Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:38 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,429,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
We really need to stop all the urban sprawl in the springs. High density apartments should be built to deal with the influx of new residents. This will also help control the ever rising rent prices.
We do need more apartment options all over the city, particularly in the under $1200 price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 06:55 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,913,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
We do need more apartment options all over the city, particularly in the under $1200 price range.
I agree affordable would be ideal many cities lack good middle class apartments.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,037,498 times
Quote:
We really need to stop all the urban sprawl in the springs. High density apartments should be built to deal with the influx of new residents. This will also help control the ever rising rent prices.
Then your just going to strain the infrastructure.

However, I think more commercial development along the edges and residential mid rise infill would be nice.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Then your just going to strain the infrastructure.

However, I think more commercial development along the edges and residential mid rise infill would be nice.
Actually with more taxpayers in a smaller space infrastructure costs would more than be covered. Low density development that stretches on to the infinite prairie is actually much harder to maintain over the long term.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,318,938 times
Quote:
Actually with more taxpayers in a smaller space infrastructure costs would more than be covered. Low density development that stretches on to the infinite prairie is actually much harder to maintain over the long term.
I'm curious. Is the ultimate result of your ideology everyone living in big city high rise apartments, and no small towns anywhere in the country (or world)? Would urban sprawl be made illegal?

Old 08-03-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I'm curious. Is the ultimate result of your ideology everyone living in big city high rise apartments, and no small towns anywhere in the country (or world)? Would urban sprawl be made illegal?
Well ideally people would live in cities that cover less square feet. This would allow for large green spaces to be developed. From an environmental perspective the american suburban model is the most inefficient energy wise and environmentally destructive. Granted I doubt my ideal world will come to pass however I believe the pendulum has swung to far for urban sprawl with low density development. Balance must be restored.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:12 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,318,938 times
Quote:
Well ideally people would live in cities that cover less square feet. This would allow for large green spaces to be developed. From an environmental perspective the american suburban model is the most inefficient energy wise and environmentally destructive.
But it is one of the most livable.

My problem is that I could never be happy in such an environment. I doubt I could even reach contentedness. I have not lived in a cramped environment like that in my entire life. Currently I live in one of the most rural Colorado communities there is. What you described, to me, would be a low quality of life.

I also have hobbies that are incompatible with such an arrangement, as a lot of people do. Land is required.

If that is where the world is headed, time will have to be given for old fogies like me to die off. A "grandfather clause", if you will.

However, I recommend against that. The problem isn't about space or environmental destruction, it is about over population. That the the direction I would work on the problem from.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
But it is one of the most livable.

My problem is that I could never be happy in such an environment. I doubt I could even reach contentedness. I have not lived in a cramped environment like that in my entire life. Currently I live in one of the most rural Colorado communities there is. What you described, to me, would be a low quality of life.

I also have hobbies that are incompatible with such an arrangement, as a lot of people do. Land is required.

If that is where the world is headed, time will have to be given for old fogies like me to die off. A "grandfather clause", if you will.

However, I recommend against that. The problem isn't about space or environmental destruction, it is about over population. That the the direction I would work on the problem from.
You are right on that my scenario is one for if the population keeps growing. IF the government took measures to curtail breeding I think we would have a much higher standard of living.

Last edited by BornintheSprings; 08-03-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 05:19 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,861,519 times
The Tiny House phenom is rapidly taking hold, almost attaining cult status. Currently the biggest issue is zoning. Some locales such as Walsenburg and Salida are leading the way, zoning areas for these units. It's gathering momentum nationwide. States such as CO and OR are ahead of the curve.

The Tiny House Jamboree grew so large that in one year it had to move from the Mining Museum to the Air Force Academy grounds. The show went from being free last year with approximately 5,000 attendees to $8/day per person this year with over 30,000 people attending.

Reducing the footprint of the average American home from 2300 sf to 400 sf will have an impact.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,826,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
The Tiny House phenom is rapidly taking hold, almost attaining cult status. Currently the biggest issue is zoning. Some locales such as Walsenburg and Salida are leading the way, zoning areas for these units. It's gathering momentum nationwide. States such as CO and OR are ahead of the curve.

The Tiny House Jamboree grew so large that in one year it had to move from the Mining Museum to the Air Force Academy grounds. The show went from being free last year with approximately 5,000 attendees to $8/day per person this year with over 30,000 people attending.

Reducing the footprint of the average American home from 2300 sf to 400 sf will have an impact.
Colorado Springs is the last city that I could envision jumping the tiny house bandwagon. Houses in Colorado Springs tend to be very large.

I was raised in a house that was built around 1960 and it was about 2,200 square feet and most of the houses in the neighborhood were 2,000-4,000 square feet and this is at a time when homes in the 1960s were much smaller on average.

Colorado Springs has always been a big houses and big lots.

Most houses in Northern Colorado Springs are between 3,000 and 4,000 square feet. Utah County, Utah and Colorado Springs are known for huge houses and low prices per square foot.

Colorado Springs is about the national average on home prices. But the homes are so huge compared to most cities other then a few neighborhoods. The cost per square foot is very low in Colorado Springs because of the size of the houses and the home prices being about the same as the national average.

I would love to live in a tiny house being a single person who has no intention of getting married or having children. But when I researched it, it just didn't seem appealing at all.

It seems as though that they have to be paid for with cash and can't be financed. Most of them seem to run between 30,000 to 50,000 dollars for 200-300 square feet.

Also lot rent in park is not cheap. From my research it seems that the cheapest lot rents are around 500 dollars a month.

If one buys land in a rural area they have to connect to city utilities (water, sewer, electric) which are usually at a huge premium to connect and also have higher rates.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 08-09-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs