Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:47 AM

304 posts, read 344,129 times

Advertisements

It looks as if pieces are falling into place for the team to move. There is a chance that Springs could get a Rookie League Single A team that plays 37 home games a season. But the fact that attendance, even with the stadium where it is, is near the bottom of the PCL plays into the owners hands for wanting to look into relocation.

Again, I'm against big money going into private stadiums. But, when cities lose amenities it makes people and business take a look before relocating there. Low taxes are great, but when the roads are bad, crime is high, police and fire response is slow, and most of the economy is in one area, it makes folks take a hard look.

Report: Sky Sox owners set to discuss plans to move team to San Antonio | Colorado Springs Gazette, News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:50 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I don't know that we're losing anything. Probably just trading one team for another. Few people care how many "A"s the team is....

Old 04-01-2016, 09:26 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
Interesting thought- my husband said this may benefit the "City of Champions" idea as not many triple A teams will want to come and play at an old stadium on the outskirts of the city, but may be willing to come to a new stadium in the center of a city. Don't know if I agree, but it was an interesting thought. Makes my conspiracy theory brain start to explode

Old 04-01-2016, 11:49 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I don't know that we're losing anything. Probably just trading one team for another. Few people care how many "A"s the team is....
Agreed. I live on the southwest side of town and it takes the better part of 45 minutes to drive to see a minor league game at Sky Sox Stadium vs. 30 minutes or so more to drive to see the "real deal" at Coors Field (though most seasons I wonder if the Rockies ownership are really trying very hard).

The guy bashing Colorado Springs that "even fewer people will be coming here" confuses me a bit. The decade over decade population growth in Colorado Springs is borderline exponential. Despite the growth it remains an amazing high-quality-of-life place to raise a family (with or without a minor league baseball team), certainly compared to Denver which has been a congested nightmare of hellish traffic since I lived there through the late '90's, and seems to be getting worse every time I'm up there. Adding endlessly more people to basically the same already-congested road infrastructure, as is happening in Denver and to a lesser extent COS, is not imho a recipe for improving quality-of-life, but that's just me.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:43 PM

670 posts, read 1,053,107 times
I never went to a Sky Sox game and have only been to a few Rockies games. I am not really a baseball fan, although I do love movies about baseball, like The Natural. I feel for the people that enjoy going to their games, I remember I was bummed when we lost our Gold Kings hockey team, but at least we still have CC for local hockey.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 AM

89 posts, read 143,523 times
What does C4C stand for? Thanks.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
City for Champions project that is slated to the south-west downtown area.

http://www.cityforchampions.com/

Old 04-07-2016, 01:51 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Looks like Sky Sox will be gone by 2019, off to San Antonio:
Sky Sox To Move To San Antonio By 2019

Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Bummer.

Hey, since we'll have a nice stadium with nothing to put in it, maybe we can pave the infield and have oval track racing return to Cos. after an absence of 25 years. Short track racing, figure 8, and demo derbies are much more fun to watch than baseball!

Old 04-07-2016, 03:59 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Bummer.

Hey, since we'll have a nice stadium with nothing to put in it, maybe we can pave the infield and have oval track racing return to Cos. after an absence of 25 years. Short track racing, figure 8, and demo derbies are much more fun to watch than baseball!
Calling Security Service Field nice is like calling the Oakland Colesium a pro-facility. While technically true no one would actually use those terms.

Here's the rub from that article:

"Today I'm so excited to announce that the Elmore Group has committed to bring a Triple-A franchise to San Antonio to play in a new downtown stadium for the 2019 season," San Antonio Mayor Ivy Taylor said at a Thursday morning city council meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs