Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 04:47 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,825,727 times

Advertisements

Oh well, they don't need high-paying jobs.

Honeywell braces for 200 job cuts in spite of pending federal contract

Honeywell plans layoffs | The Pueblo Chieftain

I have to admit the lack of energy and the good enough mentality is interesting to say the least. I have lived in many cities and I have never seen a city with such a cavalier, good enough mentality when it comes to it's cities economy.

This cities only saving grace is the federal government and the affluent retirees who locate the northern side of Colorado Springs.

I really think the next downturn will expose the extent of how weak this cities economy is compared to others of it's size.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-16-2016 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 11:29 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,912,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Oh well, they don't need high-paying jobs.

Honeywell braces for 200 job cuts in spite of pending federal contract

Honeywell plans layoffs | The Pueblo Chieftain

I have to admit the lack of energy and the good enough mentality is interesting to say the least. I have lived in many cities and I have never seen a city with such a cavalier, good enough mentality when it comes to it's cities economy.

This cities only saving grace is the federal government and the affluent retirees who locate the northern side of Colorado Springs.

I really think the next downturn will expose the extent of how weak this cities economy is compared to others of it's size.
I agree there is problem with diversification of the economy in this city. What needs to happen is a push for more high paying tech jobs.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:05 PM

Colorado Springs is not interested in high-tech jobs.

The city gained 2,500 jobs in 6 months but 2,600 new jobs were added in hotel and restaurants.

The leaders of this city have no interest in anything else. They like all that job growth expansion based on hotel and restaurants because of the tax increase to fill potholes.

I have to I said good things about the roads here before but that was before I saw the condition of the sidestreets.

This city has very little tax base to keep up with their sprawling, massive 200 square mile infrastructure.

The lions share of the private-sector, non-government subsidized, non-hospitality job growth is in Denver, Fort Collins and Boulder.

Even Pueblo has gained more jobs per-capita since 2006 then this economically challenged city.

Colorado Springs has an "oh well" mentality. I admire them for being dismissive but then again ignorance is bliss.

They have lost a tremendous amount of good jobs since 2000 and they could care less because the people on city council and mayor have their's and really could care less about the economy.

Ronald Reagan should have talked about Colorado Springs instead of the mother in Chicago when he was talking about welfare queens.

This city is basically America's welfare queen as private-industry is very turned off by this city.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:29 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,331,659 times
So when are you moving to Des Moines?

Old 06-19-2016, 12:46 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,632,189 times
I like the though. Maybe not Denver big, but I would like CO to have another 1M+ metro

Old 06-23-2016, 12:28 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,861,047 times
My biggest fear is that we become Colorado's "Inland Empire". Like the folks moving out of the LA basin to buy affordable homes in San Bernardino, then commuting to work.

It's been happening in the Tri-Lakes area for the last few years. People who work in Denver buy beautiful, large homes for half the price up there. Then drive to the Tech Center or telecommute.

Unless we can diversify our economy, that becomes a real possibility.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
My biggest fear is that we become Colorado's "Inland Empire". Like the folks moving out of the LA basin to buy affordable homes in San Bernardino, then commuting to work.

It's been happening in the Tri-Lakes area for the last few years. People who work in Denver buy //www.city-data.com/forum/editp...21487beautiful, large homes for half the price up there. Then drive to the Tech Center or telecommute.

Unless we can diversify our economy, that becomes a real possibility.
I go to Denver 3 to 5 times a week and I see it everyday.

I don't see many people further then Monument as it is stop and go all the way from Denver to Monument in the afternoon.

I actually like the setup of Monument. It is affordable per square foot, clean, lots of retail and it is 30 minutes or less to major Denver employers.

The city is right on Interstate 25 and people can get to Denver amenities in 30 minutes and pay half the price or less per square foot.

Monument I think is a perfect alternative for commuters. It is much, much cheaper per square foot then Castle Rock and only about 20 minutes more commuting if it timed right.

Colorado Springs should not fear being a small version of the Inland Empire. It would be a step up to be like them with all those logistics jobs they have.

It would be a huge step up to attract massive amounts of logistics jobs. But then again John Suthers and the Colorado Springs Regional Alliance would never have that.

I looked at the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The Inland Empire has 120,000 jobs since 2006. Metro Colorado Springs has gained 19,000 jobs in that time frame.

God forbid, Colorado Springs have the job growth of the Inland Empire.

The Inland Empire gains lots and lots of middle-wage logistics jobs.

Colorado Springs : Mountain?Plains Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Riverside : Western Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I do find it very interesting though how the demographics will change in the coming years.

Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins have surging home prices because of all the new jobs and people frothing at the mouth to move to them.

Colorado Springs and Greeley lag way behind though when it comes to housing prices.

Unlike Colorado Springs, Greeley will have another economic surge when the commodity and oil prices increase.

Weld County where Greeley is located is also a very, very pro-business county compared to El Paso County.

San Bernadino County is the exact same as it far more affordable then Los Angeles, Orange or San Diego County.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-23-2016 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I go to Denver 3 to 5 times a week and I see it everyday.

I don't see many people further then Monument as it is stop and go all the way from Denver to Monument in the afternoon.

I actually like the setup of Monument. It is affordable per square foot, clean, lots of retail and it is 30 minutes or less to major Denver employers.

The city is right on Interstate 25 and people can get to Denver amenities in 30 minutes and pay half the price or less per square foot.

Monument I think is a perfect alternative for commuters. It is much, much cheaper per square foot then Castle Rock and only about 20 minutes more commuting if it timed right.

Colorado Springs should not fear being a small version of the Inland Empire. It would be a step up to be like them with all those logistics jobs they have.

It would be a huge step up to attract massive amounts of logistics jobs. But then again John Suthers and the Colorado Springs Regional Alliance would never have that.

I looked at the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The Inland Empire has 120,000 jobs since 2006. Metro Colorado Springs has gained 19,000 jobs in that time frame.

God forbid, Colorado Springs have the job growth of the Inland Empire.

The Inland Empire gains lots and lots of middle-wage logistics jobs.

Colorado Springs : Mountain?Plains Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Riverside : Western Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I do find it very interesting though how the demographics will change in the coming years.

Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins have surging home prices because of all the new jobs and people frothing at the mouth to move to them.

Colorado Springs and Greeley lag way behind though when it comes to housing prices.

Unlike Colorado Springs, Greeley will have another economic surge when the commodity and oil prices increase.

Weld County where Greeley is located is also a very, very pro-business county compared to El Paso County.

San Bernadino County is the exact same as it far more affordable then Los Angeles, Orange or San Diego County.
Excellent points. Great response.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:18 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,884,015 times
I think that Colorado having two major metropolitan areas is a good thing. I got a completely different vibe from Colorado Springs than the vibe I got in Denver. Meaning these cities, when Colorado Springs gets to a big enough size, are meant to contrast each other in character, vibe, standard of living, offerings, and culture.

I think one area where Colorado Springs could use more investment and development is Downtown. It already is on a good trajectory and has solid bones, it just needs to infill now even more.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I think that Colorado having two major metropolitan areas is a good thing. I got a completely different vibe from Colorado Springs than the vibe I got in Denver. Meaning these cities, when Colorado Springs gets to a big enough size, are meant to contrast each other in character, vibe, standard of living, offerings, and culture.

I think one area where Colorado Springs could use more investment and development is Downtown. It already is on a good trajectory and has solid bones, it just needs to infill now even more.
There is a mover and shaker in town, Perry Sanders. He has purchased, just recently, The Antlers Hotel, The Famous Steak House, South Side Johnny's and various other properties along the Tejon/Nevada strip. He also owns the Mining Exchange. He has plans for a 30+ story mixed use building with construction to begin before the year ends. He is big on downtown and is a man who gets things done. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few years.

CSBJ: http://www.csbj.com/tag/perry-sanders/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs