Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:16 PM

274 posts, read 336,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Others have given good advice (Hwy 83, etc) but in general Denver is unfortunately similar to other large metropolis car-oriented cities of several million - the road infrastructure never quite seems to keep up with the influx of population from decade to decade. I thought traffic was generally awful when I lived in Denver from 1996-2000 but at this point I'll just try to avoid travelling through Denver altogether. It's just a traffic jam waiting to happen, anytime, anyplace. With more people you get rising real-estate prices (which is a good/bad thing), lot's of "vibrant" downtown stuff, but also unbearably awful traffic, on the interstates, on the side streets, everywhere. It just is what it is. It's why I live in the quiet foothills of Colorado Springs where I enjoy my daily 12-15 minute commute downtown. Denver's a great city and all but the traffic is (shudder) horrendous. I have better things to do with my life than sit in traffic everywhere I try to go (work/mountains/store/in-laws/anything). Sorry to rant here, but it's a fact of life in Colorado that goes under-observed, that Denver traffic is something to be avoided if at all possible.
One of the reasons why I left NY. If you think Denver is bad, try merging onto Long Island Expressway at 4PM. One time it took me 3 hours to go 15 miles just to drop off a suitcase for repair. I had them ship it back to me rather than go through that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 03:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
If you're planning to hit up Castlewood any time within the next couple weeks be prepared for icy conditions should you decide to leave the Canyon View Nature Trail above the canyon rim. Having a pair of microspikes handy could prevent you from taking a digger on the Inner Canyon, Lake Gulch, Rimrock, or Creek Bottom trails.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:54 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you're planning to hit up Castlewood any time within the next couple weeks be prepared for icy conditions should you decide to leave the Canyon View Nature Trail above the canyon rim. Having a pair of microspikes handy could prevent you from taking a digger on the Inner Canyon, Lake Gulch, Rimrock, or Creek Bottom trails.
I was going to mention that, too - I love Castlewood Canyon in spring especially. Right now it is likely to be an icy decent down into the canyon depending on your approach so you will feel a lot better with some spikes.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 PM

812 posts, read 1,462,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSpringsBound View Post
One of the reasons why I left NY. If you think Denver is bad, try merging onto Long Island Expressway at 4PM. One time it took me 3 hours to go 15 miles just to drop off a suitcase for repair. I had them ship it back to me rather than go through that again.
That's funny. But you know there's some dude in Beijing who's gonna find this thread and be like "What! It only took you three hours to go 15 miles!?!? You call that traffic? I was in the MOATJ (Mother of all Traffic Jams) back in 2009. We sat in our cars three weeks and ate whatever the street vendors bring us! You wimpy. I dream of 15 miles in three hours. You should enjoy that speed spoiled New York driver with your easy commutes!"

So, uh, yeah, Denver's not Beijing or the maybe even the Long Island Expressway but when somebody asks on city-data when the "best" time to visit Denver to avoid traffic my first thought is "...sometime between never and 3:30AM."

Old 01-24-2016, 09:18 AM

5,314 posts, read 5,034,411 times
I've had luck after 8-9pm lol. It's usually clear and I can travel between the two in about an hour. Like others said, 83 is the best bet if you are on the east side of the Springs. Even if it's not faster, it's more beautiful.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 PM

I just took a trip up to Canyonwood and Cherry Creek on Route 83 this weekend. Aside from a few lights, that was some pretty smooth and scenic driving. I'll definitely be driving that route more often.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
I just took a trip up to Canyonwood and Cherry Creek on Route 83 this weekend. Aside from a few lights, that was some pretty smooth and scenic driving. I'll definitely be driving that route more often.
Did you mean to say Castlewood?

Hwy 83 is a nice drive, but 2-lane undivided roads with oncoming traffic at 55MPH+ present more danger than I care to chance.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Right Castlewood, the name of the park got gelled into one word for me, LOL. I've driven on two lane roads all over the country so I'm used to them, and have a turbo engine that helps a lot here when I need to pass a slow poke.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:37 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Right Castlewood, the name of the park got gelled into one word for me, LOL. I've driven on two lane roads all over the country so I'm used to them, and have a turbo engine that helps a lot here when I need to pass a slow poke.
Passing on those 2 lane roads is part of what worries me so much and why Rte 83 is just my backup to when I-25 is closed.

Back east we had U.S.1 running from ME to FL. Mostly a 4-lane highway with just a yellow line as a divider. The MD State Troopers referred to the stretch of U.S.1 between Baltimore and DC as "blood alley" for all the gory head-on collisions on that undivided highway back in the day before seat belts and airbags. In Driver Ed classes the cliche back then was "death rides the yellow line."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Passing on those 2 lane roads is part of what worries me so much and why Rte 83 is just my backup to when I-25 is closed.

Back east we had U.S.1 running from ME to FL. Mostly a 4-lane highway with just a yellow line as a divider. The MD State Troopers referred to the stretch of U.S.1 between Baltimore and DC as "blood alley" for all the gory head-on collisions on that undivided highway back in the day before seat belts and airbags. In Driver Ed classes the cliche back then was "death rides the yellow line."
The worst are those undivided lanes on roads with switchbacks and no guard rails, like the Million Dollar highway. I don't care if I get ticketed, I've often hugged the cliff in the wrong lane just to stay as far away from the ledge as possible. NOPE. I can't believe I see people driving RVs on these roads too. I don't know how they do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs