Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,825 times

Advertisements

Wanted to see if anyone has replaced their central air and furnace package recently. I've researched 2 sites on the web for 2015 pricing and found price ranges between $4500 to $5000 for Lennox/Carrier systems (2.5 ton 14 SEER with 80% 2 stage variable for 1600-2000 square foot home). Anyway, we've got 3 bids so far ranging from $8000 to $9000. Appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 03:03 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,165,344 times
I replaced the furnace in a 1300 square foot condo last year and it was over $4000. I sure hope my house furnace lasts long enough that I don't need to replace it for a while!

Old 08-02-2015, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info "beezle1"!

Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 AM

178 posts, read 173,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamixon View Post
Wanted to see if anyone has replaced their central air and furnace package recently. I've researched 2 sites on the web for 2015 pricing and found price ranges between $4500 to $5000 for Lennox/Carrier systems (2.5 ton 14 SEER with 80% 2 stage variable for 1600-2000 square foot home). Anyway, we've got 3 bids so far ranging from $8000 to $9000. Appreciate any input!
Hi Gamixon,

I'm assuming that you want to replace an old AC and Furnace split-system. In such a system, the AC condenser is outside and the furnace is inside, although they work together. A "packaged" unit is a furnace and AC together in one system, usually found on the rooftop (you used the word package, but I assume you don't have this particular setup). Most residential properties do not have packaged units. If you are replacing a split-system, the average cost for an AC and Furnace is between $6,500 and $11,000, depending on the efficiency and product. The price you got from the internet sounds like an AC or Furnace by itself, or a packaged unit, rather than both an AC condenser and gas furnace. Beezle1 mentioned replacing a furnace by itself, which would not include the AC.

I work for a local HVAC company in town that has been around for 15 years. We could likely beat the price of those other 3 bids you received (assuming it is a standard install), but we would have to take a look at the system first. I will send you a private message if you are interested.

Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 08-03-2015 at 12:25 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Yes it's a split system and quotes appear to be on the high side based on my limited research. Of course, I'm only as smart as what I dig up on the internet. Anyway, thanks for the information and we're not looking for any additional quotes - just want to see what people are actually paying.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:56 PM

178 posts, read 173,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamixon View Post
Yes it's a split system and quotes appear to be on the high side based on my limited research. Of course, I'm only as smart as what I dig up on the internet. Anyway, thanks for the information and we're not looking for any additional quotes - just want to see what people are actually paying.
Well, the prices you found on the internet are most definitely not for an AC and Furnace in a split system. $8,000 - $9,000 is not unreasonable. For example, here is a quick search on google for the national average price for a furnace:
2015 New Furnace Installation Cost | Furnace Replacement & Prices

And here is the national average cost of an A/C:
Central Air Conditioner Costs | Cost to Install New AC Unit

If you take the average cost of both systems, it comes out to be between $6,000 and $12,679. I'm not sure where you got $4,500 - $5,000 number, unless you are only factoring in the equipment cost by itself. There is also labor, permits, taxes, and of course the company has overhead to pay (office rent, utility bills, employees, etc.). Just make sure the company you choose has good installers. I see so many bad installs in this line of work, and a majority of all complaints you read on the internet about furnaces and Air Conditioners are related to the install, rather than the equipment:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ying-guide.htm

Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 08-03-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Hunter View Post
Well, the prices you found on the internet are most definitely not for an AC and Furnace in a split system. $8,000 - $9,000 is not unreasonable. For example, here is a quick search on google for the national average price for a furnace:
2015 New Furnace Installation Cost | Furnace Replacement & Prices

And here is the national average cost of an A/C:
Central Air Conditioner Costs | Cost to Install New AC Unit

If you take the average cost of both systems, it comes out to be between $6,000 and $12,679. I'm not sure where you got $4,500 - $5,000 number, unless you are only factoring in the equipment cost by itself. There is also labor, permits, taxes, and of course the company has overhead to pay (office rent, utility bills, employees, etc.). Just make sure the company you choose has good installers. I see so many bad installs in this line of work, and a majority of all complaints you read on the internet about furnaces and Air Conditioners are related to the install, rather than the equipment:
Best Central Air Conditioning Buying Guide
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: