Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:26 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times

Advertisements

How come the natives causing these issues (YES, natives) always want to just cut taxes?

As someone who moved to and pays taxes in Colorado I have EVERY right to say how the population boom is causing major issues in Colorado.

Hard to see my state get destroyed by all of the people willing to let it rot.

Yes, new residents definitely can complain about it!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I can't stand that stretch because people just drive WAY to fast. I don't know what it is about that specific area but you can be doing the speed limit & people pass you like you are standing still. That plus riding up on your behind & forming a "clump" of cars all going 75 because someone HAS to be in the left lane driving side by side the guy in the right lane. Then a semi or two trying to do 80mph & you get a ridiculous swarm of people that have little to no reaction time ...

Ever notice how many of the accidents involve 3+ cars?
Well obviously you don't have the pent up rage that us Denverites can accumulate while trying to traverse.

When I drive at night, I see a lot more 65mphers than 90mphers, and they frustrate me. Especially when they are in the left lane.

I do love how I was in a string of 70mph drivers on the 35mph section of Perry Park road . It was like Need For Speed IRL! People are starting to treat Hwy 83 and 105 as the 3rd lane I 25 doesn't have and they're taking it at I25 speeds.

I wouldn't say I-25 is too much more dangerous than other roads given the amount of cars and miles.

Also, it's both transplants and natives clogging up I25. Mainly commuters who are either priced out of Denver or want Flying Horse square footage for their house. The fairest way to deal with it would be a property tax increase on the north end of the Springs to fund a 3rd lane expansion.

I rarely hit traffic in Denver when I drive. It's always this section right after Castle Rock and before Monument.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 PM

63 posts, read 102,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
How come the natives causing these issues (YES, natives) always want to just cut taxes?

As someone who moved to and pays taxes in Colorado I have EVERY right to say how the population boom is causing major issues in Colorado.

If I had it all to do over again, I think my journey west would have stopped around Kearney. Within an easy day's drive of here for a long weekend, then back to sanity.

When it comes to highways (and mind-sets) Colorado is just Missouri With Mountains. The "Somebody Show Me" state.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:40 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I and my family have lived here for 70 years and have almost always supported tax increases. It isn't all of us.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:12 AM

268 posts, read 344,953 times
TABOR is not the issue, it is politicians promising things and never delivering what they "promise".

When Gov. Owens passed the huge FASTER tax/fee increase many years ago it was to increase the road funding for much needed repairs and expansion. The fees raised something like $50 mil/year and then somehow that $50 mil was taken out of the general fund to pay for other goodies.

So, instead of $100 mil + per year we were still at the $50 mil funding level. Gee, ain't that great?

If the politicians had the guts they would put a gas tax on the ballot, hopefully they would ask for a doubling of the current tax (like they have now w/ hunting/fishing licenses) to help w/ roads and maintenance. We do pass tax increases if we know what they will be used for.

The long time residents in this state I worry about are those older folks on fixed incomes. How do they pay for increased property taxes and other fees etc... that keep going up year after year?

Are they just supposed to "move to a cheaper place" or maybe just eat one or two less meals per week to make ends meet? That does not seem very fair.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,675 times
I have supported some tax increases and not supported others...depending on what the measure is.

For those of you who have no problem paying higher taxes...you are sending in extra to the IRS and the Colorado Department of Revenue, right? 'Cause they'll take every extra dollar you give 'em. If you believe in higher taxes, go for it.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:14 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncurtisestes View Post
tabor is not the issue, it is politicians promising things and never delivering what they "promise".

When gov. Owens passed the huge faster tax/fee increase many years ago it was to increase the road funding for much needed repairs and expansion. The fees raised something like $50 mil/year and then somehow that $50 mil was taken out of the general fund to pay for other goodies.

So, instead of $100 mil + per year we were still at the $50 mil funding level. Gee, ain't that great?

If the politicians had the guts they would put a gas tax on the ballot, hopefully they would ask for a doubling of the current tax (like they have now w/ hunting/fishing licenses) to help w/ roads and maintenance. We do pass tax increases if we know what they will be used for.

The long time residents in this state i worry about are those older folks on fixed incomes. How do they pay for increased property taxes and other fees etc... That keep going up year after year?

Are they just supposed to "move to a cheaper place" or maybe just eat one or two less meals per week to make ends meet? That does not seem very fair.

bingo!!!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:36 AM

432 posts, read 1,202,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
...I wouldn't say I-25 is too much more dangerous than other roads given the amount of cars and miles.
The daily influx of CDOT emails about crashes on this stretch would suggest otherwise.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:43 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
At this point they'd be wise to plan 2 additional lanes each way instead of 1. By the time they get 1 lane put in each way, they'll have the same mess they have now.
If I were deciding, I'd opt for adding 1 lane in each direction between COS and Castle Rock, AND significantly upgrading C-83 since much of COS's growth is along and east of Powers. That would siphon some traffic off of I-25.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:44 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
How come the transplants causing these issues (YES, transplants) always want to just raise taxes?

As someone who grew up in Colorado I have EVERY right to say how the population boom is causing major issues in Colorado.

Hard to see my state get destroyed by all of the people moving in.

Yes, long-time residents definitely can complain about it!
I'll bet you there are Coloradans who have moved to other states, too. Darn Colorado trouble makers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs