Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 04:40 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,169,809 times

Advertisements

That section is going to be 20 times worse when it's a construction zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:43 AM

7,122 posts, read 9,191,080 times
Default Getting closer

Widening I-25 from Monument to Castle Rock: Gap project wins crucial federal funding | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"The push to widen Interstate 25 from Monument to Castle Rock just got a $65 million federal boost, a key chunk of funding for the project.

The grant comes from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Infrastructure for Rebuilding America program, state transportation officials said Tuesday.

The Colorado Department of Transportation wants to add two toll lanes to "the Gap," a two-lane stretch of about 18 miles, widening it to three lanes in each direction.

The plan has outraged some residents, who say toll lanes will only help those who pay the toll, and they'll amount to double taxation because local taxpayers already are contributing to the project."

This ought to be enough to reach the tipping point. Hopefully, work on this project will start soon.

I'm not thrilled about the Lexus Lane but I guess enough of the rich folks running late will clear out the remaining two lanes for us poor folks.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:17 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,331,659 times
Work could start as soon as August. Several El Paso and Douglas County Pols are against toll lanes.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,343,685 times
You know, on the surface I'm against it, but there's been more times than I can count when I would have handed over a $50 bill just to get out of a traffic jam at mile marker 172.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:46 PM

5,109 posts, read 3,363,607 times
I'm against the toll lanes as planned because the 3rd lane in each direction is a basic necessity. If they want toll lanes, then add a 4th lane and make that the toll lane, because even with 3 lanes, there will still be back-ups. The whole thing will be outdated before this construction is finished.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:08 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,178,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I'm against the toll lanes as planned because the 3rd lane in each direction is a basic necessity. If they want toll lanes, then add a 4th lane and make that the toll lane, because even with 3 lanes, there will still be back-ups. The whole thing will be outdated before this construction is finished.
You got that exactly correct-

People who work in Denver are still moving down here for somewhat less-expensive housing and many more are on the way (unfortunately).

"Traffic is STILL better than where I came from (they say)".

Traffic back ups will be a fact of life on this stretch- just like it is in Denver on weekends now.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:36 PM

1,013 posts, read 966,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Widening I-25 from Monument to Castle Rock: Gap project wins crucial federal funding | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"The push to widen Interstate 25 from Monument to Castle Rock just got a $65 million federal boost, a key chunk of funding for the project.

The grant comes from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Infrastructure for Rebuilding America program, state transportation officials said Tuesday.

The Colorado Department of Transportation wants to add two toll lanes to "the Gap," a two-lane stretch of about 18 miles, widening it to three lanes in each direction.

The plan has outraged some residents, who say toll lanes will only help those who pay the toll, and they'll amount to double taxation because local taxpayers already are contributing to the project."

This ought to be enough to reach the tipping point. Hopefully, work on this project will start soon.

I'm not thrilled about the Lexus Lane but I guess enough of the rich folks running late will clear out the remaining two lanes for us poor folks.
If enough people are willing to pay and fill that new lane then it really doesn’t matter if it’s a toll lane. It will significantly reduce traffic in the other two lanes.
I would assume it will be priced in a way to get a lot of use.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,560,429 times
As usual, CDOT is shortsighted when it comes to large freeway projects. When they don't have a choice, slap a toll lane to cover their rear. How about, not build the extra lane, wait a few more years, collect more funds and get it widened to 4 lanes each direction?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 PM

178 posts, read 172,009 times
I would rather these extra lanes not be built at all, because during construction it will be a nightmare, and after construction I will refuse to use the toll lanes anyway. It is not going to help with traffic, and will only serve to generate extra revenue for local government. And yes, if you research toll roads, you will find they pay for themselves multiple times over the course of time (and I'm sure that money will be squandered like the rest of our taxes).

For all of you that are telling us to stop complaining because the federal government is giving us a "free" grant, don't make me laugh. Guess where 90% of our taxes go? You guessed it! The federal government. They SHOULD pitch in to help us occasionally, because I'm sure all of us in Colorado springs have given the government a heck of a lot more than $65 million in a very short period of time.

Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 06-06-2018 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 08:32 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,331,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
You got that exactly correct-

People who work in Denver are still moving down here for somewhat less-expensive housing and many more are on the way (unfortunately).

"Traffic is STILL better than where I came from (they say)".

Traffic back ups will be a fact of life on this stretch- just like it is in Denver on weekends now.
Unfortunately, I think you are correct. I've been hearing this song since the early 1990s. However, from my perspective it has gotten significantly worse since I started driving here a long time before that. Until commuter rail is a part of the equation, expansion to highways will lead to expansion in population and the cycle will keep repeating. IMO, there are parts of interior COS that are way beyond capacity and look like Denver metro during commuting time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
As usual, CDOT is shortsighted when it comes to large freeway projects. When they don't have a choice, slap a toll lane to cover their rear. How about, not build the extra lane, wait a few more years, collect more funds and get it widened to 4 lanes each direction?
Waiting a few more years is also another repeating story I've hear since the 1990s. There has always been reasons to put it off and now we are 20 years past the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Hunter View Post
I would rather these extra lanes not be built at all, because during construction it will be a nightmare, and after construction I will refuse to use the toll lanes anyway. It is not going to help with traffic, and will only serve to generate extra revenue for local government. And yes, if you research toll roads, you will find they pay for themselves multiple times over the course of time (and I'm sure that money will be squandered like the rest of our taxes).

For all of you that are telling us to stop complaining because the federal government is giving us a "free" grant, don't make me laugh. Guess where 90% of our taxes go? You guessed it! The federal government. They SHOULD pitch in to help us occasionally, because I'm sure all of us in Colorado springs have given the government a heck of a lot more than $65 million in a very short period of time.
This has been part of the argument over the last two decades and guess what, construction costs have soared, population has soared, and it will be more painful than ever. Putting it off won't help at all. As Dr Dog points out above, even if the toll lane only takes 10% of the traffic, that is a pretty decent reduction in the other non toll lanes that will benefit those of us who don't want to pay. This stretch of road averages one accident a day and one fatality a year. I agree with you on the taxed part of if and I'm not a fan of the toll lane, but at this point, its got to get done.

Don't loose site of the fact that this construction is not simply adding another traffic lane. It will also add increased shoulder width on both side of the travel lanes. This is the equivalent of adding three lanes per side so when those accidents do occur, traffic can more easily be routed around the scene to keep things flowing, unlike today where you can sit for an hour or more as cars are directed around the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs