U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 08:04 PM

177 posts, read 148,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Fan1 View Post
I would NEVER pay above-market (unless it was significantly priced too low).

Who are these chumps bidding on these? Sheesh.
I could be a future chump. If you want to move to COS (We at considering moving there for retirement), live far away, arrange a trip to fly in to look at houses and buy one (and you really only want to do that with one trip), you'd really like to end up with a house you like. A trip in to look with air, hotel, food, rental car, etc. with let's say a family of three is probably going to run about 5K, and I for one wouldn't want to do more than two of these. Going above market value so you don't have to do more 5K trips and actually get a house seems very conceivable.

Just wanted to give you one example Trump_Fan1 of a possible future chump and why someone might pay above market.

There aren't a lot of places in the country that offer semi big city amenities plus mountains that are reasonably affordable. Often too as long as you aren't over paying by too much, time in the home may be your friend. And Often too future retirees like us will be cash buyers, or maybe people just temporarily doing financing until they sell their other homes, which they wouldn't dream of putting on the market before getting something else because houses are getting snatched up fast in other places in the country too right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 692,464 times
Move to COS, rent while you shop for a new home?

Old 04-23-2017, 05:52 AM

6,070 posts, read 6,381,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Chumps need living space after accepting their new job assignment.

In case you haven't noticed, CO is at a 2.9 unemployment rate. We have reached a point where there is more demand for workers than there are people currently here. That means people are moving here in droves, available units are low, bidding above asking becomes the norm.
We were out driving yesterday, Saturday on Academy near the Chapel Hills Mall. The traffic was awful!

I really wish that people would stop moving here. But I think that 2.9% unemployment rate speaks for itself. If you have a developed, salable skill set and can fog a mirror, you're hired.

I keep getting e-mails begging me to return to work. They say that there are over 8000 jobs available here.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Move to COS, rent while you shop for a new home?
Thanks. Probably wise advise and I know a lot of people do that, but...

expensive mainly because I won't sell our house existing home (insurance that I have a great back up place - our plan B is staying put and we don't have to move) until we have a new home purchased (know we can find one we like in COS that we can live in permanently within our budget) // So a 12 month lease @ $2000 a month plus about 300 a month for utilities, etc. would cost us about $27,600. Not sure what options are for breaking a lease?? Maybe we could rent out our place to offset some of those costs, but I really don' t like that idea either. That means lowering the upper end of our housing budget by that amount too. // Rental choices are a bit more limited for us also because we won't give up our gentle giant (our 98 pound dog). When I took a quick look at houses on PPAR.com in the $1800 to $2200 a month price range, out of 56 home rentals just six allowed dogs that large (dogs up to 100 pounds). Two of those houses looked pretty nice on paper though, so I guess even with a large dog, there could be decent rental options. // My bean counter personality though balks at spending that extra $27,600 and moving twice.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
We were out driving yesterday, Saturday on Academy near the Chapel Hills Mall. The traffic was awful!

I really wish that people would stop moving here. But I think that 2.9% unemployment rate speaks for itself. If you have a developed, salable skill set and can fog a mirror, you're hired.

I keep getting e-mails begging me to return to work. They say that there are over 8000 jobs available here.
As I've said before, the US population keeps growing and those people have to live somewhere. I'm not sure it's all bad. Maybe if COS population grows people will get some of the things they want like a bigger freeway, better local airport, reinvigorated downtown etc.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
Thanks. Probably wise advise and I know a lot of people do that, but...

expensive mainly because I won't sell our house existing home (insurance that I have a great back up place - our plan B is staying put and we don't have to move) until we have a new home purchased (know we can find one we like in COS that we can live in permanently within our budget) // So a 12 month lease @ $2000 a month plus about 300 a month for utilities, etc. would cost us about $27,600. Not sure what options are for breaking a lease?? Maybe we could rent out our place to offset some of those costs, but I really don' t like that idea either. That means lowering the upper end of our housing budget by that amount too. // Rental choices are a bit more limited for us also because we won't give up our gentle giant (our 98 pound dog). When I took a quick look at houses on PPAR.com in the $1800 to $2200 a month price range, out of 56 home rentals just six allowed dogs that large (dogs up to 100 pounds). Two of those houses looked pretty nice on paper though, so I guess even with a large dog, there could be decent rental options. // My bean counter personality though balks at spending that extra $27,600 and moving twice.
I assume your mortgage is paid off. We were sure we wanted to move and found an apartment that allows dogs at $1500/mo.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I assume your mortgage is paid off. We were sure we wanted to move and found an apartment that allows dogs at $1500/mo.
Yes. And knowing that for sure you wanted to move to COS, that sounds like a great way to go. I'm glad some people don't mind the dogs. Our is so gentle and wouldn't wreck anything. For previous moves we sold the house and did the six month rental thing. But those were definite moves for us -- career opportunities -- leaving jobs in one state for ones in another state. // Companies paid for moves etc. too.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Fixed gif.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 AM

732 posts, read 598,491 times
Just make sure your dog isn't one of the breeds people refuse to rent to. It's hard to find a place that will rent if you have a rott, dobe, pit bull, etc.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:53 PM

1,023 posts, read 616,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

If you didn't drive on Chapel Hills, you may not have known, that a good chunk of it was closed over the weekend, I think it closed at Jamboree & much more of it was single lane (& continues to be). DH could not figure out how to get into the library LOL. So, while I agree that traffic can suck there, it was definitely particularly bad this weekend b/c of all the construction. It was closed at Briargate Blvd a few weeks ago & has had mostly 1 lane closed all the way into Pine Creek for going on a month now.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 PM

75 posts, read 79,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Chumps need living space after accepting their new job assignment.

In case you haven't noticed, CO is at a 2.9 unemployment rate. We have reached a point where there is more demand for workers than there are people currently here. That means people are moving here in droves, available units are low, bidding above asking becomes the norm.
That's just incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs