Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM

371 posts, read 538,524 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I may be able to achieve my dream to move to Colorado in the next few months. I have most everything lined up living wise and such, but am looking for a job.

I got my degree in Instrumentation (I&E, I&C, Electronics, and Analyzers) and am looking for something along those lines. Mainly it will be work in the plants, but I do know that there are pipelines, breweries, laboratories and such that also can have jobs in my field. I am hoping to find some sort of Technician position, but am not finding much and do not have much networking up there currently but am trying to, (typically a person will stay in Texas for life after graduating from the college I so fellow alumni and teachers do not have many suggestions.)

Also, any others come from Texas? Excited to be able to have access to the mountains when the time comes!

Any good tips for a newcomer? Will be reading up to see if I find anything from earlier threads =)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:48 AM

6,800 posts, read 10,427,540 times
I might suggest checking with the Colorado Springs Utilities company - I found some old job postings for working at a power plant or on the southern delivery system that might be along the right lines. As for breweries, most are microbreweries here and might not post jobs - I would suggest contacting them directly as well.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks!!!- not much as far as jobs so far, but I am looking and making some connections as quickly as possible!

I will definitely have help finding my way around, but what are some of the "musts?"

Also what are some really good trails very close nearby? (I will be more in Fountain area) I know the mountains will be a hop, skip, and jump away- but if I want to make a short walk somewhere a bit closer possibly.

Also any good dog friendly parks/places/etc? Not interested in actual dog parks b/c I tend to avoid those.

No set date yet, but plans are slowly forming. Fingers crossed! I have wanted this my whole life!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:43 PM

553 posts, read 1,628,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
I will definitely have help finding my way around, but what are some of the "musts?"
It's not difficult to find your way around (the mountains are West). The "musts" depend a lot on your interests. Restaurants? Attractions? Neighborhoods? A good staring point is to figure out the relationship between the various neighborhoods: Downtown, Old North End, Ivywild, Broadmoor, Village Seven, Briargate and the like. You'll figure out I-25, Academy Blvd, and Powers very quickly (all run North South), and you'll discover equally quickly that your East West options are far more limiting.

Quote:
Also what are some really good trails very close nearby? (I will be more in Fountain area) I know the mountains will be a hop, skip, and jump away- but if I want to make a short walk somewhere a bit closer possibly.
From Fountain, I'd consider South Cheyenne Canyon. The Mt Cutler Trail, Seven Bridges, Columbine, St Mary's Falls trails all originate there. Palmer Park is a little farther away, but well worth the effort. Red Rocks open space and Garden of the Gods are farther still, but they're both absolute gems.

Quote:
Also any good dog friendly parks/places/etc? Not interested in actual dog parks b/c I tend to avoid those.
You can bring Sparky to any of the places I mentioned above, but you'll need him on a leash. Our parks system is generally very dog-friendly.

Quote:
No set date yet, but plans are slowly forming. Fingers crossed! I have wanted this my whole life!
Welcome!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:05 PM

Thank you so much! I will look up those trails and see where they will be from the house! I visited the city about three weekends ago, and then a couple weekends before that I was up on the trails in the mountains right next to Pikes Peak. It was great! I think it will be what I am hoping for =)

Old 10-06-2014, 07:56 PM

From Fountain you might also look at the trails in Cheyenne Mountain State Park - $7 daily pass fee but much more maintained than N. Cheyenne Canyon (S. Cheyenne Canon is actually Seven Falls area and is not currently open) and a very short drive from Fountain. But yes, North Cheyenne Canyon is great - there are many trails there. Are you wanting to bike or hike on the trails? Also, if you just want a leisurely stroll or a flat ride rather than something with incline, go to Fountain Creek Regional Park and from there you can access the regional trail that goes north/south all the way up to the Palmer Divide area.....

Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 AM

666 posts, read 1,043,679 times
FYI no dogs allowed on the trails in Cheyenne Mountain State park.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:23 AM

Ah, thanks for the heads up about dogs not being allowed!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 AM

553 posts, read 1,628,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
... N. Cheyenne Canyon (S. Cheyenne Canon is actually Seven Falls area and is not currently open)...
Otowi's right. I had my canyons reversed. The trails I mentioned above are all in NORTH Cheyenne Canyon.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 PM

I heard the Broadmoor might be planning to open the south canyon to more hiking though, when they do open it.... - can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: