if there's 4,000 other kids at your school or 300, it always boils down to the specific 8-12 people with whom you primarily share the process that will define your experience.

The pi**ing match that some people always want to start on these boards with an axe to grind against one city or another is just very very pathetic. Ignore all that. In my personal world, Denver is too big, too expensive (for what you get), and too congested. The smaller towns/cities in Colorado simply won't financially support what I do to earn a self-employed living. Colorado Springs is certainly not perfect, but it's as close to the "just right" porridge I've ever found.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
That's understandable. Colorado Springs does feel like an overgrown suburb moreso than an actual city. Matter fact, the only part that feels like the "city" is downtown and the immediate areas south of downtown. Although, Pueblo doesn't feel any more "city" than Colorado Springs, C/S should be running circles around Pueblo in terms of entertainment and feel in which it doesn't.

Colorado Springs is much bigger than Pueblo and its pretty pathetic when a city 1/2 its size can almost hold a candle to it. There are still alot of hidden gems in the Springs, mainly on the westside. But i have to agree with you that excessive sprawl has somewhat ruined the springs.

It seems that Pueblo has realized it has long been surpassed by the Springs in terms of population and size, so its begun focusing its growth on feeling like a more mature city with a special gems in its historic downtown such as the revitalization efforts of the river walk.
I agree. I really hope the grant the Springs just got really helps downtown grow because a stronger downtown Colorado Springs would be good for the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs