Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times

Advertisements

We still benefit from Spencer Penrose today - not just in what he did for us back when he was alive, but from all the work of the El Pomar Foundation which comes from his estate --- https://www.elpomar.org/About-Us/our-historyver2/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 05:32 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Folks from Denver ripping on CO Springs for its sprawl and lack of infill is quite a little bit of pot and kettle. Denver sprawled for decades before CO Springs barely began to sprawl. Denver is STILL sprawling. Seems to me a city with developable space around it, wherever it is in the great US of A, will sprawl if it is growing in population, until the drive time reaches a tipping point and enough people decide to go back to the original central areas and gentrify.
Why does it sprawl? Because it can.

My kids live in San Francisco. It's land locked. There is an obstacle to adding just about any housing development. NIMBY. So the good thing about that is that older properties get refurbished.

In Colorado Springs, as people go through their life, if they can afford it, they move to the newer areas.

For example, I have a friend who at age 26 had a new home built near Academy and Palmer Park road. In about 1973, that was a new neighborhood. But he moved north by the late-90s because his old neighborhood had begun to deteriorate. Many of the neighboring properties had become run down and had been turned into rentals. The streets had begun to deteriorate, the retailers left empty stores, and the crime rate increased. He no longer felt safe. So he moved.

It was possible for him to buy a new house in a new neighborhood with new streets and new, fresh retailers nearby. That's how it works for those with enough money.

To stop sprawl, just look at Boulder. They have strict zoning and a buffer around the city to restrict development. I doubt that the developer owned planning department in Colorado Springs would go for that.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,887,037 times
As a native Denverite, I would avoid moving back at all cost. I do agree with those who have commented that our economy, or lack there of, is what will keep us from becoming a major metro in my lifetime. I believe our best opportunity for growth is already occurring. In some respects we are becoming Colorado's "Inland Empire".

As Denver continues its rapid growth, home ownership is out of reach for the average earner. I know more and more people who are now working there and living here. Folks willing to make the commute so they can afford to buy a home for less than you can rent one up there. I see one of our alternatives as becoming similar to the Riverside/San Bernadino metro than a rival to Denver. If we could develop heavy rail service from here to DT Denver, we'd most likely see an even greater influx of Denver workers becoming Springs residents.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times
I hope the reference to San Bernadino was very general because that place is a bit of a pit.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I hope the reference to San Bernadino was very general because that place is a bit of a pit.
Yes, I know, have property there. We could end up like Pueblo.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:55 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
As a native Denverite, I would avoid moving back at all cost. I do agree with those who have commented that our economy, or lack there of, is what will keep us from becoming a major metro in my lifetime. I believe our best opportunity for growth is already occurring. In some respects we are becoming Colorado's "Inland Empire".

As Denver continues its rapid growth, home ownership is out of reach for the average earner. I know more and more people who are now working there and living here. Folks willing to make the commute so they can afford to buy a home for less than you can rent one up there. I see one of our alternatives as becoming similar to the Riverside/San Bernadino metro than a rival to Denver. If we could develop heavy rail service from here to DT Denver, we'd most likely see an even greater influx of Denver workers becoming Springs residents.

And that is exactly why I25 is a mess now.

No way in he** would I ever want to commute to Denver on that stretch, especially in winter.

Some people must be pretty desperate!

Last edited by LHS79; 12-15-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
And that is exactly why I25 is a mess now.

No way in he** would I ever want to commute to Denver on that stretch, especially in winter.

Some people must be pretty desperate!
Completely in agreement. If we had commuter rail service it may be different. However, my ex, son-in-law, nephew and brother all live here and commute there. Granted, they live in the Gleneagle/Black Forest areas, but not something I'd want to do. But realtors, my wife being one, are selling homes to folks employed in Denver. A $400k house here will run you up to $800+ up there, depending on location.

I guess some can justify the time/ROI. Not me.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Completely in agreement. If we had commuter rail service it may be different. However, my ex, son-in-law, nephew and brother all live here and commute there. Granted, they live in the Gleneagle/Black Forest areas, but not something I'd want to do. But realtors, my wife being one, are selling homes to folks employed in Denver. A $400k house here will run you up to $800+ up there, depending on location.

I guess some can justify the time/ROI. Not me.
I'd happily take a pay cut than make that kind of commute. For me 20 minutes is the max I will drive. A commuter rail system would be awesome we could be innovative and make it high speed like in China or Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs