Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 07:08 AM

162 posts, read 543,607 times

Advertisements

I don't know of many restaurants here that are quintessentially Colorado Springs. That's not to say we don't have good restaurants though. If you're looking for higher quality, stick with the downtown area. You'll find everything from sushi to Italian to American food that won't disappoint. We don't even have any really old restaurants. The oldest in town is Luigi's Pizza (1958).

If you want a unique dining experience and like wild game, the craftwood inn is pretty good. My personal favorites are BJs (great beer, atmosphere, menu, price) and Tucanos (chain restaurant but I like love the garlic Parmesan sirloin).

Hope whatever you find, you enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Adam's Mountain Cafe is unique to Colorado Springs I think. I used to go there often, but have not been since they moved to the new location.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Thanks for all the additional information (especially THCP). That's good to know that Pepper Tree is "coat and tie" (probably a great place, but a little too formal for us on this trip). Yeah, dives are okay too. If they prepare most of the food at their place, that's great. Just trying to stay away from big-time chain restaurants that rely on lots of prepared/processed stuff made months ago. And venturing further out of the zone - into the downtown area - sounds like a great idea too.

Thanks again for the help. I'm proud of this forum/website. It's additive too

Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
My wife and I are visiting Colorado Springs from the northern part of the state, and would like to get some ideas on good restaurants. The region would be SW(?) part of town, basically west and south of I-25, and south of [US?]24.

- American/steakhouse
- Italian
- Pizza (maybe deep-dish, Chicago-style)
- Mexican
- Chinese

Good quality food, not necessarily fancy or expensive, although that's okay. If there are better areas where food/restaurants are located, please point that out. We don't know much about the town (yet)
You might want to check this thread out:

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...-col-spgs.html

Old 02-02-2016, 12:16 PM

670 posts, read 1,053,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
If you want a unique dining experience and like wild game, the craftwood inn is pretty good.

Hope whatever you find, you enjoy it.
The Craftwood Inn is unfortunately gone which is too bad because they were quite good and I liked the atmosphere.

For something different you could try The Rabbit Hole downtown it's a great underground restaurant and bar with unique food offerings. Not open for lunch.

Navajo Hogan's on North Nevada is an interesting place, it is a restored roadhouse from the time when I-25 did not exist where it is now and the highway ran up Nevada through town. They have good brick oven pizza, broasted chicken, burgers etc. The architecture of the building is really cool. I would recommend lunch over dinner because they have live music in the evenings and it gets really busy and quite loud.

I also really like the Crystal Park Cantina just outside of Manitou up Crystal Park Rd. It's more of a fusion,creative Mexican restaurant not your traditional but the food is really good as are the margaritas.

rabbit hole

johnnys navajo hogan - colorado springs restaurant and bar - Johnny's Navajo Hogan - Colorado Springs, CO - All American Bar and Grill

Crystal Park Cantina - Home

And an image of the inside of Navajo Hogan

Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM

Also Jack Quinns downtown. It's an Irish Pub, they imported they interior from Ireland. Food is some Irish dishes (boxties, corn beef, shepherds pie etc) and also burgers, sandwiches, fish and chips. When we go we try to get one of the booths, they are like your own little private room. Avoid it on Tuesday nights, they have a running club that meets there and it gets packed.

Jack Quinn's - Colorado Springs, Colorado

Old 02-02-2016, 02:18 PM

I just remembered another tasty local place, for more traditional Mexican fare there is a little hole in the wall called La Doña. It's in a little strip mall off of Circle Drive and is does not look like much from the outside but inside is clean and cheery. The homemade beans are so good, they have a salsa bar with a nice selection of homemade salsas and I LOVE their carne asada.

They don't have a website but you can find some info and directions here:

La Dona - Mexican - 908 N Circle Dr - Colorado Springs, CO - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Ok, I am officially hungry now!

Old 02-02-2016, 04:19 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
My favorite places are all local, no chains, listed in roughly current order of preference:

Adam's Mountain Cafe (the huevos rancheros is just really really good);
Carlos Miguels;
Thai Satay (not much for ambiance but the food is insanely good);
El Taco Rey and/or Salsa Latina;
Wild Goose;
Poor Richards;
Lau'aus (Hawaiian tacos);
Cy's Burgers (hasn't changed since 1950's and still hanging in there);
Fargo's Pizza isn't the most delicious but it's still a fun, classic place
Bristol Brewery is a fun place to eat/hang out and now has a menu.

Dozens of other quality local options but those tend to be my/our mainstays. Have fun!

Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Yes I'd say that's a good list for quintessentially Colorado Springs. I haven't been to the Wild Goose - is that up next to Pasta Rasta? What do they serve? I love Fargo's - so fun! Lau'aus is hard to find but great food. And what's not to like about Poor Richards? Cy's is great too.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 PM

I am a fan of Lau'aus and I like the pizza at Poor Richards. We shop for my nieces at the toy store next door, it's a fun place. Poor Richards is so polished now, such a far cry from the used bookstore/slightly dingy coffeeshop it was originally; Poor Richards Feed and Read. I went to high school downtown at Palmer and I spent my share of afternoons in the smoky backroom hanging out with a cheap cup of coffee and being "cool", or so I thought. They had these amazing cream cheese brownies back then too, so rich they would give you the sweats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs