Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 AM

77 posts, read 352,427 times

Advertisements

Please Please Please.....Someone tell me if a loaf of bread really cost $3 in Colorado Springs? My husband, my two children and I going to be relocating to Fort Carson. This is our first PCS ( I think thats what they call it in the military). Im new to the military lifestyle even though my husband has been in for 4 years. I have been asking around the base where we are at now and someone said that it is a very expensive ie...bread $3, gas $3.75, gallon of milk $4 etc. Now Im scared instead of excited. I was looking at all the beautifull pics and the wonderfull activites. Could someone tell me the truth about prices. Is it easy to get jobs and do they pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 AM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times
Over the last several years, the cost of living in the Springs has tended to be 5-7% lower than the national average. Bread, gas, milk......all reasonable.

As for the ease of getting jobs and the rate of pay, that depends entirely on what sort of job you're looking for. It's a military town, and I've never heard of problems finding jobs for military family members. But, if you're looking for a job as a surfing instructor or a marine biologist, that might be a bit tougher than a job as a nurse or a teacher or a secretary.

There's a reason so many retired military families live in the area -- it's a terrific (and affordable) place to live.

If you're new to the military, let the military system take care of you, but join in the community as well. Sure, the Commissary and PX are there for you, but so are local grocery stores and merchants. Take it all in.

If you don't love this assignment, it's no one's fault but your own. Enjoy!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Relax, those prices someone told you are bogus. Here are actual prices we pay at King Sooper's, part of the Kroger chain.

- Whole Wheat Bread $1.99
- Gallon of 2% Milk $2.87
- Gallon of Regular Gas $2.59
- Banana's $.50/pound
- Bag of Cole Slaw $1.89

Prices in the commissary should be 20-25% LOWER than what we pay on the local economy. Both you and your Army spouse should have your own AKO account on the Army intranet. You can then get PCS info on the Carson webpage and get yourself squared away. There is a sort of Army welcome wagon process at each post, so talk to them and other Army spouses. It's lovely here, tons to do, mountains are incredible and Carson will be one of your favorite Army posts.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 AM

227 posts, read 1,044,332 times
Oh definitely take advantage of the SUPER LOW prices at the commissary on base. My mother-in-law shops there and I sometimes go with her to do my own shopping (but she has to pay, so I just slip her the cash before we get in line). If you live close to the commissary there's really no need to even shop at the regular grocery stores here (which are King Soopers and Albertsons) unless you forgot something or need just one item. BTW-don't forget that you need to get your wine and hard liquor at liquor stores which are closed on Sundays here. Some beer and some wine cooler stuff you can find at grocery stores 7 days a week. Funny thing - you can't buy a bottle of wine or a car on Sunday here. :-)

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 AM

77 posts, read 352,427 times
Thank You so much for all the help from everyone. Everyone seems so nice and I trully do look forward to our move. The prices that you have listed are not much different than the ones here on this post. I have been to the Carson website but there really isnt much info there so I have been trying to find it else where. Thanks again everyone. Ill be sure to stock up one the liqour! Cant have a BBQ without a nice drink! As far as getting a job i'm not a rocket scientist or anything so I think I will be ok! Again thank you so much all of you were helpfull. Cant wait to get there!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
A lot of people who say how "expensive" Colorado is, have never lived there. I got the same thing when I thought about moving there.

While Colorado is slightly more expensive than where I am from (Iowa), its right on par with the national average. My family and friends back home in Iowa just don't realize that just about anywhere will be more expensive than Iowa.

The prices are pretty much normal, except if youre from California. Then Colorado seems like a bargain.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:48 PM

227 posts, read 1,044,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
The prices are pretty much normal, except if you're from California. Then Colorado seems like a bargain.
This is so true! I am one of those Southern California relocaters!!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:01 PM

268 posts, read 1,130,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplmr View Post
Please Please Please.....Someone tell me if a loaf of bread really cost $3 in Colorado Springs? My husband, my two children and I going to be relocating to Fort Carson. This is our first PCS ( I think thats what they call it in the military). Im new to the military lifestyle even though my husband has been in for 4 years. I have been asking around the base where we are at now and someone said that it is a very expensive ie...bread $3, gas $3.75, gallon of milk $4 etc. Now Im scared instead of excited. I was looking at all the beautifull pics and the wonderfull activites. Could someone tell me the truth about prices. Is it easy to get jobs and do they pay?
Shop at the commissary for as much as you can. It will be 20-30% cheaper than other places (prices are wholesale plus 5%, commissaries do not make a profit). If the veggies/fruit aren't good at the commissary (sometimes they aren't, depending on the base), then just get that at King Soopers, Walmart, or Safeway.

Job availability and pay will depend highly on what you do.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post

The prices are pretty much normal, except if youre from California. Then Colorado seems like a bargain.
Not really. I think everything is about the same...gas was a little cheaper in COS a year or so ago. The only thing that is cheaper is real estate - and that is a big thing. Heating costs are higher in winter in COS but I don't need A/C here and you really need it in non-coastal California. I buy most of my non daily essentials on the internet anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs