Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 AM

67 posts, read 108,663 times

Advertisements

I like dogs. I own one. I like children. I had two who are now teens. What I don't like, are parents and owners who don't control either their children or dogs. Unfortunately, my neighborhood has these type of parents/owners.

To ALL dog owners- Please, if your dog is outside and is barking....let them in or teach them to stop. A few barks is one thing. But constant barking that goes on for a half hour or more is very annoying. This may not bother you since you probably have every window and door closed with your air conditioning or TV on. We like to have our doors open and enjoy fresh air without listening to Rex and Fluffy barking constantly. This happens day and night. In conclusion, please consider your neighbors and make your dog shut up or let him inside where it will bother only you. And please do NOT purchase dog toys that squeak. If you do, please keep them in the house where only YOU have to listen to them go - sqeekee sqeekee sqeekee sqeekee sqeekee sqeekee sqeekee sqeekee sqeekee (repeat for an hour)

To the parents of young children- Please, if your young child is playing outside and begins to scream for no reason, come out and tell them to stop. I mean screaming.....over and over, for no reason. They are not on fire. They are not being attacked. They don't have a severed appendage. They simply scream that little kid scream over and over while they play. I'm THRILLED that your child actually goes outside to play instead of watching tv or gaming, but do they have to scream whenever they aren't inhaling air for their next scream. I was a kid and don't remember me or any of my friends running around screaming our little heads off for no reason. I don't mind them yelling or laughing or even the occasional scream of regular play. But there are kids that simply scream and scream and scream for no apparent reason. Please open the door and tell them to stop that. Also- if you live in a neighborhood setting, do NOT give your child a whistle to play with. I can only assume you have told them NOT to blow it in the house?!?! So what makes you think to tell them to go play with it outside where it now bothers everyone else but you?! If your child loves their whistle, please load them both into your car, drive a mile out of town and let them blow the stupid whistle until you are both tired of it. Then return home and throw the whistle away.

Please feel free to copy this letter to any offenders. You know who they are!

If I were to play music outdoors at loud decibels, I'm certain the same houses that have these dogs or children would be bothered by it. But......out of respect for others, I don't do that. What a concept, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 08:32 AM

177 posts, read 314,959 times
And stay off my damn grass!!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
So funny, I have gone to neighbor's front doors after listening to their dogs barking all day...
effecting a peaceful day off with a friends coming and going visiting in my back yard.

The dogs were not let in and still barking as the owner, downtown, was checking
her mail at 5:30 pm, oblivious to them.

I told her of the problem all day...and it took a long time for her to understand it
was a big deal...that it went on ALL day.
Never happened again.
A reasonable owner.

Oh, and I find anonymous, friendly letters or postcards to residents is effective...from
overgrown weeds, junk accumulating on their front porches, paint peeling badly---all effecting
our prop values.
Somehow the feeling that someone is watching you and you are really effecting the whole wakes them up.
Remember,' friendly'...as in. "You probably haven't noticed and are really busy, but...."

Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffdiver View Post
And stay off my damn grass!!
I had to yell out my window..."Frank, pick that poop up!"
Never happened again!

'91 on the Westside.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:24 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I had to yell out my window..."Frank, pick that poop up!"
Never happened again!

'91 on the Westside.
Ah the poop issue.

Once owned a townhouse and my front lawn began dying due to all the dog poop by my neighbor's dogs. My son went over and talked to them about it a couple of times, to no avail. One day I went out and cleaned up all the dog poop in my yard -- literally a bucket full. Dumped on my neighbor's front steps. Never had a problem again. In fact, they moved.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:08 PM

208 posts, read 305,524 times
You sound like a good candidate for living in a gated community with strict HOAs. Or out on your own oasis of hundreds of acres.

My kids have a trampoline in the yard and, *gasp*, they make lots of noise when jumping on it with the neighborhood kids. Maybe I should go out and whip them with a stick until they appease the neighborhood grumpy-pants.

I'm glad I don't live by you.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post
You sound like a good candidate for living in a gated community with strict HOAs. Or out on your own oasis of hundreds of acres.

My kids have a trampoline in the yard and, *gasp*, they make lots of noise when jumping on it with the neighborhood kids. Maybe I should go out and whip them with a stick until they appease the neighborhood grumpy-pants.

Normal kid play is one thing. It's not annoying as kids are making all kinds of sounds at all different sound levels. Kids having fun and laughing is nice to hear. Non-stop screaming just because a kid can is something entirely different.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:20 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post

There is a family with four little girls in our neighborhood. They scream ~~ ear piercing, blood curdling screams ~~ when playing. They chase each other, run around, jump, and scream. Constantly. I don't know what it is, but it seems screaming is so much more common these days. I don't remember my friends or me ever screaming while playing, but maybe my parents nipped it in the bud and I learned not to.

I have no objection to happy squeals of laughter but blood curdling, high pitched, constant screaming is not pleasant, rather it really puts a damper on open windows in nice weather.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:53 AM

67 posts, read 108,663 times
Shanen- I'm glad you don't live by me either. From your post, I'm guessing you are the type of disrespectful parent or dog owner that my original post/rant is directed at.

And SHAME on you for even joking about whipping children with a stick, for any reason. I believe if kids (and mine are living proof) are raised from birth to obey their parents and be respectful of others, *gasp* they shouldnt need any whipping. I also believe that disrespectful parents breed disrespectful children.

Sincerely-
Grumpy-pants neighbor with the dog who isn't allowed to bark when outside and kids who were taught to respect others....just like their parents strive to do.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:05 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post

I have no objection to happy squeals of laughter but blood curdling, high pitched, constant screaming is not pleasant, rather it really puts a damper on open windows in nice weather.
Plus, sometimes I wonder if someone is screaming, because they need help?? What about that? I hear screams and I think someone might be in danger......can't children play without screaming at the top of their little lungs? There is a difference between happy laughter and screams; in this day and age, we should teach kids not to scream unless they are in real trouble.

Just because we love our children and animals, does not mean the world does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs