Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 12:11 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times

Advertisements

Growing up, my family and I would visit various relatives in Colorado Springs who lived in cute little stucco houses. Those memories stuck in my head all these years and now that I am moving there, I am determined to find one of my own. I believe they were located in what would now be the 80903, 05, 07, 09 areas. Any advice is appreciated on what neighborhoods I should look in or avoid to find my stucco house? And yes, I have spoken to a few realtors who advised me not to bother until I have my house here sold and apparently aren't too interested in helping until that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 12:59 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Cute little stucco houses...you are most likely on track for finding those in the listed zip codes. I'm imagining these to be the post WW2 building boom areas that contain these-most often found in Bonforte, Southgate, western Cragmoor, Audobon, and Knob Hill areas.

Of those, Bonforte will have the highest prices in the most desirable area. Audobon may be next. Cragmoor and Southgate can be mixed and, IMO, the jury is still out on how up and coming these areas are. Cragmoor may see a boost due to its proximity to UCCS and Southgate is near the revitalization program slatted for south Nevada area, but neither are making big leaps in improvements at the moment. Knob Hill is close to the USOTC and the Citadel, but would be at the bottom of my list, however, may have the best pricing.

Not surprised at the response realtors are giving you. Any house in reasonable condition with a reasonable price is only on the market for a few days, if that. You are going to have to be in a position of pulling the trigger almost immediately when you find what you want. As such, I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with each of the above areas, its pros and cons to your wish lists, any lingering issues they may have, crime stats, so on and so forth so you know how to prioritize listings when they come up.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
My grandparents and dad grew up in 80903 and 80909.

I do know the little, stucco homes tend to be in 80903. They are mainly 2 or 3 bedroom and 1 bathroom, stucco homes that are about a century old.

The stucco homes seem to from Pikes Peak to Fountain and from Wahsatch to Hancock.

The homes in that area have gone up in the value from the 1980s and 1990s.

Oddly, those little homes in 80903 are nearly as expensive as large, 1960s era homes in 80909.

It is odd because the area is as bad it has ever been but the prices are gone way up.

80909 has larger stucco homes on the west end of the zip code but the east side of the zip-code is mainly large, vinyl sided homes form the 1960s.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:43 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
80911 Security has several

Old 07-11-2016, 06:06 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Hi! I live in a little stucco house; the same one my husband grew up in that his father bought in 1959!

We live in 80909, more specifically; the Audubon Neighborhood.

There are ALOT of similar houses in this neighborhood.

My husband attended Audubon Elementary, Horace Mann JHS & Wasson HS; if that helps!

Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
I have a newer stucco home. In fact, my last 3 homes were stucco. I love it.

Where I live in Mountain Shadows, after Waldo Canyon, MOST homeowners rebuilt with stucco. I has increase the appeal of the neighborhood in my opinion.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:13 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
And yes, I have spoken to a few realtors who advised me not to bother until I have my house here sold and apparently aren't too interested in helping until that happens.
That's odd - people get realtors and look at houses to buy before they've sold their current house all the time. Even if you need to sell it before you can buy another house, there is always the option to make an offer contingent on selling your house. It can make things more difficult - the owner can reject your offer based on the contingency, but not always. Granted, if your house isn't even on the market yet, probably no one would accept a contingency for that because it will take to long to sell your house.

Still, at the very least, a good realtor should be eager to establish you as a client - even if you're not ready to buy this second, if they are smart, they'll know you will be buying in the near future and will need a realtor. And when that time comes, are you really going to go with someone who initially blew you off?

Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
And when that time comes, are you really going to go with someone who initially blew you off?
Nope.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Growing up, my family and I would visit various relatives in Colorado Springs who lived in cute little stucco houses. Those memories stuck in my head all these years and now that I am moving there, I am determined to find one of my own. I believe they were located in what would now be the 80903, 05, 07, 09 areas. Any advice is appreciated on what neighborhoods I should look in or avoid to find my stucco house? And yes, I have spoken to a few realtors who advised me not to bother until I have my house here sold and apparently aren't too interested in helping until that happens.
Don't you mean those memories "stucko" in your head.

All kidding aside, I love those little stucco houses, but I'm happy with my little wooden bungalow. I wish you good luck in your search, both for the house, and a decent realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs