Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 01:41 PM

17 posts, read 45,346 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

We're considering moving to Fountain, Security, or Widefield from Denver. But I'm wondering about noise. The map shows nearby railroad tracks and the Colorado Springs Airport. Are these something you "just have to get used to," or does the noise maybe travel in a different direction from the residential areas? Are some areas much quieter than others? Any information is appreciated - Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 10,057 times
To be honest, I never really thought of it as *noisy*. Annoying when you catch the train coming out of certain neighborhoods... but not noisy - and we were very close to the train at one point in a rental. Fountain & Security Widefield are my favorite areas out there. Friendly, low crime .. overall I was really happy in both areas. Good luck & I hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM

Thank you for the quick reply!

I don't mind an occasional train or jet, but I've stayed in motels across the street from train tracks and heard loud whistles literally every five minutes through the night. And I grew up near a Naval air station. Our whole house would shake several times every day when the jets flew directly overhead. So that's my frame of reference.

But from your reply, it looks like we won't have to be concerned with that kind of noise. And I'm glad to hear it's a friendly area. I have a background with the military, so we should fit in pretty well.

Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2016, 06:02 PM

6,802 posts, read 10,437,008 times
I rarely hear the train whistle anymore - there is a rule in effect that they don't need to blow it crossing the intersections in the Fountain/Security/Widefield area. However, I really enjoyed hearing it as a kid - it was a very pretty sound from a distance. I live quite close to the tracks now - less than 1/4 mile and I can hear the train if I listen for it but most of the time it is not noticeable at all. I suspect if you're new to the area you will notice it more to start out.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:10 AM

Thank you Otowi -

I like to hear a train whistle from a distance, too, but it's good to know the trains don't have to use their whistles in that area. The main noise "cutoff" for my home would be if I could have an uninterrupted conversation in my yard, or not have the whistles wake me up at night.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs