Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 26,900 times

Advertisements

Ok so im planning to attend college in colorado springs when i graduate. Today at school we had a guest speaker and she said that it is a VERY racist town. Im hispanic and now im having second thoughts on going there because of what she said. Is this true? is it a racist town?? I really enjoy visiting there and i really want to attend college there but now im a little scared to. all help is appreciated. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 04:23 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
Where are you attended school?

Old 11-27-2006, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 26,900 times
im going to attend the university of colorado in colorado springs

Old 11-27-2006, 04:36 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
The reason people think CS is a very racist town is because it is very, very conservative. Racism and Conservatives don't neccessarily go hand in hand. I haven't really heard of much racism in CS but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Traditionally UCCS has a pretty good relationship with the town, and is the more conservative school out of the CU system. Now if you were going to CC you would probably feel unaccepted in the community.

Going to UCCS I wouldn't expect you would have any problem at all. Good Luck.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:50 PM

40 posts, read 217,361 times
Growing up in Colorado, I know there are alot of hispanics there. I'm sorry you have hesitations now. It really is a beautiful state - with beautiful people from all walks of life. I think if you look into it a bit more, you will soon fine that there are more people there to welcome you than some of those other ignorant morons! Good luck!

Aloha, Michelle

Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 PM

170 posts, read 761,702 times
Twisted Elegance,

I don't live in CO yet...but I wanted to respond anyways to say I think you should go regardless of what you have heard! The racist people are just close-minded morons....so don't let those type of people stop you from doing what you want. Did you know that the mayor of Colorado Springs is hispanic?! I hope you end up going to that university in CO Springs if that is what you want to do. That is too bad that speaker you had at your school had to generalize the whole population of Colorado Springs.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:56 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,004 times
one thing to remember too is that it is a military city, so there is diversity here because of that alone. I have lived here all of my life and have never witnessed anything like that. Even on the conservative perspective you can go to any of the local employers that are known for being conservative and see every race there. please come to our beautiful city! bashep

Old 11-27-2006, 11:05 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Elegance View Post
Today at school we had a guest speaker and she said that it is a VERY racist town.
I wonder what is she basing that opinion on. Did she say why she felt that way?

While there are some racist attitudes most anywhere you go in this country, I really don't think you will find a significant amount of that in Colorado Springs. As others have stated, being a military town there is a lot of diversity. I would also agree with xxman777, that just because CS is politically conservative and has many evangelical Christian organizations, doesn't mean it is racist. Doesn't God say to love one another and that He created man? So, to be racist would be in violation of God's Word (sin).

Old 11-28-2006, 10:06 AM

648 posts, read 2,940,004 times
well said gpraceman!! I agree 100%. I am so curious who this woman is! bashep

Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,278 times
I think the big attitude problem centers around illegals, not hispanics in general. Many do resent the presence of illegal aliens. I am among them.

However, some may assume that someone is illegal, just because of the color of their skin. I don't know that that is a racist attitude, but it is a very bad assumption and just plain ignorant.

Again, CS is very diverse and you are less likely to get those racist and bad attitudes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs