U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 PM

75 posts, read 79,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
I could be a future chump. If you want to move to COS (We at considering moving there for retirement), live far away, arrange a trip to fly in to look at houses and buy one (and you really only want to do that with one trip), you'd really like to end up with a house you like. A trip in to look with air, hotel, food, rental car, etc. with let's say a family of three is probably going to run about 5K, and I for one wouldn't want to do more than two of these. Going above market value so you don't have to do more 5K trips and actually get a house seems very conceivable.

Just wanted to give you one example Trump_Fan1 of a possible future chump and why someone might pay above market.

There aren't a lot of places in the country that offer semi big city amenities plus mountains that are reasonably affordable. Often too as long as you aren't over paying by too much, time in the home may be your friend. And Often too future retirees like us will be cash buyers, or maybe people just temporarily doing financing until they sell their other homes, which they wouldn't dream of putting on the market before getting something else because houses are getting snatched up fast in other places in the country too right now.
It's just crazy, when you put it that way, what most families must go through in terms of moving, selling their home, acquiring work, traveling with kids, then on top of that moving all of their belongings.

It's just staggering. 5k just for one trip. My god.

My GF and I will be selling our home in cash in 10 days, leaving in our car, with virtually no belongings (no more than will fit in the car, no furniture), with no immediate need for work. I plan on staying in an extended stay hotel that hopefully won't top out at more than $1200 per month (at least one on booking.com shows that rate).

My hope is to keep moving expenses very low. But I understand most families can't do that.

I would also agree that there are not many places LIKE Colorado Springs, so you pay a bit of a premium.

I can think of a few, Flagstaff, Arizona for example is even more expensive than the Springs.

I do like Provo and Orem, Utah, where homes are a little less expensive.

Outside of that, you have to look at Spokane, Boise, a few Montana cities to get that "mountain" experience, and those areas certainly tend to be less desirable (though I'd say Missoula might be an exception).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 AM

6,079 posts, read 6,397,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Fan1 View Post
It's just crazy, when you put it that way, what most families must go through in terms of moving, selling their home, acquiring work, traveling with kids, then on top of that moving all of their belongings.

It's just staggering. 5k just for one trip. My god.

My GF and I will be selling our home in cash in 10 days, leaving in our car, with virtually no belongings (no more than will fit in the car, no furniture), with no immediate need for work. I plan on staying in an extended stay hotel that hopefully won't top out at more than $1200 per month (at least one on booking.com shows that rate).

My hope is to keep moving expenses very low. But I understand most families can't do that.

I would also agree that there are not many places LIKE Colorado Springs, so you pay a bit of a premium.

I can think of a few, Flagstaff, Arizona for example is even more expensive than the Springs.

Outside of that, you have to look at Spokane, Boise, a few Montana cities to get that "mountain" experience, and those areas certainly tend to be less desirable (though I'd say Missoula might be an exception).
The easiest time to move is when you're young. I wistfully remember the days when I was young and single and all of my worldly possessions would comfortably fit in the back of my '62 VW Beetle. Moving was a simple weekend journey.

As for similar places with mountain views, I'd second that idea of the Utah front range. My wife's sister lives in Springville, a short drive from Provo. It's nice and scenic and the housing is cheaper than Colorado Springs. However, realize that the Mormon Church dominates the area and if you are not a member, you might feel slighted.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM

812 posts, read 1,310,604 times
Quote:
Having lived in Colorado Springs 15+ years now, and generally appreciated the balance of relative affordability and easy access to natural beauty, I can chime in a bit here and admit the "mountain" experience is a bit lacking. What I mean by that is that many neighborhoods in Colorado Springs are indeed nestled up against the foothills and we indeed have 14K foot Pikes Peak in our backyard HOWEVER that does not necessarily translate into easily accessible "mountain" experiences, depending on what you mean by "mountain" experience.

The nearest commercial ski mountain is Loveland, a 1 hour 45 minute drive if no traffic in Denver or I70 (good luck with that, more likely a 3 hour drive of frustration). Most folks who ski in COS go to either Breckenridge (2 hours via Hwy 24) or Salida/Monarch (2.5 hours via either Hwy 24 or 50).

I like to hike to naturally formed high alpine lakes, above say 11K feet. There are exactly zero of those in the Pikes Peak region (resevoirs yes, but no actual lakes). The nearest trailheads that have access to the type of "mountain" experience I covet are 2 hour drive away (either outside Buena Vista or Westcliffe).

So, to ski/snowboard or do much of anything "mountain-ish" other than hike up dry (though lovely) Pikes Peak, plan on a 2+ hour drive from Colorado Springs, each way.

Yes we have great foothills (I live in them) with neat little streams you can jump across. Great hiking and mountain biking in the foothills. No river to speak of. The Arkansas River flows through Pueblo, not COS. No skiing within 2 hours. No access to major ranges (Collegiate Peaks, Sangre de Cristo, etc.) within 2 hours.

COS is sadly not exactly a mountain adventure paradise. Compare it to a place like Taos, 3.5 hours south and west of COS. Taos has 5 ski mountains within 25 miles. Taos has the Rio Grande river just outside town, running through a gorge that creates a mini-Grand Canyon effect. Taos has 15-20 alpine lake hikes with trailheads between 15 minute and 45 minute drive.

I live in COS because it's a reasonably affordable place with a big enough population that I can make a decent living. I can get out to some nice walks in the foothills. I climb Pikes Peak every few years. That's about it. To get the vast majority of my "mountain" experiences, I tend to drive at least two hours, sometimes quite a bit more. Not complaining, but it is what it is.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 PM

177 posts, read 148,583 times
Quote:

That's a great list of places. The top two for us from there on paper at least are Colorado Springs and Boise, partly because we are looking for decent sized metro area. We're really into city amenities and theatre. I'd also like a place that offers decent job opportunities for DS as my best guess is that he'd move with us. We like seeing the mountains in the distance, hiking in the foothills, taking a walk in the neighborhood with a climate that is not overly humid, and doing the occasional weekend get-a-way to the mountains. We used to do a lot of skiing, but aren't into that anymore. Denver being close by and being able to fly to places we go to frequently for reasonable costs from Denver International is a big plus for Colorado Springs over Boise for us.

I think that all of these mountain places are getting more expensive, and I suspect that a big part of that is the ability for so many people to be able to telecommute and really live anywhere they want. The telecommute option is a reason too why we'd be able to move if we want to when DH retires, even though I'd be working for another seven years or so most likely.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:26 AM

6,079 posts, read 6,397,397 times
Default Update May 2017

"The median price - or mid-point - of homes sold during April climbed to $275,000, up nearly 11 percent from a year ago and breaking the record of $268,000 just set in March, according to a new Pikes Peak Association of Realtors report."

Colorado Springs home prices skyrocket to another record high | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

" It took an average of 28 days for homes to sell in April. By comparison in April 2012, homes sat on the market for an average of 87 days before selling.

- While the number of pricier home sales - $400,000 and up - rose in April, the biggest demand continued to be in lower price ranges. In April, about six of every 10 went for under $300,000. Homes in that price range often sell in a matter of hours, not days, Salzman said.

- The supply of homes for sale remained tight in April. Listings totaled 1,570 - the highest since December, but still down almost 25 percent on a year-over-year basis."

Old 05-03-2017, 08:09 AM

938 posts, read 590,118 times
Just got my latest tax assessment and my house in Briargate went from $174k to an assessed value of $195k.

Similar houses have recently sold for $235k + on my street so I'm very happy (house was paid-off a few years ago when my standard tax deduction ended up being more than my itemized deductions).

http://m.gazette.com/property-values...rticle/1602230

Last edited by LHS79; 05-03-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 08:18 AM

3,702 posts, read 2,938,448 times
On top of that, your actual taxes paid will likely be going down in spite of the increase in value due to the Gallagher amendment.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:18 AM

58 posts, read 58,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
On top of that, your actual taxes paid will likely be going down in spite of the increase in value due to the Gallagher amendment.
But insurance premiums may be going up as insurance companies look to recoup losses from the 7/16 hail storm.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:22 PM

938 posts, read 590,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryan View Post
But insurance premiums may be going up as insurance companies look to recoup losses from the 7/16 hail storm.
And if your district (like D20) approved a mill levy etc.. increase last November it will all probably be a wash anyways- but you will still pay more every year.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:32 PM

930 posts, read 1,443,822 times
Yeah, $25K rise here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs