Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 PM

16 posts, read 19,897 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My fam and I are moving from Germany to COS this summer and I don't want to move again, EVER! I think this place is the right fit for us so I want to do this right.
What I am looking for is a modern to chic area with character in a family friendly neighbodhood. I want to be on the westside. I want to steer clear of crime. We don't have unlimited funds, but are not in the worst shape. Please help me find the right place for my new life in the springs.

I just want it all is all. We are relocating and our number one priority is school district. I will live in a shack in the best school district. Next we want to live where we like the neighbors and the neighborhood. This means the crime is low and we have something to see outside. We will be working south of town, but are not dead set on NO commute.

What specific neighborhoods and schools would you choose to live in? Why? Thanks SO SO SO much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 PM

6,803 posts, read 10,443,585 times
If you want to be Westside, your district choices are D12 (Cheyenne), D14 (Manitou), D11 (Colorado Springs), D20 (Academy) and maybe D38 (Lewis-Palmer) - listed from south to north.

If you judge "best school district" by socioeconomics and standardized test scores, D12 probably wins, and either D20 or D38 would probably be second. All of the listed districts are fine on the west side. Lots of people speak highly of D20. Most people in D14 and westside D11 also seem quite happy with their schools, and ditto for D38.

As for modern-to-chic with character on the westside - this one has me stumped a bit. West side is generally hard to characterize as modern, but it does have character. It kind of sounds like you want an urban vibe but I'm not sure? If that is true, you might like downtown, which may be close enough to westside for your tastes. I think "modern to chic" is a little more likely there than in Old Colorado City, which is the true westside. If you want your kids to attend D12 though make sure you live in D12. All districts and school allow permits in, but if they're full, they're full, so if you have your heart set on a particular school or district, make sure you live there when kids are school age. Budgets will play a lot into what you can find that suits your tastes in D12.

Crime of course can happen anywhere, but the most commonly noted area to avoid, if any, is Harrison School District 2 - particularly south east Colorado Springs around Airport Road.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM

409 posts, read 701,429 times
I was really pleased with Howbert Elementary on the west side when we lived in that area for a few weeks. I wouldn't call Pleasant Valley neighborhood chic, but it's pretty nice (not fancy, definitely) and very affordable.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 AM

20,244 posts, read 14,477,175 times
When I think "modern/chic" I think of the steel and glass, big city kind of expensive chic. And this city doesn't have a strong feel of that anywhere in my opinion. It's just not a super modern, big city, kind of a place.

We do have plenty of neighborhoods that are chic in an artsy, charming, unusual sort of way, as well as some very charming older neighborhoods. In fact for a city this far west in the country I was pretty impressed that there are so many charming, quiet, older neighborhoods clustered so closely into the downtown area. Most cities I've lived in have a bigger and more developed business center that has swallowed up territory that here in the Springs has managed to remain residential, and/or pockets of residential in the heart of cities wind up being run down.

I know you want it all, and you want it immediately...but a recommendation I picked up on pretty quick when I joined these forums, is that newcomers who haven't lived here before should rent for a minute to get to know the area. I really do think it's a good idea. You don't need more than a year in a rental before you pretty much will have it figured out...and it gives you a chance to reconsider, as opposed to buying a place and being stuck with the property if you realize you prefer a different part of town.

Also there is something to be said for living in a fairly normal residential neighborhood, in a nice house, and just driving to the more "chic" areas to shop and dine and walk around.

Be aware also that for parts of the west side that have more trees, fire danger is a serious big deal. I had a friend lose her home in Mountain Shadows just a few years back to a big wildfire. It's been a nightmare for her. It's something to think about. Also areas of the west side that are up the hills a bit will get more wintry conditions and the roads can get tricky, and some places also suffer from flash flooding. I'm not saying that no one should consider living in that area, but I'm saying that you should really give it thought and do your homework before you buy property there.

As for schools, as stated in depth in another thread recently, be aware that some programs (music in particular- band/orchestra) are not available in all schools, so if certain things are important to you, look into them specifically and don't be afraid to call the district office and ask questions. I have a good impression of Holmes middle school and Coronado high school, and if I were looking into the west side that's the first area I'd be interested in personally. But orchestra in middle school is really important to me.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:15 PM

16 posts, read 19,897 times
Wow!! Thank you all for such thoughful thoughout responses. I will take it all to heart. I am just so tired of moving that I was hoping to only have to do it once more! I have this crazy notion every time that this time I have it figured out and with just a little help with some savvy insiders I'd nail this last pick. I know, stupid idea! I need to rent. I also need to listen and learn from EVERYONE, so thanks again!!

Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 PM

20,244 posts, read 14,477,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolio View Post
Wow!! Thank you all for such thoughful thoughout responses. I will take it all to heart. I am just so tired of moving that I was hoping to only have to do it once more! I have this crazy notion every time that this time I have it figured out and with just a little help with some savvy insiders I'd nail this last pick. I know, stupid idea! I need to rent. I also need to listen and learn from EVERYONE, so thanks again!!
It's not a stupid idea! I totally get being tired of moving, and wanting to settle.

But I feel like giving yourself a chance to really scout in person, get a good feel for it all...makes it more likely that when you do buy a house and settle into it, you will have found The One...and then you won't want to move again. As opposed to rushing into buying, then discovering that there is something about the property or the neighborhood that is awful and you hate it. Then you'd have a real pain trying to move to a better place.

And the perfect home for one person is not the perfect home for everyone!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 PM

481 posts, read 1,294,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It's not a stupid idea! I totally get being tired of moving, and wanting to settle.
Yup, I've gotten to the same point in life. I had a lot of fun and don't regret having lived in six states, a dozen and half towns and numerous neighborhoods in the last 15 years but I'm liking the idea of moving again less and less. I lucked out in that respect; I found a city and neighborhood I love and intend to park myself in. It's the west side of Colorado Springs (although I do have an almost equal love of the Ivywild neighborhood in this city).

The west side isn't modern-chic. It's one of the oldest neighborhoods in Colorado, Old Colorado City being founded in 1859 and becoming the site of the first capital of the Colorado Territory when it was formed in 1861 (that distinction didn't last long). It was the county seat of El Paso County until the courthouse was moved to Colorado Springs in 1873. The area has a lot of character and history but modern, it is not. It's more shabby-chic.

That said, if you're looking at the west side, Old Colorado City isn't the only neighborhood. The Broadmoor area is a totally different neighborhood, being very upscale and wealthy. North of Uintah St. and west of I-25 tends to be more suburban, more so the further north you go into the Holland Park, Rockrimmon, Mountain Shadows and Peregrine neighborhoods. It's all a very safe and good place to live. The Holland Park area tends to be my least favorite part of the west side because of the high concentration of poorly built and cheap apartments.

Old Colorado City is by far my favorite area of the west side. It's got great history and character. It's an eclectic mix of people from families to hippies and young to old. It has a great base of local businesses that work together to continually improve the area.

Sonic_Spork mentions Holmes Middle School and Coronado High School; the two are essentially around the corner from each other on the west side of town. I have a good friend whose 6th grader goes to Holmes and 9th grader goes to Coronado. He couldn't be happier with both schools. They're excellent in both academics and extracurriculars from what he tells me.

All said, it'd be best if you could visit before you move. Colorado Springs is a great city for the likes of me but it isn't for everyone. A visit may scare you off, make you fall madly in love with the city or even find a part of town you like better than the west side. Good luck!

Last edited by Littlekw; 02-09-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs