Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Colorado Springs rentals, good walking areas a must, apartment complexes, walk to grocery stores, restaurants, shops, parks, museums, schools, Briargate Commons, bike paths at Cottonwood Creek

Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM

205 posts, read 989,457 times

Advertisements

If/when we move to COS we will be renting. We are really looking for a house, but the apartments (and their views!!) look gorgeous, so we are keeping an open mind. Now, my question is can someone give me names of some apartment complexes and/or zip codes/areas that are good walking areas??
As far as apartments go, there are only a one or two that are out of our price range...so feel free to suggest ANY of them.

By walking area I mean that if you live there you can walk to a grocery store, restuarant, shops, playgrounds, parks, museums, school, etc etc (I don't need to be able to walk to ALL these places, just giving an idea of what I am looking for). I have a car but I hate driving and would LOVE to live somewhere that I can walk places (weather permitting!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Briargate Commons is an apartment project that fits your wish list, except for museums. Its in zip 80920. There are a few more but the names escape me. Zero in on the area around Research Pkwy near Union Blvd for walkability.

Then there is the downtown area, also very walkable, but not sure of the apartments that may be there.

Other parts of town may fit fine, but I'm real partial to the Briargate area.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM

I am partial to Briargate since you posted those pictures of it Mike!! It's all your fault, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Briargate Commons is an apartment project that fits your wish list, except for museums. Its in zip 80920. There are a few more but the names escape me. Zero in on the area around Research Pkwy near Union Blvd for walkability.

Then there is the downtown area, also very walkable, but not sure of the apartments that may be there.

Other parts of town may fit fine, but I'm real partial to the Briargate area.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
I live in Briargate and can walk to:

King Soopers (Kroger)
7-11
Starbucks
Panda Express
Three hair styling places (one is Cost Cutters, one independent and one that is geared towards men and boys)
Nail salon
Liquor store
Automotive repair
Independent Chinese restaurant
Walgreens
Carwash/restaurant
Two banks (US and Key banks - they are putting a Wells Fargo in the King Soopers I think)
Taekwondo
Hallmark
UPS
Little Ceasars
Papa John's
(Another I can't remember - one of those take and bake)
Blockbuster
Subway
Avis Car rental
Kwal Paints
Ceramics art studio/whatever
H&R Block
Wendy's
A gymnastics complex
La Casita mexican food

(surely there's more? haha)

All within the same complex (and across Woodmen Road) but doable as I only live a mile from there.

There's plenty of walking paths, the only problem I have with them is they are concrete so it's hard on the back. But there's a big park that is a quick bike ride, Cottonwood Creek which has a variety of recreational opportunites including and indoor pool...keep in mind though, the pool is not designed (IIRC) for things like adult lap swims.

There are several apartments in the area and the biggest one I know of is The Vineyards. There's some mixed thoughts on it but they are a gated community, have their own facilities as well and are pretty new (as in built within the last oh, 7 years) but they are right across Rangewood from all the businesses I described above.

The only disadvantage to this particular area is if you desire to be on the buslines...bus service up here in the immediate area is non-existant.

But it's a short drive to the bigger shopping districts and restaurants, which are located on Academy Blvd...anything you could possibly want outside of a museum or major concert is all right there.

Anyhow, look up The Vineyards on Rangewood and that's the area I am talking about.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Hubby and I were just looking at those last night....they look really nice. Is this anything wrong with them??

Where is the nearest Elementary school to those apartments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
I live in Briargate and can walk to:

King Soopers (Kroger)
7-11
Starbucks
Panda Express
Three hair styling places (one is Cost Cutters, one independent and one that is geared towards men and boys)
Nail salon
Liquor store
Automotive repair
Independent Chinese restaurant
Walgreens
Carwash/restaurant
Two banks (US and Key banks - they are putting a Wells Fargo in the King Soopers I think)
Taekwondo
Hallmark
UPS
Little Ceasars
Papa John's
(Another I can't remember - one of those take and bake)
Blockbuster
Subway
Avis Car rental
Kwal Paints
Ceramics art studio/whatever
H&R Block
Wendy's
A gymnastics complex
La Casita mexican food

(surely there's more? haha)

All within the same complex (and across Woodmen Road) but doable as I only live a mile from there.

There's plenty of walking paths, the only problem I have with them is they are concrete so it's hard on the back. But there's a big park that is a quick bike ride, Cottonwood Creek which has a variety of recreational opportunites including and indoor pool...keep in mind though, the pool is not designed (IIRC) for things like adult lap swims.

There are several apartments in the area and the biggest one I know of is The Vineyards. There's some mixed thoughts on it but they are a gated community, have their own facilities as well and are pretty new (as in built within the last oh, 7 years) but they are right across Rangewood from all the businesses I described above.

The only disadvantage to this particular area is if you desire to be on the buslines...bus service up here in the immediate area is non-existant.

But it's a short drive to the bigger shopping districts and restaurants, which are located on Academy Blvd...anything you could possibly want outside of a museum or major concert is all right there.

Anyhow, look up The Vineyards on Rangewood and that's the area I am talking about.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 PM

NeedAChangeFromFL - If I am correct that would be Frontier Elementary School - Frontier's Homepage which also can be walking distance but for the winter time. But that's kind of the thing around here, if you want to walk, you gotta have the right gear. The kids in my neighborhood go there and I am less than a mile from there, up the road off of Rangewood and Meadowridge. Not sure of the middle school but the kids around here go to Liberty High school. D-20 is a great district second only to D-12 but the opportunities to be less reliant on a car for everyday stuff like shopping, grooming and even some doctors are within walking of there.

As for those apartments (The Vineyards) I don't know. When their website works it seems like a pretty nice place, again gated. It seems nice enough. I see a good variety of vehicles come in and out of there. I haven't rented with a commercial property management company since I left Grand Junction in 1995. Before, when I lived in CS, I part-owned the apartments I lived in and later bought a house...

It seems nice enough though. Kind of pricey but I've seen their amenities (sp) on their website in the past and seems like a nice place.

BTW, there are some houses up for rent in my immediate area too. These are homes that range from 1,200 - 2,500 sq ft. You may want to talk to a relocation realtor that's attached to some property management firms (they work with those wanting to relocate but don't want to buy immediately) to see what's available. It doesn't hurt if you have kids and want possibly want a house...

The subdivision I am in is called The Hills. It's kind of a mixed bag. The houses just west of me when you come into our area are bigger with 3-4 bedrooms while back where I live are 2-3 bedrooms. The homes were built in the mid-80s so they are decent. Crime is low, and the population varies from the front to the back of The Hills with police officers (we have two that I know of) to construction to lower end tech, military, retired military, retired old ladies (hehe I have two in my close proximity)...It's not high end middle class but respectable middle class for the most part.

I wish I could afford to buy the house from my landlord but my finances and my credit are kind of in the way. I've been in this house since 1998 and have a bond to it and the 'hood.

Anyhow, take a gander around the area that is north of Woodmen and Rangewood...the next intersection closest to those shops and such I listed above are Lexington and Woodmen but I don't recall any apartments that are in that area, mostly houses.

BTW, renting a house in these neighborhoods run anywhere from $950-$1200 and while you may have to do the lawn mowing and such, having non-shared walls is worth it.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:01 PM

They are CHEAP compared to where we live now, LOL.
We would much prefer a house, I am just trying to cover all the bases, just in case. We can afford up to $1100/month and need three bedrooms...can we do that in Briargate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
NeedAChangeFromFL - If I am correct that would be Frontier Elementary School - Frontier's Homepage which also can be walking distance but for the winter time. But that's kind of the thing around here, if you want to walk, you gotta have the right gear. The kids in my neighborhood go there and I am less than a mile from there, up the road off of Rangewood and Meadowridge. Not sure of the middle school but the kids around here go to Liberty High school. D-20 is a great district second only to D-12 but the opportunities to be less reliant on a car for everyday stuff like shopping, grooming and even some doctors are within walking of there.

As for those apartments (The Vineyards) I don't know. When their website works it seems like a pretty nice place, again gated. It seems nice enough. I see a good variety of vehicles come in and out of there. I haven't rented with a commercial property management company since I left Grand Junction in 1995. Before, when I lived in CS, I part-owned the apartments I lived in and later bought a house...

It seems nice enough though. Kind of pricey but I've seen their amenities (sp) on their website in the past and seems like a nice place.

BTW, there are some houses up for rent in my immediate area too. These are homes that range from 1,200 - 2,500 sq ft. You may want to talk to a relocation realtor that's attached to some property management firms (they work with those wanting to relocate but don't want to buy immediately) to see what's available. It doesn't hurt if you have kids and want possibly want a house...

The subdivision I am in is called The Hills. It's kind of a mixed bag. The houses just west of me when you come into our area are bigger with 3-4 bedrooms while back where I live are 2-3 bedrooms. The homes were built in the mid-80s so they are decent. Crime is low, and the population varies from the front to the back of The Hills with police officers (we have two that I know of) to construction to lower end tech, military, retired military, retired old ladies (hehe I have two in my close proximity)...It's not high end middle class but respectable middle class for the most part.

I wish I could afford to buy the house from my landlord but my finances and my credit are kind of in the way. I've been in this house since 1998 and have a bond to it and the 'hood.

Anyhow, take a gander around the area that is north of Woodmen and Rangewood...the next intersection closest to those shops and such I listed above are Lexington and Woodmen but I don't recall any apartments that are in that area, mostly houses.

BTW, renting a house in these neighborhoods run anywhere from $950-$1200 and while you may have to do the lawn mowing and such, having non-shared walls is worth it.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post
They are CHEAP compared to where we live now, LOL.
We would much prefer a house, I am just trying to cover all the bases, just in case. We can afford up to $1100/month and need three bedrooms...can we do that in Briargate??
It is possible, I live in a 3 bedroom for a bit less than that (the owner is also a friend) and there seems to be a glut of houses up for rent in the immediate area. Some of the older homes (by about 7 years, these houses were built around 85-86) west of me may be less per month because of their age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs