Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:24 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
You forgot to mention the terminal managers, who were largely staffers sourced from Remedy. Got to meet them at Remedy's Christmas party. Unless something's changed in the time since.
You won't see staffers as bus drivers... if I remember correctly, that's equivalent to an EO3 position in Streets division, at which point, they'll only hire from within.
Retired military really has less to do with it than the "good ol' boy" system... Colorado Springs is just like Mississippi in that regard.
I can't disagree with you. I lump all the staffers into one group and all the drivers into another. I can't really comment on the politics of the city bus system. I just know what I've seen and dealt with in a few years of using the system.

Good 'ol boys? Well, that's just how this town has been run for years. I use past tense in optimism. Nothing new there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,210 times
No, it isn't. I never can seem to get away from it, no matter where I go.
I gotta go back to CS Monday - Tuesday. It's weird... wasn't that long since I moved out of there, but it feels like it's been much longer. Maybe I'll finally go to that Tucano's place or whatever it's called. Been wanting to go there since they opened up, but life always gets in the way, you know?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
No, it isn't. I never can seem to get away from it, no matter where I go.
I gotta go back to CS Monday - Tuesday. It's weird... wasn't that long since I moved out of there, but it feels like it's been much longer. Maybe I'll finally go to that Tucano's place or whatever it's called. Been wanting to go there since they opened up, but life always gets in the way, you know?
This thread is getting off topic but I do know what you mean. I left this area twice but keep being drawn back. Is it utopia? Nah, it took years to even get a public transportation system in place that is functional. Still has some work to do but it's better than it was. Tucano's, the Brazilian restaurant on Powers? It's kind of neat. Definitely different for the Springs but, hey, if public transportation is any indicator, this big 'ol town might actually be growing into a city. All the clues are starting to point that way.

Last edited by Littlekw; 09-05-2014 at 12:01 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 AM

Well, it all depends on who you ask.. according to some, it's the fastest growing metro area in Colorado. According to Michael Bloomberg, it's a place which doesn't even have roads.
There were things I liked about the Springs, and I liked spending time in Manitou, as well.
They seem to be doing quite a bit of construction on Powers... I'm seeing this western wear store at Powers/Constitution which I never saw before, lots of other new construction going on, plus a lot more going on from Research and points north from there. Did a bunch of dirt work with Martin-Marietta Materials in the Powers and Research area, and there was a lot more to be done still, which means they're anticipating people to fill the houses they're putting up there (although that's some really crappy material to work with there, especially for a company trying to do a carefully timed "shape and pave" operation).

Old 09-05-2014, 12:35 AM

^ To me, the 'burbs are an abomination. What is happening on the Powers corridor is the same thing that happened on the Academy thoroughfare. Yay, commercial and residential development that the city, much less the public transit system, couldn't keep up with.

Whoa, Colorado Springs. You win. You have more space within your city limits than any other city in Colorado.

Good for you, El Paso County. You out-paced Denver County and are now the most populous in Colorado. So, now what? What are you going to do with with your newfound celebrity? Be great or elect people like these to represent you: Gordon Klingenschmitt | Right Wing Watch

Why doesn't this city and county live up to its potential?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:02 AM

I could ask the same about the nation as a whole, but when your options are those allowed to be presented by a rigged system, it's kinda ludicrous to expect leaps and bounds in advancement.
I remember seeing a rally of anarchists back in 2006, and their "war cry" was "Vote NO ONE in 2008!". Never really got into the ideology, but it makes me wonder sometimes if they might be onto something worth giving a shot. Not that it would ever happen, but I digress.
Which I suppose is why it amuses me when I hear people talk about "revolution", and how they're going to resist the United Nations. What would the fight be for? A WalMart and McDonald's on every corner? The status quo? More the same as we have now? I've already done two tours fighting for that (albeit unwittingly), and I sure as hell won't do it again.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
I'm a huge proponent of public transportation as well as walking and biking. I gave up driving when gas hit $3 a gallon. As a regular user of Mountain Metro let me give you my perspective. It's a lot better than it was a year ago!

A year ago the buses only ran from 6am to 6pm Monday through Friday. They expanded to having a few select routes run on Saturday before long. Then they brought back night service, where some routes ran until 10pm. A few months ago Sunday service was added and for the first time, buses ran on Powers. It's baby steps but in the past 12 months CS public transportation has made some great steps forward. Let's all hope it keeps going on that track.

It frustrated me hearing about people who couldn't find a job because they didn't have a way to get to it. Opening the Powers corridor with a new bus route just opened up hundreds of potential jobs to people who want them. They're are still "black holes" of public transportation in the city (don't live to Briargate or Stetson Hills if you need to catch a bus) but the city of Colorado Springs seems to be making positive steps towards a viable public transportation system.
Hope Colorado Springs keeps going forward with the transportation system!! Hate driving in congested traffic!! I was so surprised to see busses running last Sunday! Way to go, not everyone drives, owns a vehicle. I know that lots of people in CS don't like riding or seeing a bus in their neighborhood but give the system a chance. Takes a lot of cars off the road!!!

Can't wait until CDOT brings the front range express back, they say next year??

Old 02-01-2015, 03:17 PM

Good news for Colorado Springs public transportation. The company that took over the contract a couple of years back seems to be making some serious effort to make the system more efficient. They actually pay attention to ridership data and adjust accordingly. Proposed Service Changes - Spring 2015 | Transit

Also, FREX is being reincarnated to provide service to Denver and beyond. https://www.codot.gov/travel/bustang and Colorado's 'Bustang' bus system unveiled during stock show parade - The Denver Post (cheesy name for that one but a good idea)

I've stated before that I'm a huge proponent of public transportation and as such, I use it on a regular basis. I already patronize the city bus system and having a public transit option to get to Denver and beyond will be great!

Last edited by Littlekw; 02-01-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
Good news for Colorado Springs public transportation. The company that took over the contract a couple of years back seems to be making some serious effort to make the system more efficient. They actually pay attention to ridership data and adjust accordingly. Proposed Service Changes - Spring 2015 | Transit

Also, FREX is being reincarnated to provide service to Denver and beyond. https://www.codot.gov/travel/bustang and Colorado's 'Bustang' bus system unveiled during stock show parade - The Denver Post (cheesy name for that one but a good idea)

I've stated before that I'm a huge proponent of public transportation and as such, I use it on a regular basis. I already patronize the city bus system and having a public transit option to get to Denver and beyond will be great!

I would ride the metro, but it's predictability is a total joke and is useless to me anyway. I live on Broadway off 21st street, so the nearest bus stop is 6 blocks away, and an equal distance away from my work. I would need to supplement the bus ride with my bike, and I'm only 5 miles from work. At that point, I may as well just ride my bike all the way, and I'd still get there faster than that stupid bus would. But I digress, I have to be to work by 6am, and they don't even start running until then, so it's a moot point.

I used to work on the metro busses as a mechanic, that is the most disfunctional organization I can think of.

I do want to try out the new bustang service though.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:38 AM

^ It's certainly not a perfect system in the Springs but even a little improvement is better than none. The nearest bus running to you is the #16 and that particular route is a joke. I live near 19th and Uintah and it's the same route that goes through my neighborhood. It takes such a circuitous route that to get from the Uintah Gardens shopping center to downtown is a 40 minute ride.

I work on Austin Bluffs and Academy now. To take the bus from home to work requires taking three buses (two transfers). If I take the #16 it takes me and hour and a half to get to work. If I walk down to Colorado Ave and take the #3 it takes me 45 minutes to get to work. Riding my bike? 40 minutes thanks to the network of trails in the Springs via Shooks Run, Rock Island and Templeton Gap Trails.

City bus service has room for improvement, certainly, but it's making strides in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs