Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:49 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the area in a year or so. I have noticed homes in the South/Southeast portion of Colorado Springs are cheaper for a decent sized home. I have also noticed people saying the Southeast side is not so good. So my question is this, what do they mean by not good? Will I get shot/robbed living in that area? Will my house get broken into? I am from a city about the same size as The Springs, and am from an area that is considered not as good as others. However, the area I am from is hit and miss, but nothing too bad. It is just a less attractive side of town, and the crime "Risk" is higher, but more than likely nothing will happen to you. It is mostly just blue collar workers with a few hooligans (sp?) and crystal meth heads mixed in. Mostly good people. Is the SE side of The Springs similar to that I described? If anyone has any info that would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 14,310 times
this would be great information to know

Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
As a person that has live in C Springs (born and raised) for 33 of my 38 years, I personally wouldn't live on the southeast end of town.

It's just not as "safe" as other areas of town. The crime rate is higher down there than most other areas of the city.

It's not horrible but I wouldn't live in the area.

Here's the annual crime map: http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=338

To navigate, click on the Sand Creek areas, that's the area of concern. But you can get a good idea of what is going on crime wise.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:48 AM

137 posts, read 774,292 times
Sounds similar to the area you describe.

My husband and I bought our first home in that area- when we were 20 and 22. We never had any problems personally- that was nearly 15 years ago. We did have a house 4-5 doors down that had regular visits from CSPD- but we also had some really great neighbors that we loved- and there were some places we just didn't go. We generally went grocery shopping a little furthur north. There are a lot of good blue color and military personel in the area. I think it has more to do with who you get mixed in with than where you live- and there's good and bad people to get mixed in with in just about every neighborhood.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
One of the newer neighborhoods down there is Claremont Ranch, beautiful homes, you may want to check them out. bashep

Old 02-23-2007, 06:43 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
I personally don't think that you could get shot there in the southeast side of the Springs.I live in the Springs and have takin rides down there but its not really that bad.I mean there is more minorities down there then the North side but that doesn't make it a bad place.The past couple of years the Springs hasen't even had 30 homicides once.I've only lived here 2 years and Im from Cleveland and I definetly don't think anyone should worry about the Springs it has a low crime rate,low high school drop out rate,good schools,and a suburban feel to it.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:51 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
Colorado Springs (COS) all time record homicide count was 27 back in 1991 I believe. Usually COS has between 10 to 20 homicides a year. In the nation there are cities that are the same size as COS that having a rate triple what COS record is would be a low year.

COS has a homicide rate around 3 to 4 per 100,000 population, S.E. COS might be double the city rate so maybe 6 per 100,000 people. Some cities have rates of 30 to 40 per 100,000 people. So even S.E. COS if it were its own city would be much safer then alot of big cities overall crime rates.

S.E. COS has a higher crime rate then the rest of COS, but shootings are still not very common at all.

S.E. COS is probably at least 50 square miles in area and may have a homicide once every few months and probubly over 100,000 people live in SE COS. So I would venture to guess even SE COS would be much safer then the overall safety of large cities as a whole.

The only area that can tend to be rough is Fountain Blvd. from just before Circle to around Academy its about a mile long stretch. The rest of S.E. COS has isolated incidents but even these areas a vast majority of people would feel safe in after dark.

The only stretch of COS I would avoid after dark is the section I mentioned Fountain from Circle to Academy and S. Chelton from Airport to just past Fountain. Even in these stretches I mentioned they dont have people out causing problems every night, just it doesnt feel safe in those little stretches of town.

So 95% of S.E. COS I would feel completely safe walking around after dark.

Another thing about S.E. COS is its not some boarded-up area with collapsed porches like some cities inner areas have. S.E. COS is mainly 1960s and 1970s era tri-level homes that in some cases not as well-kept as the rest of the city.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 29,168 times
Default Se

Just to let you know, there are some very safe and nice neighborhoods in the SE. You are right the property values are lower, but that does not mean the areas are necessarily bad.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:27 PM

53 posts, read 451,631 times
Here is my honest reply...I don't want to live in S.E. Colorado Springs...because the values are lower and have historically stayed lower. (Reputation, reputation, reputation.)

That being said, the values have risen just like every where is else in Colorado Springs.

The schools tend to be in the low or average range.

That being said, it is not that bad and you can get a pretty good deal on a house.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 AM

15 posts, read 118,893 times
I live in SE Colorado Springs and it's not bad at all. Sure, we have more Black people and Mexicans and some problems here and there, but it's not bad at all. My parents live up in the rich, North area and they have more house robberies up there than here. And we don't have the terrible traffic and congestion down here like they do up there. We have a lot of ordinary working people and military here. Not everyone one can be a doctor or lawyer and live where the housing is outrageous!!!!! They are kind of snobby up NOrth too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs