Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandmama View Post
SNOW IS FUN! Don't be afraid of a few blizzards here or there. Enjoy them knowing the sun will come out tomorrow....
Snow is great if you don't have to travel.
I have very grim memories of having to drive to work.
Especially going to a work function in Colo Spgs from Denver in the middle of a nightime December snowstorm. It was horrible. But we did survive.
Stay safe everyone, and enjoy the inevitable sunshine (and melting.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 06:46 PM

117 posts, read 622,749 times
Great pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Mike, in your last picture, what is that flag for that's stuck in the snow?

Don't tell me you play golf in the snow too?

Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 PM

9 posts, read 101,751 times
Default Oct 26th snow.

Great pix and video....love it. It got to almost 60 here today....tomorrow is a different story however. Rain, rain and more rain.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 PM

124 posts, read 461,556 times
I love that last picture with pikes peak! man I miss Colorado... it just looks so beautiful after a big snow. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
In south Parker: After some shoveling and using the snowblower, was finally able to get both the Durango and Dodge RAM 1500 out of the garage and on the street at 2 PM. Man, there was areas of our driveway that had almost 15 inches of snow.....partly due to the wind/drift. But, we did get almost a foot here at our house. This snowstorm was pretty wet so it was pretty hard using the snowblower in it (kept having to clean the snow out of the chute area). When I took the Dodge RAM out, went down the street to Wal Mart and there were like "mini lakes" (snow melt) at some of the stop lights. The streets were extremely wet, but ok to drive on. As of suppertime, the street in front of our house has not yet been ploughed out.
Really curious as how our driveway and areas streets will be in the morning due to pretty cold temps tonight. I think I will take the wife to work in the morning when I go in. Don't want her sliding all over the place in the morning.
By the way, we lived in Englewood during the Blizzard of 2003......it was worse than this snowstorm. The apartment complex we lived in then, brought in a bulldozer and a number of dump trucks to get rid of the snow in the complex. Yes, there was that much snow!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 03:00 AM

198 posts, read 959,342 times
Here are some pics from user LoveBoating that they took of the storm:

http://www.geminicabinetry.com/P1010665WEB.jpg (broken link)
Our neighbors tree hanging over into our backyard

http://www.geminicabinetry.com/P1010668WEB.jpg (broken link)
Looking down the street from beside our house

http://www.geminicabinetry.com/P1010677WEB.jpg (broken link)
The snow was a little deep by our garage doors

Old 10-27-2006, 10:08 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Great pictures! Thank you for sharing! Mike, in your last picture, what is that flag for that's stuck in the snow? Don't tell me you play golf in the snow too?
That little flag was put there by Lawn Doctor. But folks play golf here all year round, really. On Wednesday, the day before the storm, men were out jogging barechested, in shorts. They'll be doing that this weekend, as it's going into the low sixties, same as Wednesday.

We'll get a lot of melting today and this weekend. Yes, we get weather here but we like it and live with it. I lived with that dreaded eastern humidity for 57 years, now I'm greatly loving the change. Yes, we shoveled snow back east too, so it isn't a biggie. I got 2.5 hours of great exercise yesterday...

For the sake newbies, I like to point out that newsreel footage they see in their coastal area of snow in Colorado are usually scenes shot up in the mountains, aka High Country, which may as well be a whole other state than this area. The High Country really is a whole other state of mind, and I mean that nicely. Up there it REALLY snows, several feet at a time, and it lasts for 6-9 months. The High Country is ski country, you've heard all the names before: Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Telluride, and many more. Down here, along the Front Range, aka the I-25 Corridor, we are on the edge of the great plains, very dry and mild, officially classified as Alpine Desert. Makes all the difference in the world. Millions live here, so how bad can it be. We shopped many states and cities, we chose here, correctly.

s/Mike

Old 10-27-2006, 11:11 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
You folks that use snow shovels.....you can have them and the exercise that comes with them. We will use our gas powered snowblower any time we can. My hip replacement just can't take using a snow shovel any more unless I have to (like yesterday).
The elevation where our house is in south Parker is the same elevation as a ski slope in Big Bear, CA. My wife's family in So. Calif. is so amazed that we live that high here. Actually, some of the foothills along the C-470 are as high as the mountains in So. Calif.
One of the things that the wife and I have learned since moving to Colorado in June 2002, the weather people on the news stations and some of the people that live here do "downplay" the weather here. That is a fact. The weather here may not be as bad as back East, but it can be at times.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,072 times
Coloradans,

How's the week been after the massive snow fall last week? Have temps warmed up? Was the city closed down hard or was it business as usual the next day?

I just retired from the active Air Force here in the DC area and I'm heading to Co Springs at the end of next week! Can't wait....can't wait.....oh pleeez..oh pleeez. Should I pack my snow boots???

Tks
Tertee

Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
Coloradans, How's the week been after the massive snow fall last week? Have temps warmed up? Was the city closed down hard or was it business as usual the next day? I just retired from the active Air Force here in the DC area and I'm heading to Co Springs at the end of next week! Can't wait....can't wait.....oh pleeez..oh pleeez. Should I pack my snow boots??? Tks Tertee
Tertee: the snow is gone except for where they piled it up in some spots at shopping centers and intersections. For 2-3 days after the storm we were into the low sixties with total sun and it melted out quickly. Chilly today, low fifties tomorrow. Pack the boots for moving, you won't need to arrive here in them.

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs