Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:20 AM

203 posts, read 597,135 times

Advertisements

Okay, I got the whole public transportation thing down. Nowhere near what Denver has to offer. I own a car, a 4X4 pick up and 2 motorcycles so I don't depend on it. I still used it in Denver whenever I went downtown but I understand COS downtown isn't anything like Denver. What's the little bit of night life like in COS? Is it mainly military looking for something to do during their down time or do you barely notice how much the military presence is in the city. I'm a little worried that I will not feel at home like I did around Denver just because of the huge military presence. I'm proud of our armed forces and have all the respect in the world for what they do but it's not in my background. Is the military presence in your face everywhere you turn or is it much like life around Denver on a smaller, more laid back scale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 10:29 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
There are times you will see folks out in uniform, but not for a night out on the town. You won't even likely know who is military and who isn't, at least at first. Except for on base, around less than 10% of the population in a typical Colorado Springs zip code is military. 80911 is about 5%. 80904 is about 1%. 80906 is about 5%. 80916 is about 11%. I personally don't think you'll find it not feeling homey, I think you'll be fine.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:55 AM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
I also lived in Springs for a short while, I didn't like it either. I don't like the mindset of most people there.
What mindset would that be? I've lived here for 20 years, and I find the community to be pretty diverse. I've certainly never noticed a singular mindset of "most people there."

Quote:
...when you have people who vote down taxes for essential services that lay off police, fire, turn street lights off, and let parks and pools go to waste. Then the same people ***** about the increase in crime, that their children don't have a safe place to play, and wonder where the firefighters are as they watch their homes burn in the several fires recently, you have exactly as you quoted "another crappy mid sized city."
There are so many inaccuracies here, it's hard to categorize them.

No one ever voted down tax increases for essential services. They voted down generic tax increases, and the city manager decided to punish the voters by cutting those essential services. When the voters basically fired the city manager by changing the city charter to include a strong mayor, the street lights came back on and the parks were cared for without additional taxes. And, as for the fires, we could have employed 10,000 more firefighters, and the Waldo Canyon and Black Forest fires would still have ravaged the neighborhoods that were destroyed. The fires were not caused by, nor could they have been contained by, the budget for city services.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 AM

304 posts, read 344,129 times
Anywhere one lives, you may find it diverse, unless you are from the outside. Springs is typically known as a conservative, anti-tax, religious, military city.

When talking about the fires, does it really matter how many homes were destroyed if a few more could have been saved? Yes, fires are a natural disaster, but when you have more first responders who know the area it's possible to save homes. Ask some of those people who lost their homes if it was worth the cut in taxes....I'll venture you weren't one of them, so you don't care, it didn't affect you.

Wildfire Tests Police in Colorado Tax Movement

Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 PM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
Ask some of those people who lost their homes if it was worth the cut in taxes.
Of course, had every single tax increase been approved, those that lived in Mountain Shadows would STILL have lost their homes. The loss of homes due to wildfires has NOTHING to do with tax cuts. Was a fire station in the Mountain Shadows neighborhood closed? Nope. Would a 10% increase in CSFD funding have saved any homes? Nope. 20%? Nope.
Quote:
I'll venture you weren't one of them, so you don't care, it didn't affect you.
True, I did NOT lose my home to a wildfire, but to make the conclusion that I don't care is incorrect and, frankly, insulting.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
What mindset would that be? I've lived here for 20 years, and I find the community to be pretty diverse. I've certainly never noticed a singular mindset of "most people,"

And, as for the fires, we could have employed 10,000 more firefighters, and the Waldo Canyon and Black Forest fires would still have ravaged the neighborhoods that were destroyed. The fires were not caused by, nor could they have been contained by, the budget for city services.

We have lived in COS, for 14 years, and the people of this region are so good hearted. Maybe, we all have different backgrounds and religions & beliefs; but I have found for the most part, that people are so willing to help strangers in their times of need, or just be nice!! Even the retail people are nice. IMO; (you know how when it is really busy at times,) the cashiers and EVEN deli people are helpful and it does not seem forced or phony. Could be me, we lived in another part of Colorado, that was quite the opposite............anyway...

Those horrible fires were so devastating!! Both fires were reported to be human caused. Hopefully, with our new sheriff, someone will be held accountable. The winds were so major in both fires.

In the case of the Black Forest fire, the powers that be, were fighting over who should put the fire out. I was married to a firefighter and he always said; put the fire out than argue who is going to pay for wages; etc. Fire moves too fast, to stand around and argue who is going to put the fires out!! "Whose JURISDICTION," is this"?????

Two people died at Waldo Canyon and I think 3 in Black Forest. Over 800 homes were destroyed totally in those fires. So devastating and tragic. There are Photos at the El Paso County office on Garden of the Gods rd.
of some of the people that lost their homes. Those people, in the photos look and sound hopeful for the future; I will never forget their sad eyes...........

My hope is, that who ever started those fires, by accident or intent will be brought to justice. PLEASE DON'T THROW your cigs out the car windows and watch those campfires, make sure the embers are completly gone. And hey, teens or whatever don't start fires.............not cute,or funny, just insane.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:24 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
Of course, had every single tax increase been approved, those that lived in Mountain Shadows would STILL have lost their homes. The loss of homes due to wildfires has NOTHING to do with tax cuts. Was a fire station in the Mountain Shadows neighborhood closed? Nope. Would a 10% increase in CSFD funding have saved any homes? Nope. 20%? Nope.
True, I did NOT lose my home to a wildfire, but to make the conclusion that I don't care is incorrect and, frankly, insulting.
True Maynerd. I live in Mountain Shadows. 6 homes in my neighborhood were total losses. That fall, we had a block party for the fire personnel who fought the blazes near us. Their opinion was that the initial lack of response was the primary reason the fire grew to the size it did. When the fire began it wasn't considered to be a potential threat until it was too late. High, shifting winds are what caused the fire to spread, not lack of funding.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 PM

177 posts, read 314,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
True Maynerd. I live in Mountain Shadows. 6 homes in my neighborhood were total losses. That fall, we had a block party for the fire personnel who fought the blazes near us. Their opinion was that the initial lack of response was the primary reason the fire grew to the size it did. When the fire began it wasn't considered to be a potential threat until it was too late. High, shifting winds are what caused the fire to spread, not lack of funding.
A lot of my freinds in BF used to say "WE never cut our trees down! That is why we LOVE BF!!".

Well, when the fires started you could see many houses that had huge pine trees touching the sides of the homes, and wood piles stacked on top on wooden decks.

Hopefully "those people" learned a lesson. I'm sure the insurance companies have also taken note.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:34 AM

304 posts, read 344,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
We have lived in COS, for 14 years, and the people of this region are so good hearted. Maybe, we all have different backgrounds and religions & beliefs; but I have found for the most part, that people are so willing to help strangers in their times of need, or just be nice!! Even the retail people are nice. IMO; (you know how when it is really busy at times,) the cashiers and EVEN deli people are helpful and it does not seem forced or phony. Could be me, we lived in another part of Colorado, that was quite the opposite............anyway...

Those horrible fires were so devastating!! Both fires were reported to be human caused. Hopefully, with our new sheriff, someone will be held accountable. The winds were so major in both fires.

In the case of the Black Forest fire, the powers that be, were fighting over who should put the fire out. I was married to a firefighter and he always said; put the fire out than argue who is going to pay for wages; etc. Fire moves too fast, to stand around and argue who is going to put the fires out!! "Whose JURISDICTION," is this"?????

Two people died at Waldo Canyon and I think 3 in Black Forest. Over 800 homes were destroyed totally in those fires. So devastating and tragic. There are Photos at the El Paso County office on Garden of the Gods rd.
of some of the people that lost their homes. Those people, in the photos look and sound hopeful for the future; I will never forget their sad eyes...........

My hope is, that who ever started those fires, by accident or intent will be brought to justice. PLEASE DON'T THROW your cigs out the car windows and watch those campfires, make sure the embers are completly gone. And hey, teens or whatever don't start fires.............not cute,or funny, just insane.
Thank you, mollygee. When you come from the side of law enforcement and first responders it's frustrating when people don't understand how important these services are. Thank you for your insight.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffdiver View Post
A lot of my freinds in BF used to say "WE never cut our trees down! That is why we LOVE BF!!".

Well, when the fires started you could see many houses that had huge pine trees touching the sides of the homes, and wood piles stacked on top on wooden decks.

Hopefully "those people" learned a lesson. I'm sure the insurance companies have also taken note.
Understand. I live in a neighborhood not unlike anywhere else in town. We're in the foothills but not surrounded by natural vegetation. Smaller yards, grass, required to plant 1 tree in your front yard. People who reside in areas within the forest must absolutely take steps to remove fuels from around their properties. The homes that burned in my neighborhood were bombed from the air by embers, that's what took us out . The fire itself never reached us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs