Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 PM

399 posts, read 563,528 times

Advertisements

Here's my impression: Been here 2 weeks and it has rained every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM

16 posts, read 44,672 times
July is our rainy month!!! It's wonderful and you will learn to appreciate the rain soon enough.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Yeah live here awhile and you'll be so grateful for every rainfall....

Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Pronghorn I guess is more technical - locals grew up calling them antelope (like me).
Yeah, but I'll keep calling them antelope as I was taught when there were herds of tens of thousands of them roaming the prairie. I'll keep calling bison buffalo too. Just set in my ornery old ways I guess.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,391 times
I was born in Wyoming and they were "canteloupe" for me :-P

Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 PM

454 posts, read 1,224,862 times
Born in our neighbors yard 2 weeks ago.

Last year we had twins born in that same yard. Also we have about 15 rabbits running in between both of our yards.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Last year we had twins born in that same yard. Also we have about 15 rabbits running in between both of our yards.
I'm afraid all I can think of is "munch, munch" -- I've been fighting an ongoing war with deer in my garden ever since I bought my house. I think I've finally succeeded in making the plantings unfriendly enough to deer that they don't bother coming around much any more, but not before I had a few episodes of putting in some new perennials or shrubs and finding that they'd already been demolished the next day. And now recently I've seen a rabbit who seems to be the causing plenty of destruction on his own. :-(

Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 PM

454 posts, read 1,224,862 times
^^I understand what you are talking about, so I built a cage with chicken wire over my plants so that they aren't dinner.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
Here's my impression: Been here 2 weeks and it has rained every day!
Definitely not be the best first impression for folks just getting here, but for those of us who have been through the super-dry summers, and resulting wildfires over the last few years, it has been a very welcomed change.

Typically, it's pretty warm this time of year. August can be pretty hot as well, so no complaints from me! Bring on the rain!

Old 07-17-2014, 04:34 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Unfortunately I only had time to read to page 2 this afternoon, but I'll come back again soon...

Quick thoughts:

I think OP is right in that the people are a good reason to come here. I've lived a bunch of places, NOVA to Midwest, PNW to here. NOVA folk in my opinion are very "real." They are a little shorter on the casual pleasantry, but if you do have cause to make a friend, they'll probably be a pretty good one...however I did experience a thing where for some reason they think it's OK to no call/no show when you expect them someplace, and that bugged me. Why so flaky, VA people? Midwest folks are surface friendly but have a way of shutting out anyone who isn't "like them." PNW people are super, SUPER nice and act like you've been besties for life when you've only known each other a minute....annnnd they will also take advantage of ya in a heartbeat if you let them. Some are very "fake" and play a lot of stupid games. ("Real"..."fake"...sounds like high school jargon doesn't it? Nah, this is from interactions with adults, sadly...middle class typical folks...) Now. Colorado Springs? I feel like I finally found the balance. They are open minded but they know their own opinions. They are friendly in a genuine way, on and beneath the surface. The only issue I've run into is that some of 'em don't really seem to get my snarky sense of humor, I've had a lot of quips that would be instantly understood by people "back home" in VA get greeted with blank faces here, until people got to know me and got a feel for when I was messing around.

I really think most of OP's other issues are things one can get used to, although admittedly after 2 years, I'm still working on it. I don't love the brown, either. But the skies make up for it often enough. Lower cost of living and lower traffic and no bugs, all of those are great too.

Oh, and if you (and others) feel that the cuisine options here are lacking, do you not see that as an opportunity? Perhaps it just needs one brave entrepreneur to open our eyes (and palates) to something cool and new, huh? That's how I'd see it anyways...a point for criticism should also be viewed as a potential opportunity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs