Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,270 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the colorado springs area and would like to know if commuting from yoder to colorado springs is realistic? How far is it? I currently live in Hawaii and would like to get a home in the 175000 range with a few acres of land or possibly trade my home in Volcano Hi. for a Colorado Springs home. Also how is the areas medical care facilities? Thanks for your help
Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 AM

53 posts, read 451,697 times
Yoder is about 30 miles due east of Colorado Springs. The drive is not too bad most of the time, but can be almost impossible during winter storms. You will need to expect to be unable to get to the Springs a couple of times a month.

Yoder is a very small, rural community. There are no medical facilities out there that I am aware of. However, the medical facilities in Colorado Springs are quite good with 2 brand new hospitals.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:00 PM

8 posts, read 34,681 times
The worst thing about Yoder and that area (aside from being isolated) is the constant breeze. It never lets up and is very annoying during the summer. You can't have a decent outdoor party there. Maybe in another 50 years when they get some more trees.

For your price range consider Security/Widefield. It's right between Colorado Springs and Fountain and you can get a pretty nice house for $175,000 right about now.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,360 times
Are there Amish families living in Yoder?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Even though it is a surname associated with the Amish, I don't think there is an Amish community in Yoder, Colorado. There is one in Westcliffe. Colorado’s Amish – For The Los Angeles Times | Denver Photographer and Photojournalist | +1 303.478.8484

Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times
Although the idea of living "out in the country" is very appealing to me, the areas East of Colorado Springs are out there in a vasty nothingness. East Colorado resembles Kansas pretty quickly. Like the other posters mentioned, the wind whips through there constantly....not exactly the place for allergy sufferers like me. Winters out there are rough too.....blowing snow and super high wind. Got to have a sturdy vehicle.

Also, because the land is so flat, any structure is prone to wind damage and believe it or not, lightning. I have a co-worker who lives in Calhan...out in the same area, and in the middle of a vasty nothingness, and his home was struck by lightning last year!!

Thank goodness no one was hurt, but as you can imagine, it blew everything electrical in his home, including his brand new flat panel TV....and did a fair amount of eletrical damage to everything plugged in. He had to rip out the walls where the lightning came through and burned up the dry-wall. Guess that's why you have home owners insurance, but geez louize.

Wouldn't that also be a tremendous lifestyle change for you? My first thought was......really??? Hawaii to Yoder??
I mean that's great if that's what you're looking for, then more power to ya..... but from tropical paradise, with bikini wearing polynesian vixens to wind-swept cowtown in the prairies of Colorado....big change....big!
On the plus side....definitely no sharks in Yoder.

Last edited by Terytee; 04-08-2011 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs