U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 AM

208 posts, read 259,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Not sure how this continues because of the job situation here.
That's the thing though; the job market here isn't that bad. There are just a few people who make a lot of noise because they can't get a job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 AM

732 posts, read 598,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post
That's the thing though; the job market here isn't that bad. There are just a few people who make a lot of noise because they can't get a job.
That's interesting. I must just be in an odd neighborhood then because about half of the residents here are telecommuters and their companies are in other cities, my husband included.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 AM

208 posts, read 259,267 times
Quote:
That's interesting. I must just be in an odd neighborhood then because about half of the residents here are telecommuters and their companies are in other cities, my husband included.
Being telecommuters doesn't mean that you couldn't get a job though. Lots of people telecommute and pick where they want to live since they have that freedom. Obviously not a blanket statement though.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 AM

812 posts, read 1,309,718 times
Quote:
I must just be in an odd neighborhood then because about half of the residents here are telecommuters and their companies are in other cities, my husband included.
Gonna read some tea-leaves here. Is your neighborhood a new or newish-build developer-driven type-place, maybe in D-20, with a high-ish percentage of recent transplants, many of whom are 35-55 who brought their jobs with them from another place, many of the rest being officer-level or retired military (but still under 55) or work for one of the large evangelical non-profits. Mostly big-building mega-church options? That somewhat stereotypically describes the Northern and Northeastern quadrants of the city.

In the "rest" of COS, there's a smattering of telecommuters but a much larger percentage of small-business owners, entrepreneurs, and self-employed professionals (doctors/accountants/lawyers/etc) who can make a very good living here (as opposed to a small mountain town or somewhere out on the eastern plains) because the overall ECONOMY is fairly healthy even if there are not large corporations with thousands of jobs here. The "rest" of COS the churches tend to be smaller and denominational and led by someone boring but typically decent (as opposed to mega and non-denominational and led by a charismatic personality).

In my neighborhood near Bear-Creek Park (Southwest part of town), the houses are 50ish years old and my neighbors are mostly HIGHLY educated self-employed professionals with school-age kids, with only a small smattering of tele-commuters. Some military and retired-military but not one person who works for a huge evangelical non-profit.

It's basically a tale of two cities. One north and east with "certain" demographics and one west and south with "other" demographics. Not all that unusual for a city but it seems pretty stark in COS, for sure. I think we all get along pretty OK though.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:56 PM

691 posts, read 850,601 times
Heh, I'm one of the telecommuters who lives near Bear Creek Park. :-) I brought my job with me when I moved here from the Boston area. Of the 5 houses on my cul-de-sac, there's me, two households of retired (non-military) people, a college professor, and a couple who are both in the real estate business. No children in any of the households; the professor is single and the rest of us are too old for that sort of thing.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Heh, I'm one of the telecommuters who lives near Bear Creek Park. :-) I brought my job with me when I moved here from the Boston area. Of the 5 houses on my cul-de-sac, there's me, two households of retired (non-military) people, a college professor, and a couple who are both in the real estate business. No children in any of the households; the professor is single and the rest of us are too old for that sort of thing.
Right. Wasn't trying to suggest there are NO telecommuters in the neighborhood, just that among the several dozen neighbors who I actually KNOW, all have school-age children (which makes sense as I do as well), none telecommute and virtually all have at least one person in the couple who is a self-employed professional or small-business owner. My COS "world" looks almost nothing like the "world" of someone living in a new development North/East. Probably not unlike someone living in the Wash Park neighborhood in Denver's "world" looks almost nothing like the world of the new-build extended suburbs that ring the city to the south and east. Same city but often very different demographics, voting patters, work situations, lifestyle, yada yada yada. I suspect this concept extends throughout every larger city in the US. People are congregating around those who are like them, for better or worse. Always been that way to a degree just manifesting itself slightly differently these days, perhaps.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:23 PM

691 posts, read 850,601 times
While the west side is more diverse than other parts of town, I do have to say that COS generally is the whitest and least diverse city I've ever lived in. I came here for the climate, outdoor activities, and lower cost of living, but there are not too many other Amphibian-Americans here, or people of other colors besides green. So I can't say I'm congregating around other people like me.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:55 PM

1,010 posts, read 692,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
While the west side is more diverse than other parts of town, I do have to say that COS generally is the whitest and least diverse city I've ever lived in. I came here for the climate, outdoor activities, and lower cost of living, but there are not too many other Amphibian-Americans here, or people of other colors besides green. So I can't say I'm congregating around other people like me.
Amphibian-American? Good thing you live near the creek.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:59 PM

1,010 posts, read 692,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Gonna read some tea-leaves here. Is your neighborhood a new or newish-build developer-driven type-place, maybe in D-20, with a high-ish percentage of recent transplants, many of whom are 35-55 who brought their jobs with them from another place, many of the rest being officer-level or retired military (but still under 55) or work for one of the large evangelical non-profits. Mostly big-building mega-church options? That somewhat stereotypically describes the Northern and Northeastern quadrants of the city.
Do these mega churches pay well?

Old 01-13-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Do these mega churches pay well?
Again, I want to be very careful here, but in general yes I think successful mega-churches typically pay very well for the senior pastor and perhaps one or two others. Probably not so much for the assistant child-care coordinator for outreach, etc. Most old-line denominational pastors of small/medium churches (your neighborhood Lutheran or Methodist church with 100-300 members) have rather limited income potential for obvious reasons but I'm not sure there are any upper limits to income for the mega-church founders who have no denominational restrictions to limit their growth or income. Doesn't Joel Osteen make something like $15M/year out there in Texas or wherever he is? I could rattle off several other big name mega-church pastors and I think they can make more money than many top movie stars or athletes, so long as they stay out of trouble (that can be the hard part, but some do). And why should they not? Many are as famous and as big celebrities in their own way. Personally, I'm more of a small denominational church type-guy and our pastors tend to come and go. Many can't afford a house in Colorado Springs on small/medium church salary, if you can imagine such a thing. Life is full of compromises. It depends on what you want to accomplish on this earth. Did I say that carefully enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs