Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:05 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

The older I get, it seems the more I appreciate the view. I've lived here since I was 4 & now I'm 48. When I was young I always used to complain that we didn't live by the ocean (I guess it's in my blood somehow, I was born on an island & I love the water).

My dad, who traveled alot on buisness always told me "You have no idea how lucky you are; everywhere I go, when I tell people where I'm from, they always tell me I'm so lucky to live here."

Now; I get it. The view isn't "static"; it's constantly changing & shifting. The shadows, the sun, the swirling clouds. The red rocks, the quaint little houses on the winding steep roads in Manitou ... Sometimes there are mists that rise & the sun will highlight every line of the foothills, the snow that gleams like crystal; it can be truly awesome.

Sometimes when it's stormy it looks like we are in a scene from Tolkien's Mountains of Mordor. Then before an hour passes we are clear & bright like a picture postcard; I do feel "lucky" now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 11:49 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Thanks for all the answer, but I think I remain confused. I see house after house where view is from back porch and a pine tree or several block the view. Those trees won't lose their leaves. Having lived in the southwest most of my life, summer in the Springs are so mild I can't see the need for a lot of shade.
Compared to other areas of the southwest, perhaps our summers do seem mild in comparison. To me, our summers seem to be getting progressively hotter.

But much of that depends on location. I have direct sun all morning and afternoon with no shade. In the summer, my house turns into an oven - I would not call my summers "mild". On the plus side ... a view of Pikes Peak looms large from my porch.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:49 PM

63 posts, read 102,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Now; I get it. The view isn't "static"; it's constantly changing & shifting. The shadows, the sun, the swirling clouds.
That is the beauty of living near the mountains, and nearly any mountain will do. It's the interplay of shadow and sun mixed with swirling clouds.

Des Moines doesn't have any mountains and I doubt the difference in elevation between its high and low points is 200 ft. Unlike Colorado Springs, Des Moines has a city skyline. Most skyscrapers are monolithic and not that interesting, but I've always admired 801 Grand for how it interacts between sun and shadow. Its personality changes every few hours.

or view the image on Twitter

Old 09-19-2016, 12:32 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Don't value the view?-100_2172.jpgI left Divide (after 35 years) with a close up view of Pikes Peak, and am now in Tucson.

I couldn't live where there aren't mountains. I have the Catalina's in my backyard now instead of Pikes Peak, and Mtngigi is right. The mountains change constantly and I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Don't value the view?-out-my-front-door-4-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs