Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,275 times

Advertisements

I've checked the coverage maps for both, and AT&T coverage map claims to cover more of Colorado then Verizon does (I'm talking just basic voice coverage, not 4G LTE data). Although I wonder if that's true or not, as I had a opposite experience so I want to hear from others with AT&T, especially if it works in rural towns and rural highways.

The major problem I had so far with AT&T was when it claimed to have full 100% coverage at Bishops castle, and in Rye and also all along highway 165. This was driving from Colorado Springs to Bishops castle (Which is in Rye, CO). Results? Once we got to highway 165, that's where my AT&T phone completely stopped working for the ENTIRE 20+ miles to reach Bishops castle (or however long it has along highway 165). I didn't even get 1 bar, not even roaming, just flat out no service. While My friends Verizon iPhone had a couple bars of service for 90% of the drive. His Verizon iPhone even got 4G LTE when we reached Rye, CO, which is a pretty rural area. While my AT&T iPhone had NO service at all, not even roaming, for literally 20 miles in ANY direction of Rye Colorado. That's pathetic. Verizon had 4G LTE in a city, while AT&T can't even offer 2G roaming? The worst part is the AT&T map shows 100% coverage in Rye, CO, and also along highway 165. So why didn't my AT&T phone have ANY service? Has anyone with AT&T had service in Rye CO or along highway 165, or at Bishops Castle? I want to know if perhaps my phone has a defective roaming chip, because AT&T claims I should have had coverage the entire time. It works fine in the city, so it's regular signal is perfectly fine, but I wonder if it's "roaming" is defective on my phone. Or maybe AT&T just is lying about having coverage in Rye and along highway 165??

Therefore, can anyone comment on how AT&T performs in rural areas of Colorado? How does it compare to Verizon in rural areas, is it better, equal, or worse?

LASTLY, I was wondering what people have noticed to be better for 4G LTE in the city of Colorado Springs, Verizon OR AT&T??? I've tried them both, and have totally conflicting things and can't decide. From what I've tested, AT&T seemed to have faster LTE in Colorado Springs compared to Verizon. Since Verizon averaged like 5 to 10mbps LTE speeds depending on reception bars, while AT&T averaged about 10 to 15mbps depending on reception bars, from my tests of about 30 speed tests in a couple different parts of town. I didn't go across the entire town, rather just mostly along Garden of the Gods road and Cent up to Garden of the Gods and Nevada. It was stopped, all at different stores/parking lots where I did the tests. I did roughly 30 speed tests and noticed AT&T was much faster. Although this was ONLY on Garden of the Gods road, I have no idea how the rest of the City is. Don't really want to drive around the entire town testing it out and wasting data, plus it's not very accurate as I could test them at a time the towers might be having issues, etc. I'd rather ask others what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I've never had two carriers at once to compare like that. I've had T-Mobile and I've had Verizon. T-mobile had great coverage at my work near Garden of the Gods Road, even in the basement, but was constantly dropping calls at my home in Security. Verizon had mediocre coverage at work, but moderately better at home. In the mountains they both were pretty bad in my book. From what I hear talking to friends with other carriers, there are no clear winners in the Springs/Pikes Peak area, but if you travel some start to take a lead there (Verizon I guess?)

Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times
I had problems with my T-mobile until I got a new phone, then my dropped calls stopped entirely. I just remember being happy back a few years ago that when I would leave into the mountains, my cell phone had no service at all. Good way to get unplugged. But then I was happy that I had service three years ago when I had to find out which hospital was closer- Leadville or Buena Vista (Leadville, if you're by Twin Lakes, for anyone who wants to know- BV only has urgent care). So there's my unhelpful post. :P

The first few years I lived out here there was no cell phone at all between Amarillo, TX, and Pueblo. So maybe if the service isn't too good, wait a year and it'll be fine.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
My friend and I went into a very rural part of Colorado. I use virgin mobile (sprint network) and he used AT&T. He had Iphone3, I had Iphone4. We lost signal within 10 second or so of each other. Sorry, neither of us were carrying a Verizon phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs