Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,247 times

Advertisements

I am new here and am commuting from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park every morning via I-24. I have a front wheel drive sedan (Acura) with regular michelin tires. Will I be ok driving over the highway in this when the snow and ice come? Any suggestions are appreciated! Also, if there's anything else I should be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:39 AM

914 posts, read 2,205,598 times
Generally speaking, yes.

However, it would be so much better if you bought yourself another set of wheels and mounted snow tires from Thanksgiving to May Day. Snow tires give you more traction to get started, more stopping power to get you stopped, and more traction to hold you in corners. This is a significant expense, but it is both better and cheaper than an new AWD car.

Anything else? Keep an emergency kit in the trunk - space blanket, or even a quilt, folding shovel, tube sand, first aid, flashlight, heavy boots and socks should you need to walk. Make sure your wiper blades are up to the job of winter ice and slush. When conditions warrant make it a habit to let someone know your plans as cell phone service is not continuous up the pass.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 AM

481 posts, read 1,300,631 times
^ Good advice.

Keep in mind that during heavy rains in the summer 24 may close between Cascade and Manitou Springs due to flash flooding. This year wasn't as bad thanks to flood mitigation done on the highway but it still happened a couple of times. I have a co-worker that had to wait out the floods this summer before being able to make it home to Woodland Park. It's not frequent, now, but it can still happen thanks to the Waldo Canyo burn scar.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:43 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,069 times
Be sure to put in the wiper fluid that does not freeze too.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,247 times
Arrby, and all others, thank you so much! That is excellent advice and I will heed it! I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my request.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:51 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Default benefit of winter tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelady21 View Post
I am new here and am commuting from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park every morning via I-24. I have a front wheel drive sedan (Acura) with regular michelin tires. Will I be ok driving over the highway in this when the snow and ice come? Any suggestions are appreciated! Also, if there's anything else I should be aware of?
I've often been asked if winter tires are worth the cost. My answer is that if they prevent just one accident you get all your money back. In fact, they could save your life.

Watch this video. It demonstrates how just front drive with winter tires out performs AWD with summer tires:

Winter tyres: 4x4 grip test video | Auto Express

Old 09-12-2014, 04:56 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,650,547 times
Great info in this thread. Are winter tires also needed on 4-wheel drive vehicles?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:59 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
We lived in Divide, and my husband had an office in Woodland Park. He drove down to the Springs at least 3-4 times a week. We both had 4WD vehicles, and we both had studded snow tires. It was a "better safe than sorry" thing, and even if they were overkill, they really helped going up and down the pass. We never got stuck. Many times, there were cars off to the side of the road who couldn't make it up to WP, especially at the Motel X part of the pass.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:11 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Great info in this thread. Are winter tires also needed on 4-wheel drive vehicles?
The brakes just stop the wheels; the tire traction stops the car.

I think AWD is oversold. The problem on snow and ice is not going, it's stopping. For driving on icy roads, I'll take a FWD car with winter tires any day over an AWD with just all season tires.

Of course, the ultimate is AWD with winter tires. If you order a set mounted on a separate set of wheels you can wait until it actually snows to do the swap yourself in your garage. That's what I do.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:02 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,889,319 times
You'll be fine. The roads are snow packed in the morning maybe 15 days out of the year.

AWD is the way to go, once you have it you'll want it forever. Going up a snow packed hill with FWD blows, even with snow tires. Forget about it with an all season.

That said, I do have an AWD car and dedicated snow wheels/tires. I commute from WP to Cripple Creek every day, and I want to extend the life of my high end performance tires. It's a good solution to having the best for all seasons and I get 3-4 seasons out of each set of tires. You just have upfront costs (~$1,000) but you make it back by not replacing your all-seasons as often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs