Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times

Advertisements

For what it is worth, even in all the Trump-wants-to-ban-Muslims stuff going on right now, I, a pretty obviously Muslim person, have gone about my business around town as usual without a single nasty look or comment. To the contrary, several people have taken the time to ask if I was okay and offer support. I know there are anti-Muslim people here - I hear them talk the talk on social media, etc. But I feel I'm as safe here as I could be anywhere in this climate. Bigotry exists everywhere - and, probably, to at least some extent - in nearly every single person. But I get the sense here that most people at least attempt to be civil and decent to fellow man most of the time, and most are willing to put their necks out a bit to do that.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Is the Springs racist? Yes, some folks are.

Is NYC racist? Yes, some folks are.

Is Mexico racist? Yes, some folks are.

It exists and unfortunately probably always will. Is there "institutional" racism here like in the Jim Crow south? No.

My wife is Korean. She is a CPA, Realtor, and ACA/Medicare consultant. She speaks broken English, but most can understand her with no issue. She will occasionally bust her butt and write a policy for somebody who then just moves it to another agent out of the blue. Why? Probably because with her accent they MAY automatically assume she's inferior to an Anglo. What they don't know is she holds several degrees, is an IRS Enrolled Agent, and has 30 years experience in what she does. Is it "racist" for folks to move their policies to "someone who speaks English better"? Maybe. But she sees that as "life", and God bless her moves on. And she tells me, "They'd do the same to you in Pusan".

Old 12-10-2015, 02:36 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Is the Springs racist? Yes, some folks are.

Is NYC racist? Yes, some folks are.

Is Mexico racist? Yes, some folks are.

It exists and unfortunately probably always will. Is there "institutional" racism here like in the Jim Crow south? No.

My wife is Korean. She is a CPA, Realtor, and ACA/Medicare consultant. She speaks broken English, but most can understand her with no issue. She will occasionally bust her butt and write a policy for somebody who then just moves it to another agent out of the blue. Why? Probably because with her accent they MAY automatically assume she's inferior to an Anglo. What they don't know is she holds several degrees, is an IRS Enrolled Agent, and has 30 years experience in what she does. Is it "racist" for folks to move their policies to "someone who speaks English better"? Maybe. But she sees that as "life", and God bless her moves on. And she tells me, "They'd do the same to you in Pusan".
That is an excellent perspective, especially the "keep moving forward" perspective of your wife. I'm about as male and WASPY as it gets (at least in appearance) and still I encounter a certain degree of people just being jerks and taking advantage of you (me) in my professional life. Thankfully, it's only one of every 15-20 people so it doesn't make or break anything, but it's always sort of amazing how willing some people are to take advantage of you. And yet, the best approach is that of your wife, to continue to be professionally courteous and work hard and efficiently for everybody and don't let a few bad apples spoil the entire bunch. It comes back around and really there's no other sensible approach.

As to whether the Springs has a higher percentage of bad apples (or racists or whatever) than anywhere else, my emphatic response would be "I seriously doubt it." People for the most part are pretty happy to be here and that (for the most part) translates into a generally friendly atmosphere, imho.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
For what it is worth, even in all the Trump-wants-to-ban-Muslims stuff going on right now, I, a pretty obviously Muslim person, have gone about my business around town as usual without a single nasty look or comment. To the contrary, several people have taken the time to ask if I was okay and offer support. I know there are anti-Muslim people here - I hear them talk the talk on social media, etc. But I feel I'm as safe here as I could be anywhere in this climate. Bigotry exists everywhere - and, probably, to at least some extent - in nearly every single person. But I get the sense here that most people at least attempt to be civil and decent to fellow man most of the time, and most are willing to put their necks out a bit to do that.
Really nice to hear and I am very happy for you. I have heard so much hate lately on the media, that it warms my heart to hear good things and helps restore my faith in humanity.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:37 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
That is an excellent perspective, especially the "keep moving forward" perspective of your wife. I'm about as male and WASPY as it gets (at least in appearance) and still I encounter a certain degree of people just being jerks and taking advantage of you (me) in my professional life. Thankfully, it's only one of every 15-20 people so it doesn't make or break anything, but it's always sort of amazing how willing some people are to take advantage of you. And yet, the best approach is that of your wife, to continue to be professionally courteous and work hard and efficiently for everybody and don't let a few bad apples spoil the entire bunch. It comes back around and really there's no other sensible approach.

As to whether the Springs has a higher percentage of bad apples (or racists or whatever) than anywhere else, my emphatic response would be "I seriously doubt it." People for the most part are pretty happy to be here and that (for the most part) translates into a generally friendly atmosphere, imho.
I recently moved here and for the most part, people are happy, friendly, and helpful. My attitude is life is not fair so move forward. I love living here and I treat people how I like to be treated. I agree with you totally!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs