Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this was a Black Forest thing particularly, but growing up there, I always remember the sounds of gunfire ALL THE TIME. It really did sound like a warzone at times. It was from a bunch of different directions, with at least 7 or 8 distinct shooters. One guy used to go down in a ditch and fire off at 2AM with night vision goggles. I was down there this weekend and someone was firing off clip after clip from a fully auto... Black Forest is a residential neighboorhood (suppposedly), so I don't know why people (and the police too) thought it was okay to shoot all the time.

This is one oddity I didn't really care for about the Springs. Dragonman, although he is a cool guy with a solid, well run establishment, seemed to be a representative of a big class of people in the Springs: people obsessed over guns.

Thankfully, they shut down shooting along Rampart Range road because it looked like a ****pile and was actually pretty dangerous due to people getting drunk, shooting, and leaving their crap. I don't think this is common for most of the rest of the US but I could be wrong.

And then there's places like this:https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9984...7i13312!8i6656 with razor barbed wire facing outwards and a bunker... It's just weird.

Thoughts as to why this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 04:23 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
If they shoot "all the time" they must be aiming at targets and they must be good shots.

I haven't read about anybody there getting hit.

Some people who live in rural areas enjoy shooting guns. I'm shocked!

I used to own land out there and I subsequently sold it because I did not think I'd get along with the neighbors. One thing for sure is that I was not going to be able to change them.

If you don't like a place, don't live there.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:09 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I think there is or used to be a shooting range up that way, perhaps that is what you heard. I hear Fort Carson from where I live - various live fire range practice. Plus, they put in a public shooting range right by it that I can sometimes hear as well. It is usually background noise that you don't notice.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:24 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I don't know if this was a Black Forest thing particularly, but growing up there, I always remember the sounds of gunfire ALL THE TIME. It really did sound like a warzone at times. It was from a bunch of different directions, with at least 7 or 8 distinct shooters. One guy used to go down in a ditch and fire off at 2AM with night vision goggles. I was down there this weekend and someone was firing off clip after clip from a fully auto... Black Forest is a residential neighboorhood (suppposedly), so I don't know why people (and the police too) thought it was okay to shoot all the time.

This is one oddity I didn't really care for about the Springs. Dragonman, although he is a cool guy with a solid, well run establishment, seemed to be a representative of a big class of people in the Springs: people obsessed over guns.

Thankfully, they shut down shooting along Rampart Range road because it looked like a ****pile and was actually pretty dangerous due to people getting drunk, shooting, and leaving their crap. I don't think this is common for most of the rest of the US but I could be wrong.

And then there's places like this:https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9984...7i13312!8i6656 with razor barbed wire facing outwards and a bunker... It's just weird.

Thoughts as to why this is?
They shut down Rampart? That's weird...my older boys just went shooting "up there" last weekend.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
They shut down Rampart? That's weird...my older boys just went shooting "up there" last weekend.
I thought it was closed down... unless they went way back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If they shoot "all the time" they must be aiming at targets and they must be good shots.

I haven't read about anybody there getting hit.

Some people who live in rural areas enjoy shooting guns. I'm shocked!

I used to own land out there and I subsequently sold it because I did not think I'd get along with the neighbors. One thing for sure is that I was not going to be able to change them.

If you don't like a place, don't live there.
No one got hit (although a few almost did up on Rampart Range) yeah. But Black forest is a residential neighborhood (all have 5 acres), so it's not necessarily rural. I totally get wanting to shoot some, but the people up there take it to a whole new level. I mean 2AM? Really?

I don't think there's anything anyone can do about it, but it is annoying and strange. The thing is, it's only a handful, and most of the other people don't like it.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:59 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
IIRC there was one fatality a few years ago in the Rampart Range shooting area and I think I heard it was closed since it couldn't be adequately cared for or managed. My memory may be hazy on that one. One reason that area got a bad name was all the trash and damage left behind by what I'm sure were a small fraction of the overall user population, but it was enough to cause concern. The story in the Gazette that really iced the cake was photo's of a tree that had intentionally been "chopped down" by gunfire.

I suspect there are some preppers up in BF who expect some apocalyptic societal collapse any day now. Some wild-eyed folks have been predicting that for years, especially when the Great Recession hit and a black man became President - it brought out the loonies who listen to crazy talk radio all day and really have lost touch with reality.

I remember a guy like that I used to see in King Soopers at Union and Briargate. He looked and acted like that loud mouthed drill instructor guy in TV commercials, always wore camo, had a jeep festooned with NOBAMA bumper stickers and orated in the store about the coming horrors of ObamaCare. Haven't seen him for a good 5 years now, so I guess he's living off his stash of Y2K survival biscuits and water with his radio tuned to the National Defense CONELRAD emergency broadcasting channel.

There are a lot of nice folks up in BF but it seems the sort of place some people go to hide .... takes all kinds, eh.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:36 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Parts of the Rampart Range Road are in national forest, and it is legal to shoot in national forest unless posted. (There are plenty of posted places, though, along that particular road). There also used to be an actual range up there, which did close.

I remember one time a few years ago I was hiking at Lovell Gulch and had a ricocheted bullet whiz past my head because some people were shooting at a pull off on the Rampart Range Road that was posted as a no shooting area (obviously because of the nearby hiking trail).

Old 08-06-2016, 12:41 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Parts of the Rampart Range Road are in national forest, and it is legal to shoot in national forest unless posted. (There are plenty of posted places, though, along that particular road). There also used to be an actual range up there, which did close.

I remember one time a few years ago I was hiking at Lovell Gulch and had a ricocheted bullet whiz past my head because some people were shooting at a pull off on the Rampart Range Road that was posted as a no shooting area (obviously because of the nearby hiking trail).
Yikes! Those boys of mine had better be going to a legal area...

Old 08-06-2016, 04:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Black Forest is county. It is not city. It has pockets of developments that can give the impression it is residential, but it is not. It also has areas that fall under commercial guidelines as well as agricultural guidelines. It would be important to note not just what zoning you are in around your immediate area, but what else is around you within a several mile radius. There are still a large number of 25-50-75 acre or larger "farms" within the forest that can right next to a subdivided and developed areas of 2.5 or 5 acres homesites. This is actually quite common through out the county in places like Falcon, Peyton, and Elllicot as well as the Forest.

There also are going to be a percentage of doomsday preppers that you encounter in almost any rural setting, like Black Forest, or the eastern plains, or the Rocky Mtns. I don't know that I'd say Cos attracts these in any greater variety than other areas of the state, nor would I say we attract gun nuts in any greater quantity. If you have personal experience of a neighbor frequently and indiscriminately discharging firearms at all hours of the night, I don't know that I generalize the area as gun nut haven anymore than you could call the same area eastern California, although there are a number of transplants from Cali living there as well.

The county is zoned and does have ordinances against noise as well as a host of other items. If there was someone discharging firearms at 2 in the morning within earshot of developments, that is well outside the limits of reasonable usage and the Sheriff should have been notified.

Self centered obnoxious gun owners are no more unique than self centered obnoxious drivers. Both can be deadly dangerous at any given time. Both can demonstrate disregard for those around them. Both may not fully grasp the implication of using their device in an unsafe manner. Unfortunately, anytime you begin increasing population density of an area, like what has been happening in Cos since around 1970, then you will encounter increasing percentages of people that will be on the fringe of rest of what society considers reasonable.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:11 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Where does the shooting along Rampart take place? I was considering riding my bike up that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs